Lt. Commander
# 621
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
You can get pretty darn close to Picard's jacket.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/w...rds-Jacket.png
Yeah, but that only highlights how odd it looks for the jacket to be form-fitting yet completely open. It looks like the jacket was painted on.
Lt. Commander
# 622
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minston View Post
Did you know that actually the TOS "gold" was greenish? The lighting and film stock resulted in it appearing goldish on screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniforms

Yes. Chartreuse. Really.
i think everyone knows that.
Lt. Commander
# 623
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
You can get pretty darn close to Picard's jacket.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/w...rds-Jacket.png
Yeah, but that only highlights how odd it looks for the jacket to be form-fitting yet completely open. It looks like the jacket was painted on.
I agree. The way these look is really bad. It's like someone took a pair of scissors and cut out the middle part of the jacket, pasted it to the undershirt and then tucked it into their pants. Come on! Champions Online has Jackets that look like Jackets. Why do ours have to be painted on over our shirts?

Plus, illustrious, did you realize that you had to use the DS9 Open Jacket to do that? Yeah, the texture on that doesn't quite match the Captain's Variant that is supposed to be worn underneath. So, if you use two slots to simulate Jacket On and Jacket Off versions, you would see a very noticeable difference in texture when switching between the two.

The TNG Film Open Jacket is a closer match, it's just got those darn division bands around the cuffs.

Lt. Commander
# 624
02-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Champions Online has Jackets that look like Jackets. Why do ours have to be painted on over our shirts?
You could remove "jackets" and replace it with pretty much anything, and the statement would be valid.

Some examples:
Champions Online has fully vertical flight. Why is ours limited to 60 degrees?
Champions Online has many hair styles. Why do ours only have a few?
Champions Online has a wide variety of outfit customization. Why is ours limited to only a few styles (referring to off-duty, not uniform)?
Lt. Commander
# 625
02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
You could remove "jackets" and replace it with pretty much anything, and the statement would be valid.

Some examples:
Champions Online has fully vertical flight. Why is ours limited to 60 degrees?
Champions Online has many hair styles. Why do ours only have a few?
Champions Online has a wide variety of outfit customization. Why is ours limited to only a few styles (referring to off-duty, not uniform)?
Well, there are some cases where I wouldn't want to do that.

Champions Online has characters that look campy and cartoony. Why can't... Wait. I'd prefer that STO characters not look like that.

The point is that CO artists took the time to model an entirely new piece when they made Jackets. They didn't just cut the front out of a Shirt, pop a copy of the Shirt underneath it, re-texture the whole thing and call it a Jacket.

Lt. Commander
# 626
02-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Well, there are some cases where I wouldn't want to do that.

Champions Online has characters that look campy and cartoony. Why can't... Wait. I'd prefer that STO characters not look like that.

The point is that CO artists took the time to model an entirely new piece when they made Jackets. They didn't just cut the front out of a Shirt, pop a copy of the Shirt underneath it, re-texture the whole thing and call it a Jacket.

Yeah I know... I wasn't disagreeing with you.. and I did say "almost"

Also, for picard's jacket, I think the DS9 jacket gets a lot closer (without the ribbing). It's still not suede with leather, but it looks a little closer at least.
Lt. Commander
# 627
02-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Mr. Blackavaar, I am so thankful for the help you have given to the STO community, I use your guide often and appreciate your hard work.

I use your amazing guide for almost all my characters and they look fantastic!

For an educational project, I am making a short STO machinima, for which I use your awesome guide.

I am also starting a fleet for which I used your uniform guide.

And you were once kind enough to give me a Del Taco shuttle code.

Would you allow me to name the Admiral who "formed the fleet" and the Admiral in my machinima be named Admiral Avaar in honor if your dedicated work to the community?

Lastly, are you possibly going to make a 25th Century Cadets guide? I'd really love to see what they'd look like
Lt. Commander
# 628
02-27-2011, 08:50 AM
He already did make a cadet's guide:

Cadets, Technicians and Thugs Guide

(you're looking for "AGT Cadets")
Lt. Commander
# 629
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
He already did make a cadet's guide:

Cadets, Technicians and Thugs Guide

(you're looking for "AGT Cadets")
I wad referring to cadet uniforms from the in game uniforms, not c-store packs. For fleets and people who don't want to buy stuff
Lt. Commander
# 630
02-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Ah... "non-canon" cadet uniforms. Good idea.