Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flato View Post
LOL yeah rift got some things going for it but man there combat is so boring take sto any day. Also there quest system is about as generic and genric gets.
I know you aren't talking about ground combat in STO heh

Yes, space combat is AWESOME in STO. But not the ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
I know Cryptic will ignore this, I'm counting on it.
Then the entire point of this thread was...?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I will lol if Rift goes under in 3 months. I'm sure it's a good MMO, but hardly looks groundbreaking, nor does it really look like it stands out from any other "swords and sorcery" type setting. A few cool features, but all in all looks rather generic in story, Design, and execution.

Not to smear them and Drink Cryptic's cool-aid, but there is a reason I'm playing STO. Partly because it Sat Trek, but more importantly STO is SciFi, and nothing like current space based MMOs. there are a lot of things that Cryptic needs to improve on, and perhaps can get inspired with certain features from other games, but i wouldn't want sto to be anything like RIFT any more than i would want it anything like eve EVE.

But yea, Season 5, I'd LOVE to see a currency overhaul and skill point system overhaul.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:
... and find out all the things you should have done to make a proper Star Trek title great. I'm not sure if you are watching how this is unfolding, but even in pre-launch they are breaking record numbers and adding servers every day.

Here's a few of the areas to study (this doesn't matter that it is fantasy)
1. Global events that are a "meta-game" everyone can participate in and is encouraged to do so
2. "Conquerable" areas where the invading force holds that area for the duration of the event
3. A MASSIVE skill system that takes classes and explodes the number of possibilities
4. Proper crafting system that doesn't impede the overall flow of gameplay
5. Massive quest system that makes it enjoyable to level and takes out the grind (yes there are collection quests, but they have minimized it)
6. INSTANT grouping. Public quests allow for you to float between groups as you chase down rifts seamlessly

and on and on and on

Do us all a favor, pick up a copy and play it. Experience what real massively multiplayer means when you have 30 rifts open and 20 footholds that engage players like never before.

They copied from previous MMOs and polished it over and over again.

Then give us an UPGRADED Star Trek MMO experience.
So you want STO to go from the Story Driven MMO game the developers felt would work best for Star Trek (ya know, to match the series) and create what seems to be a PVP oriented game? The game sounds a lot like ****, except for the questing.

Plus, what you're describing would only be half a game for us Trek Fans. Yeah it would make the PVPers happy being able to capture and hold planets (that is on the list of things to do BTW) but what about the rest of us? Are you saying that story driven quests suck?

As for instant grouping..
We have that. You may not have it on, but we have it. Ever go into a DSE? A Fleet Action? Public quests that have instant grouping.

Frankly, I'm happy with the quest system. I rarely find the leveling a grind, except the diplomacy stuff. THAT was a grind and a half. But going through the story arcs? Not even close.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegir View Post
No it's not, head start was last Thursday.

Also a great post in the Ten Forward
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...35#post3390535

And I agree Cryptic could learn alot of things from Rift!!

Their servers are the best MMO servers I have ever played on for a Head Start Launch. No lag no rubberbanding no server crashes = WIN. Yes it has long queues but that is easly fixed by chooses a server that does not say full. (They added atleast 9 servers since last Thursday)
I got to use my CE stuff for headstart.
NO C-STORE for a small company!
ECT ECT

Oh and I post I made about Rifts (in Rift) and Fleet Actions
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=203871
Lol guess ima need to borrow my friends accout to see what it's like
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I played Rift in beta and honestly got really bored by it really fast. It felt like WoW 2.0 which is great if you are into WoW style gameplay, which i'm not anymore. STO holds my interest a lot better than Rift or WoW, but whatever floats your boat :-).

Also, this type of thread should probably be in Ten Forward not in "Star Trek Online Discussion".
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
So you want STO to go from the Story Driven MMO game the developers felt would work best for Star Trek (ya know, to match the series) and create what seems to be a PVP oriented game? The game sounds a lot like ****, except for the questing.

Plus, what you're describing would only be half a game for us Trek Fans. Yeah it would make the PVPers happy being able to capture and hold planets (that is on the list of things to do BTW) but what about the rest of us? Are you saying that story driven quests suck?

As for instant grouping..
We have that. You may not have it on, but we have it. Ever go into a DSE? A Fleet Action? Public quests that have instant grouping.

Frankly, I'm happy with the quest system. I rarely find the leveling a grind, except the diplomacy stuff. THAT was a grind and a half. But going through the story arcs? Not even close.
Itís not a PVP oriented game. But what it does do is give you the choice to either leveling up by questing, closing rifts, AND pvp. The story line (defiants side) is very well written and VERY good. I have not played the Guardians side.

As for DSE's, you are awarded loot in STO by being top DPS. In Rift you are awarded loot by being the top "contributor" dps OR healing. Now that is something Cryptic can learn on!!

I understand fantasy MMO's are not people cup of tea, and would rather play the space opera (like me) but as the topic says.... Cryptic CAN learn alot from Trion/Rift.
Especially server stability!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
as I recall STO had to add alot of servers during head start too. And open beta.

RIFT has alot of hype going for it. but it'll pan down, most mmos are usually played by alot at the beginning so the masses can get a taste, that it is free doesnt hurt either. atm.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Quote:
How long they survive without such improved playsystems remains to be seen.
Everquest and UO still have live servers, yes?

As someone else noted, Rift sounds like WoW 2.0. Which, would be neat if I wasn't sick of Fantasy games after 6 years of playing WoW.

Of course the Devs are gonna ignore you. After spending all work day improving STO, I'd ignore some guy asking me to improve STO too.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
... and find out all the things you should have done to make a proper Star Trek title great. I'm not sure if you are watching how this is unfolding, but even in pre-launch they are breaking record numbers and adding servers every day.

Here's a few of the areas to study (this doesn't matter that it is fantasy)
1. Global events that are a "meta-game" everyone can participate in and is encouraged to do so
2. "Conquerable" areas where the invading force holds that area for the duration of the event
3. A MASSIVE skill system that takes classes and explodes the number of possibilities
4. Proper crafting system that doesn't impede the overall flow of gameplay
5. Massive quest system that makes it enjoyable to level and takes out the grind (yes there are collection quests, but they have minimized it)
6. INSTANT grouping. Public quests allow for you to float between groups as you chase down rifts seamlessly

and on and on and on

Do us all a favor, pick up a copy and play it. Experience what real massively multiplayer means when you have 30 rifts open and 20 footholds that engage players like never before.

They copied from previous MMOs and polished it over and over again.

Then give us an UPGRADED Star Trek MMO experience.
please everyone refrain from feeding the troll.
Closed Thread