Lt. Commander
One of the cooler things about Star Trek, to me, is the capacity to create language. I mean, it has spawned an entire usable conversational lanugage, Klingon. Beyond that, we have numerous species who have many named individuals, and by those names, we can get at least a taste of what their languages sound like. Not sure what I mean? We know that Grock sound like a Ferengi name, Joren Vidar sounds Bajoran, B'Thar sounds Klingon, and Spanek sounds Vulcan--even though there are no characters in canon with those names. This is because we're used to the patterns of sounds introduced in other names.

In STO, though, we have lots of playable species and BO species who have few or no canonical names, amongst them are Caitian, Benzite, Pakled, Gorn, Nausicaan, and Lethean. And yet, when you go around the game, when you run into other players, and find out the names they're using, you find that there is a collective sense of what, say, the Caitian language should "feel" like, based on the names people are giving their Caitian toons.

What's really cool is that all of us in-game are, in a rudimentary way, giving shape to the languages of Star Trek species who previously had no language carved in stone.

And what do those languages feel like? That's what i sought to investigate.

I've been asking around in-game, asking my fleet, getting feedback from a thread I posted on here a couple of weeks ago, even hanging out around ESD and Qo'noS, learning the names that people were giving their toons and BOs. I've compiled some pretty impressive lists, esp for Andorians, Orions, and Caitians. Then, I ran these lists through an algorithm programme (found at: http://www.nexi.com/fun/rw/index.html ) that determines the frequency of letter combinations of a given list of words, then produces a list of brand-new "words" based on these combinations.

With this information now in my hand, I am opening the Sato Institute of Xenolinguistics (SIX). I post the lists that I've compiled, in case you're stumped on a name for a toon but still want something that sounds realistic. Or maybe you want to compose a little message in a made-up language that "sounds" Orion for gaming purposes--just use the Orion word/name list (soon to come) as your starting point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
(My internet was acting weird so I'm finishing my post here)

Feel free to play around with the SIX lists however you want.

First list coming up in a bit: Andorian, followed by Orion.

WIth a few more names, I can produce lists for Caitian, Bolian, Nausicaan, and Gorn, so feel free to post the names you're using for those toons/BOs here.

Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
A

Alani
Antauri
Asrek
Asren
Asres
Asrim
Asris
Asryb
Asryiss
Asrym
Avra
Avrym

B

Brib
Brin
Brinthi
Brizov
B'tauri
B'thi
B'trek
Buahn

C

Ch'eson
Corian
Corib

D

Deval
Devik
Dyllas

E

Eris
Erizov

G

Ghell
Ghelos
Gheval
Groh
Grona
Gronell
Grones

H

Haiss
Halani
Hallas
Halones

I

Isrek
Isris
Isryiss
Ithransha
Ithres
Ithry
Ithryb
Ithryiss

J

Jhal
Jholona
Jholond
Jhorspa
Jhran
Jhranni
Jhras
Jhrona
Jhrov
Jhry
Jhryison
Jhylari
Jhylla

K

Kaiss
K'ani
K'aresiv
K'ari
Kasa
Kasha
Kashee
Kashell
Kasiv
Kerell
Kerov
Kerra
Kerrai
Kerrani
Kevik
Khidkun
Khidra
Khilani
Khilas
Khir
Kiphla
Kiphlas
Kiphrell
Kiphry
Kiphyhl

L

Lossov

M

Mirah
Miran
Mirrala

N

Nyvryb
Nyvrym
Nyvryos

O

Ojhol
Ojholona
Ojholos
Ojhon
Onlel
Onlesiv
Onna
Onnerk
Onnerran
Onnes
Onni
Ophras
Ophrell
Ophylla
Ophyt

P

Pespa
Pespian
P'hol
P'hon
P'horib
P'tala
P'tauri
P'treson

R

Rinthi
Rinthry
Rirras
R'san
R'sari
R'sha

S

Sashee
Sh'ani
Shelos
Sheval
Shir
Shranni
Shrell
Shren
Shreval
Shry
Shryb
Shryiss
Shrym
Sh'tala
Sunares
Sunari
Syn'pam
Syrah
Syransha

T

Takerk
Talani
Talanna
Talarah
Tallani
Tallas
Talys
Taphran
Taren
Tari
Terelin
Terk
Terra
Terrani
Thell
Thelos
Th'erk
Th'es'mon
Thohl
Tholi
Tholona
Thoph
Thoris
Thorspa
Thrai
Thran
Threk
Threlin
Thres
Throna
Thry
Thrym
Th'sha
Th'shee
Th'tala
Th'tren
Thylla
T'san
T'sha
T'shee

V

Vidahn
Vidrah
Vidrai
Vidran
V'kari
V'karai

Y

Yanelin
Yani

Z

Zephir
Zephla
Zephyt
Zh'ani
Zh'ativ
Zh'esiv
Zh'espa
Zh'idrai
Zh'sha
Zh'tauri
Zh'tres
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
I can do this for Caitians if I have a few more names. Anyone care to provide any that you're using?