Lt. Commander
# 61
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhighison View Post
When deciding to make the STO Caitians plantigrade or digigrade ("flat-foot" or "on-toes") we decided to go with plantigrade, the "flat-foot" option.

We took a look at what would give players the most compatibility with currently available costume options and decided that most players would want to use as many of the different Uniform pants and boots as possible, so the flat-foot plantigrade was the best option.

Plus, we were slightly torn between the Animated Series Caitians, and the ones portrayed in the TOS Films. Since the films established some canon for Caitians to be plantigrade, and plantigrade offered the most compatibility with customizations, that's what we went with.

Now, there is a possibility of adding some "bare feet" options in the future (similar to how the Gorn can have bare feet), but it's not currently in development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
It would be nice to at least get some acknowledgment of this and that they put it on the engineering reports so we know how far they are on fixing it.
There you go, from this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-24-2011, 06:03 AM
yes, but that was AGES ago.
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hardy View Post
yes, but that was AGES ago.
Only when you have a short attention span.
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Only when you have a short attention span.
And moreover, the reply was basically, 'We made this call and are probably sticking with it based on various reasons.' Reasons both reasonable and canonical.
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
well, to be fair, a LOT of the junk thrown into this game is from the cartoon. the cartoon's cannon made the leg thing pretty clear, they talked about it a LOT.

case and point - the Shelet cub was clearly modeled after the cartoon one not the one (that shouldn't have been) in Enterprise. that whole idea of a pet shalet is BARELY cannon at all... unless you are talking about the cartoon... so, pretending that the movie cannon is the reason is just bull poo.
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hardy View Post
so, pretending that the movie cannon is the reason is just bull poo.
No, it's encountering a canon conflict (because the canon is hilariously inconsistent) and making a choice as to which interpretation to pick.
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
yea, well, the entire (non-cartoon) cannon only had 1 true Catian in 1 movie 1 time. basing it off that is just silly. that guy was a grump. probably because his feet were bunched into boots :-p

yes, star trek in general has a LOT of consistancy issues... especially because of Enterprise... but this issue, as well as the earlier mentioned Ferengi issues and the few other species flaws should be adressed with a better excuse than "I blame cannon"
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see this as well. Going by CO tech, we could still have shorts for men and skirts for women so far as the costumes go, and M'Ress wore a skirt. They could just attach it to the hips layer and not allow for any pants to be worn, I don't think any of us who want digitigrade legs would have an issue with that.

I just hope that they'll put to use the tech they already have, since the CO and STO engines seem to be exactly the same, for many obvious reasons. I can't imagine it would be that impossible to port the code for beast legs over to STO, and then whip up some shorts/skirts for a hips layer addition. But I accept that it would take development time and wouldn't be a priority.

I realise it won't be happening soon. But hey, I can dream, can't I?
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
it doesn't need to happen soon... but it does need to happen at some point... that is a fact.