Lt. Commander
# 11
02-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
Fully agree with this + we need dual banks to fire from better positions on ships. Firing from the side of the saucer looks lame.
I'm not sure I agree with the OP, but I definitely agree seeing the dual beams fire from the front of the Tier 2 Constitution's saucer section is ... unexpected. I would be extremely happy if it fired dual beams from the bottom of the saucer--just like the blue phasers for the Original Constitution do.

That said, I do like that the Miranda fires them from the struts on the roll bar like in ST2.

It's all very situational, based on the model.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-21-2011, 12:18 AM
i would just like to have a shorter phaser effect and you can adjust the power of your shots. (for a warning or a full power supper killer shot) cuz the weapon power settings dont give you much choice. but i totally agree with all the above. its a great idea. and i hope the devs support it cuz i know how annoying it is being in a galaxy R. shooting 3 fore beams... :/
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-21-2011, 02:16 AM
I would like that dual banks fired from the gray phaser bank that every fed ship has instead of the windows in the hull...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2011, 06:31 AM
A similiar idea was put forth in another thread, though the mechanics differ.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ighlight=Roach

I see no reason why the graphics can not just be tweaked to show fewer beams but still deliver the same level of damage output without changing game mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-24-2011, 03:48 AM
The mechanic don't need to change, they are fine the way it is, only the FX that needs fixing to fire from the proper places of the ship. If you attack from above, you should fire the ventral arrays, not dorsal. This would avoid the beam arrays appear to be cutting your hull to reach the enemy. Also the firing points for Dual Beams are at the ship's saucer side, not form the normal arrays or special bones (like the turrets on NX-1 Enterprise)
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
The problem with multiple beams is that the all fire from a single point for each facing. Same for turrets and cannons. It looks really silly (although I recognise the practical reasons behind it). If more firing points were utilised for each beam, the result would have been aesthetically more pleasing not to mention suitable for a vessel carrying multiple hardpoints. I hope someone takes a look at that, since space combat is the most defining element of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
I do think this would look better. I'm not a big fan of the "disco ball" effect.

I also agree that having the beam "travel" along the length of a array strip, originating at a point nearest the target, would additionally improve visual quality.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm not for reducing the number of beams of the ships. After all, each beam "area" can fire a bream as seen in TNG, and Nemesis. I am for, however, to show the beam firing from a position closest to the enemy and "not cutting through your ship".
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I have always though the phaser/energy weapon effects were poor and did not represent star trek as well as they should. To many beams....the fx are to large on most ships and when you fire the animation clips through the saucer. Meh just my 2 cents.