Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post

As far as the logging out to avoid a death... I still can't believe STO hasn't put in a simple Log out countdown into the game. Everyother MMO on the planet seems to have a logout counter to avoid people logging out when they are argoed ect.
Yes I'll vote for this. After you log your avatar remaining for 30 or 45 seconds in a defenseless state will stop the issue.

And we need new maps for C & H. Please
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
I think we need to have a feature where ships who full impulse straight for the nebula upon the beginning of the round to automatically self destruct.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyenaZERO View Post
So if I spend most of the match capping points around the fights rather than partaking of epic pew-pew, I'm AFK, as per your system?
Yes. If no one is shooting at you for 10 minutes, something is wrong.

Or, alternatively, the dead-man switch is also triggered by capping, which might be the better idea.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Aye. I wouldn't think that capping points would equate to being afk, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Honestly, It's a shame that Cap and hold wasn't different in that the following would happen instead.

You'd go to a point to capture. You'd have to defend it like you normally do. Then if you stay a few extra seconds once you've "captured it" everyone on your side gets a Buff, and that point stays un-changeable for say.. 10-15 Seconds. Then it resets. Points obviously count down as well based on how many points each side has captured during those 10-15 second "lockdown" peroids. The buffs could also be as follows:

Sensor: + 10 Sensors

Refinery: +10 Damage resist all

Astro-geo: +10 Aux Settings

Shipyard: +10 Weapon Power or +10 Starship Weapons

Center: +10 Shield power or +10 Shield Resistance vs all

Then you'd actually be working towards a Goal of not just winning the map, but keeping the team's buffs up from the different points you can capture. How ever the down side is that it might make a Capture and hold map last longer because of Set lock out capture point peroids.

I also agree there should have been a 15 Second logged in peroid for your character when ever you log out of the game or Close it while in combat. The locked down peroid could also be based on the number of people on the map for each side. In small games with say 3v3 it might be 30 seconds each lock down peroid, for Larger games 10v10 it might only be 10 seconds.

And the map is pretty large, why not spread things out abit. Doesn't have to be too massive of a change, but it would be nice if perhaps things were... say.. 100km further from each other? Again, just a thought.

As far as AFKers, why not set a timer on the base, the standard Timer for Tractor beam Repulsors. When that recharge ends, 2 Rank 3 Tractor Repulsors at low aux will fire off. Pushing people as far as a Fully speced Tractor repulsors would shove some one.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's boring. You either win through brute force or zerging.
Nah, not true, I've been in quite a number of fun, well balanced and hard fought CnH matches. "Zerging" (had to google that one) is more common since the carrier became so popular, but that seems to be in decline of late, I hope, and isn't really an issue in FvF (PF is less of a distraction/problem IMO). I think CnH also attracts a slightly different clientele to arena, it's not quite as fast paced, and a bit more strategic in some respects. I think we need to be prepared for a different environment to arena PvP.

Quote:
I think we need to:

1) Time Limits (sometimes matches never end. 20Min? 30Min?)
Rather than this change, I would rather see a new (additional) game type, typically referred to as "king of the hill", where the match is timed, and the winner is dictated by whomever held a flag or most flags for longest over the duration.

Quote:
2) Cap points out further (It's a huge map).
Agreed. But not much. Another option would be more points, esp in the larger matches.

Quote:
3) Cap points cannot be changed by a quick pass.
I think there are timers that run in the background that lead to this, but I think it is somewhat reasonable. If someone lands on a capped flag and turns it white for only 10s before they are killed, the opposing team shouldn't have to wait the full length to cap the point, it should be close to the time spent "uncapping" it IMO. But in principle, I would subscribe to a fixed minimum to to cap.

Quote:
4) The Cap Bugs get fixed. The ones where points don't change at all and you wait forever, or the one one that Klingons have the majority, but Klingon counter ticks.
Massive agreement. The same issue with counting down when you hold the majority exists with feds too though, I see it ALL the time, in fact in most CnH matches where there are power shifts it seems to happen. I really don't understand it, it is as if it takes some time before the game "notices" you have the majority of the points.

On a somewhat related not, applying to FvF and KvK, when you cap a point, there is fist the white (partially captured) symbol, before the coloured one appears. If you take an opponents capped point, it goes white (their white), then switches, quickly flashes with the X and then to another white one, but it's YOUR white one, which counts in your favor. Unless you are watching for the switch, there is currently no way to tell whos white flag it is, and in tight matches, it can make all the diff, there needs to be a way to differentiate the two states.

Quote:
Perhaps some Anti-Cloaking nebulae or Masking Nebulae in some areas to add some interesting battles.
Nice. I'd be in favor of other environmental traps for other things too (slows, drains, pulls, DoT etc)

Quote:
EDIT: Just 1 more thing: People can't log out in the middle of matches. (Just funny when they do that to prevent being killed).
Yep, just, yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
maybe we need a kind of "advanced deadman's switch"? If you haven't fired your weapons for 10 minutes and have not taken damage for 10 minutes, you are flagged for AFK, regardless of what other things you do. (Normally, just moving your camera cancels the AFK flag).
The moment people actually have to move into combat areas and engage enemies and be engaged by them, AFKing is not very "AFK"ing anymore. Might as well play for real, or not queue up at all.
Noo, just noooo

We need another mechanic. I have had a few matches, I admit I didn't have a stopwatch to hand, though, where I didn't come under attack or attack for some time.
There is that "points" thing, which I have never really understood. They should tie in capping and killing (if they aren't already) in to this points thing to reflect your participation and base AFK penalties *AND* emblem rewards on said points.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's boring. You either win through brute force or zerging.

I think we need to:

1) Time Limits (sometimes matches never end. 20Min? 30Min?)

2) Cap points out further (It's a huge map).

3) Cap points cannot be changed by a quick pass.

4) The Cap Bugs get fixed. The ones where points don't change at all and you wait forever, or the one one that Klingons have the majority, but Klingon counter ticks.

Perhaps some Anti-Cloaking nebulae or Masking Nebulae in some areas to add some interesting battles.

EDIT: Just 1 more thing: People can't log out in the middle of matches. (Just funny when they do that to prevent being killed).

I fail to see how those changes would impact the opening statement.

But, those are not bad ideas, in any case.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
A lot of good ideas here. I don't like the time limit - if it is taking a while that means a close contest - the best kind.

But really, very little of this would be necessary if there were more types of maps, with different goals. I'm getting pretty tired of C&H and Arena. If there were more variety, the shortcomings of existing maps would be unnoticeable.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
Honestly, It's a shame that Cap and hold wasn't different in that the following would happen instead.

You'd go to a point to capture. You'd have to defend it like you normally do. Then if you stay a few extra seconds once you've "captured it" everyone on your side gets a Buff, and that point stays un-changeable for say.. 10-15 Seconds. Then it resets. Points obviously count down as well based on how many points each side has captured during those 10-15 second "lockdown" peroids. The buffs could also be as follows:

Sensor: + 10 Sensors

Refinery: +10 Damage resist all

Astro-geo: +10 Aux Settings

Shipyard: +10 Weapon Power or +10 Starship Weapons

Center: +10 Shield power or +10 Shield Resistance vs all

Then you'd actually be working towards a Goal of not just winning the map, but keeping the team's buffs up from the different points you can capture. How ever the down side is that it might make a Capture and hold map last longer because of Set lock out capture point peroids.
Totally like this idea, and where you're going with it.

Other things to consider:

Capture Point spawns runabouts/shuttles/fighters to defend that capture point.
These ships could have special abilities based on the Capture Point.
Sensor Array - Tachyon Detection Grid
Astro Lab - Gravity Well, Tykin's Rift, Target Sub-systems

Yet another idea would be to have some sort of defenses which would be neutral and de-energized to start with, and players would need to interact with them (like in space PvE missions) and beam over an away team.
The away team would then take a set amount of time to get the defense structure up and running.
The more away teams that were beamed over, the faster the structure would activate.

I could probably put more thought in to this idea, however I'm already far to tired, but wanted to type something before I forgot completely by tomorrow morning.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
wouldn't mind a nebula map for cap an hold- no minimaps, no shields, most likely no cloaks under these conditions....should make things faster...if you can find capture points and enemies.

I was under the impression that you cannot capture a point while cloaked so to some degree cloaking is already partially neutralized in a cap and hold. not that I haven't seen capture points go from red to blue all by themselves .....with me there, out of cloak the whole while

i like the idea of buff for holding a cap point

as far as the afk people...blowing em up would be fun for both sides but the side they're on is down on numbers just remove em and replace em. When removing afk-ers just transwarp em into the middle of an instance just for them that looks just like the cap and hold map but never ever comes to an end