Lt. Commander
# 141
02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
[font="Verdana"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Actually you can. In fact if history has proven nothing else it has proven that force, pure naked force is the only thing that does work.
It will work on this forum if the moderators keep doing their job. Rulebreakers will keep racking up infractions until they're banned. Others will either see this happen and change their actions or they will also be banned. Eventually the only ones left will be those with the sense to at least act like an adult, even if they would prefer not to be.
I can't really respond to that with words. i guess this emoticon is the best way I can truely show how I feel about that :
ok ok ok ok. One word:This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko

Quote:

People have calm intelligent discussions every single day. If they can do it then so can you.
On the internet?
Lt. Commander
# 142
02-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm not going to discuss politics with you and I would appreciate it if you would stop breaking the forum rules by bringing that subject up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
On the internet?
Yes, even on the internet.

Look, the absence of force is the reason that people are rude trolls on the internet.

1,000 years ago people were very polite because if you weren't you were likely to get a sword or spear stuck in your neck.

100 years ago people were polite because if you weren't you just might catch a bullet from someone's six-gun.

Today people IRL are fairly polite because the occasional smack upside the head/stabbing/shooting does happen. We see in on the news fairly often anyway.

But on the internet you're completely safe! So on the internet everyone is free to be a complete rude jerk. That was specifically why I used that picture of Gary Mitchell in an earlier post. Because that is what happens to people when they lose all fear.

On this forum all you have to fear is the moderators.
Lt. Commander
# 143
02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 144
02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
I'm not going to discuss politics with you and I would appreciate it if you would stop breaking the forum rules by bringing that subject up.

Yes, even on the internet.

Look, the absence of force is the reason that people are rude trolls on the internet.

1,000 years ago people were very polite because if you weren't you were likely to get a sword or spear stuck in your neck.

100 years ago people were polite because if you weren't you just might catch a bullet from someone's six-gun.

Today people IRL are fairly polite because the occasional smack upside the head/stabbing/shooting does happen. We see in on the news fairly often anyway.

But on the internet you're completely safe! So on the internet everyone is free to be a complete rude jerk. That was specifically why I used that picture of Gary Mitchell in an earlier post. Because that is what happens to people when they lose all fear.

On this forum all you have to fear is the moderators.
even the net is not free from fallout - remember the killing in China? (or was it S. Korea?) where the kid got killed by a sword?

trolls will be trolls, people will express and define the expressions as they see fit. what one person thinks is harmless, another takes it personal. where to draw the line?

even the mods, with the power they have, have at times, i feel, overstepped and taken action when not really warranted. but then that was "MY" point of view.

i moded a board before. and it is rather difficult to determine the words and actions at times. often i would contact the poster and ask for clarification prior to infraction. but that was a personal stance i took. often times the poster would edit the post and make remarks as to why.

STO is a tad larger and more robust then the one i moded, so i am sure they have less time to commit to friendly negotiations as i did. let alone the fact that many today feel as you posted, that the net is a booth from which they can spew forth expressions and not feel the repercussions...
Lt. Commander
# 145
02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
On the internet?
Cannot speak about the internet as a whole. It's pretty durn big.

On these forums? Yes. We set rules and we enforce them. If they are broken, we give points.
Gather too many points and we may permanently exclude someone from the use of the forums.
Gather too many of these and we believe that a poster is unwilling OR unable to follow these rules.

In either case: We do not wish to have them join the forum community then. Because we wish for users to folow those rules. *Edit to include to last poster: We do not negotiate the rules. Anyone may submit a ticket and have their infraction be checked by another moderator. They can check the posting history and even see the posting from before when it was moderated and at the time of the report. Based on that, we act. Not based on "But I had a bad day".
Lt. Commander
# 146
02-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
I can't really respond to that with words. i guess this emoticon is the best way I can truely show how I feel about that :
ok ok ok ok. One word: This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko

Quote:
On the internet?
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko
Lt. Commander
# 147
02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Cannot speak about the internet as a whole. It's pretty durn big.

On these forums? Yes. We set rules and we enforce them. If they are broken, we give points.
Gather too many points and we may permanently exclude someone from the use of the forums.
Gather too many of these and we believe that a poster is unwilling OR unable to follow these rules.
Being described as a 'small company', does Cryptic feel that this is the best use of resources?
Lt. Commander
# 148
02-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Being described as a 'small company', does Cryptic feel that this is the best use of resources?
Having unmoderated forums turning into 4chan could actually in extreme cases spell legal trouble for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 149
02-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
*Edit to include to last poster: We do not negotiate the rules. Anyone may submit a ticket and have their infraction be checked by another moderator. They can check the posting history and even see the posting from before when it was moderated and at the time of the report. Based on that, we act. Not based on "But I had a bad day".
i understand. but even mods have "bad" days and err in how they mod. by then, the person that got the infraction is forced to jump through hoops to resolve the issue.

im not saying it is a fool proof system, and i agree with the rules, but in all honesty, your ticket system is lacking.
and takes way too long to resolve a persons issue. ("IF" they even get a response)

dont take this as an attack, but as a review of perception from my angle. for reasons i cannot discuss nor choose to revive, but enough to recall to a degree for this post.
Lt. Commander
# 150
02-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Quote:
If a developer, IT engineer or environment designer was doing it - possibly not.
But I may need to point out that you'd rather not have Stormshade or myself actually try to tinker up any code for any game. If anyone feels the current devs cause problems, wait till I try to submit the next new ship! It may, if I am lucky, look like a big 2 dimensional square with MAYBE a gray texture. ...maybe.
Closed Thread