Lt. Commander
# 121
02-24-2011, 06:48 AM
"act like an adult" = "life skills" = "common knowledge" . All made up sentences ment for coerce (why isn't there a spell check for that word?) rather than inform.

Lt. Commander
# 122
02-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Okay here is your definition:

http://www.wikihow.com/Act-Like-an-Adult
Lt. Commander
# 123
02-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Okay here is your definition:

http://www.wikihow.com/Act-Like-an-Adult
I am almost 40 and have never met anyone like that. Must be mythical like leprecans and eskimo's.
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
I am almost 40 and have never met anyone like that. Must be mythical like leprecans and eskimo's.
Were it not this thread, a few nice replies come to my mind... but I'll stay polite.
It's an ideal to which we all may strive. That's about it.
Lt. Commander
# 125
02-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Were it not this thread, a few nice replies come to my mind... but I'll stay polite.
So, if you wish to say something that is "not acting like an adult", but don't, you are "acting like an adult", right?

Following that, if you wish to be a good person, but want to kill everyone around you and pee all over thier dead corpses, that still makes you a good person, right?
Lt. Commander
# 126
02-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Subnormality has a nice way of putting it.
Lt. Commander
# 127
02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
The reason that people use the term 'act like an adult' is because adults can control their reactions while children cannot. An adult can remain calm during a stressful situation, many choose not to but they can, a child cannot.

Here's an example: Someone starts a thread and explains quite logically why your favorite power should be nerfed.

Typical forum rager response; "There's nothing wrong with that power. Learn 2 pLa n00b! Blah blah blah, etc. And your a idiot."

Here's how an adult responds; "A nerf is completely unnecessary. There are different ways to counter this power. This, this and this. I see people using this power often and I seldom have a problem breaking free of it."

The Internet: Where everyone is Gary Mitchell
Lt. Commander
# 128
02-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The reason that people use the term 'act like an adult' is because adults can control their reactions while children cannot. An adult can remain calm during a stressful situation, many choose not to but they can, a child cannot.

Here's an example: Someone starts a thread and explains quite logically why your favorite power should be nerfed.

Typical forum rager response; "There's nothing wrong with that power. Learn 2 pLa n00b! Blah blah blah, etc. And your a idiot."

Here's how an adult responds; "A nerf is completely unnecessary. There are different ways to counter this power. This, this and this. I see people using this power often and I seldom have a problem breaking free of it."

Here is the thing though: an "adult" is really anyone over the legal age. So assuming the rager is the legal age, then that is ALSO how an adult responds. So the term "adult" really has nothing to do with it.
Lt. Commander
# 129
02-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Here is the thing though: an "adult" is really anyone over the legal age. So assuming the rager is the legal age, then that is ALSO how an adult responds. So the term "adult" really has nothing to do with it.
I don't know who you're disagreeing with Grand Nagus, because it isn't me.

I agree that adults often don't act like that, only that they can and should. I was simply explaining how that phrase was meant.

Oh and it looks like I wasn't fast enough with the edit so you missed my link. You should take a look at it, it's pretty funny.
Lt. Commander
# 130
02-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

Now your definition of an adult is someone with good communication skills. That isn't a good premise to continue because that that implies that, for example, dyslexics, or people with poor grammer, can't be adults.

In all reality (and I have tried this numerous times) if you type out a long well thought out post you will get "crushed under the wall of text" and nobody reading it or NOT getting the response required.
If you start a post off with "zomgbbq dis is da suxxxx" you will at least get a response. Which, in the end, is the only reason to post on a messageboard for all to see; To be 'heard'.
This is why you see multiple threads, and people posting in general discussion rather than the individual forums. Not because you want to get your message across. But to express yourself.

There is no point on cryptic or anyone enforcing how they feel a conversation should be. They will most definetly try though.
Closed Thread