Lt. Commander
# 131
02-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Now your definition of an adult is someone with good communication skills. That isn't a good premise to continue because that that implies that, for example, dyslexics, or people with poor grammer, can't be adults.

In all reality (and I have tried this numerous times) if you type out a long well thought out post you will get "crushed under the wall of text" and nobody reading it or NOT getting the response required.
If you start a post off with "zomgbbq dis is da suxxxx" you will at least get a response. Which, in the end, is the only reason to post on a messageboard for all to see; To be 'heard'.
This is why you see multiple threads, and people posting in general discussion rather than the individual forums. Not because you want to get your message across. But to express yourself.

There is no point on cryptic or anyone enforcing how they feel a conversation should be. They will most definetly try though.
while i can see your side and prefer it, you have to realize that the age of twitter and facebook (both stupid and pathetic forms of communication) have defined many in our society today. it is the only form of communication that most will even consider looking at.

so, anything worth reading, will literally be less then 140 characters, or posted on your page so others can read about your life.

it is unfortunate that facebook has ruined true communication paths and the twitter further ruins it by shortening it.
Lt. Commander
# 132
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
while i can see your side and prefer it, you have to realize that the age of twitter and facebook (both stupid and pathetic forms of communication) have defined many in our society today. it is the only form of communication that most will even consider looking at.

so, anything worth reading, will literally be less then 140 characters, or posted on your page so others can read about your life.

it is unfortunate that facebook has ruined true communication paths and the twitter further ruins it by shortening it.
I wrote an article about 10 years ago about the McNuggets of communication.
Which is why "Zomg this is da suxx" is the only present and future of communication on the internet.
-You could fight it outright like cryptic and lose.
-You could try to objectively try open discussion with the expresser to decipher what they are actually trying to say.
-or you could make posts about how the world doesn't communicate the way you want it to.
Lt. Commander
# 133
02-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
There is no point on cryptic or anyone enforcing how they feel a conversation should be.
Actually there is a good reason or point in doing so.

Calm discussion filled with logical points is always preferable to post after post of "U iS dA sUxx0rs!! LoLz!!111eleventyoneoneone111!!!"

These forums exist because Cryptic wants to get feedback from their customers so that they can improve their product/service. Threads filled with posts giving detailed explanations on why people don't like a certain thing or mission gives them the information that they need.

Thread after thread of incoherent, illiterate rage isn't helpful to anyone.

Finally, if you honestly can't see the value of calm logical discussion over screaming like an incoherent maniac then just keep posting. I'm sure a moderator will be by shortly to explain it to you.
Lt. Commander
# 134
02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
These forums exist because Cryptic wants to get feedback from their customers so that they can improve their product/service. Threads filled with posts giving detailed explanations on why people don't like a certain thing or mission gives them the information that they need.
I would add that it is also a valuable resource to the player community as well. Many people post guides or walkthroughs to help those who have not run those things yet. It is also a place where players can share information on builds, gear or tactics and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 135
02-24-2011, 08:20 AM
This post has been edited to remove content to keep the thread on topic. ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 136
02-24-2011, 08:24 AM
For the question "adult", we've not set much of an age limit. We MUST ensure that a certain minimum age is there when entering the forums (13); and after that, it is follow how someone chooses to express themselves.

As PF just said:
Quote:
The reason that people use the term 'act like an adult' is because adults can control their reactions while children cannot. An adult can remain calm during a stressful situation, many choose not to but they can, a child cannot.
I do not expect anyone to sit back with carpet slippers, puffing a pipe and going "I say!" every 2 sentences.
I would however hope that everyone understands that a written medium, such as the forums, offer you time to reflect on what you write. That is a level of consciousness I do believe anyone in a working society may ask of their fellow 'adult', no matter what their age is. (And I have met guild leaders who where very mature at age 15 - age does NOT make the term in the case of how one behaves.)

Quote:
There is no point on cryptic or anyone enforcing how they feel a conversation should be. They will most definetly try though.
Oh, certainly not. We cannot change anyone. If someone wishes to be or behave a certain way, we are not going to give the advice a life coach would give, a spouse or a parent.

What we can and MUST however, is keep these forums workable and manageable.

We MUST ensure that the community as a whole can use the forums. That the flow of information can take place. And that rules about a certain etiquette, which we have set as the foundation of these boards, are heeded. We ask everyone to follow those rules when they join us here on the boards.
If they do not (and with this, back to topic) we have means for the community to speak up and let us know about it. We also have the means of stopping someone who is being destructive to the goals of this forum. And while we understand that even a person who has a bad day is a customer - so is the other poster they just gave a biting reply to.
Lt. Commander
# 137
02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Actually there is a good reason or point in doing so.

Calm discussion filled with logical points is always preferable to post after post of "U iS dA sUxx0rs!! LoLz!!111eleventyoneoneone111!!!"

Thread after thread of incoherent, illiterate rage isn't helpful to anyone.

Finally, if you honestly can't see the value of calm logical discussion over screaming like an incoherent maniac then just keep posting. I'm sure a moderator will be by shortly to explain it to you.
I am not saying that calm logical discussion isn't prefered. In actual proven fact, it is the only thing that is helpful.
But you can't force people to do that. It has never worked.
Let's look at it this way:
-There will be peace in the middle east
-There will be a cheap-easily accessible form of energy
-People will all have calm logical discussions

Which of the above 3 is most likely?
Lt. Commander
# 138
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Quote:
I wrote an article about 10 years ago about the McNuggets of communication.
Which is why "Zomg this is da suxx" is the only present and future of communication on the internet.
-You could fight it outright like cryptic and lose.
-You could try to objectively try open discussion with the expresser to decipher what they are actually trying to say.
-or you could make posts about how the world doesn't communicate the way you want it to.
I can see where you are going with this, but that's no reason to actually even encourage such typing. Hmm, have you ever read the book "Higher Education" by Jerry Pournelle? It's definitely not the future I'd like to see.
Lt. Commander
# 139
02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
What we can and MUST however, is keep these forums workable and manageable.

We MUST ensure that the community as a whole can use the forums. That the flow of information can take place. And that rules about a certain etiquette, which we have set as the foundation of these boards, are heeded. We ask everyone to follow those rules when they join us here on the boards.
If they do not (and with this, back to topic) we have means for the community to speak up and let us know about it. We also have the means of stopping someone who is being destructive to the goals of this forum. And while we understand that even a person who has a bad day is a customer - so is the other poster they just gave a biting reply to.
Again. I undestand. I always have.
Then I propose to you: Is it likely that you, or I guess Cryptic, may not want a messageboard as a way of communication THIS is the way people communicate on the internet and it will ONLY get worse.

Is there likely a better way that
1) Provides "identity" to the anonymous
2) sorts out what the 'expresser' is truely wanting but may not be able or may not want to express it correctly
because that right there, is the actual problem; Not the world, but the environment.
Lt. Commander
# 140
02-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
But you can't force people to do that. It has never worked.
Actually you can. In fact if history has proven nothing else it has proven that force, pure naked force is the only thing that does work.

It will work on this forum if the moderators keep doing their job. Rulebreakers will keep racking up infractions until they're banned. Others will either see this happen and change their actions or they will also be banned. Eventually the only ones left will be those with the sense to at least act like an adult, even if they would prefer not to be.

People have calm intelligent discussions every single day. If they can do it then so can you.
Closed Thread