And "Rift" is what now?

The next supposed "WoW Killer".
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
And "Rift" is what now?

The next **** (Popular and hyped at launch - then doing server merges in 6 months because evryone who wanted a break from WoW decides it's just another WoW close, and if they want a WoW type MMO, they'll just stick with WoW.)
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandorous View Post
Then the entire point of this thread was...?
Wondering the same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
... and find out all the things you should have done to make a proper Star Trek title great. I'm not sure if you are watching how this is unfolding, but even in pre-launch they are breaking record numbers and adding servers every day.

Here's a few of the areas to study (this doesn't matter that it is fantasy)
1. Global events that are a "meta-game" everyone can participate in and is encouraged to do so
2. "Conquerable" areas where the invading force holds that area for the duration of the event
3. A MASSIVE skill system that takes classes and explodes the number of possibilities
4. Proper crafting system that doesn't impede the overall flow of gameplay
5. Massive quest system that makes it enjoyable to level and takes out the grind (yes there are collection quests, but they have minimized it)
6. INSTANT grouping. Public quests allow for you to float between groups as you chase down rifts seamlessly

and on and on and on

Do us all a favor, pick up a copy and play it. Experience what real massively multiplayer means when you have 30 rifts open and 20 footholds that engage players like never before.

They copied from previous MMOs and polished it over and over again.

Then give us an UPGRADED Star Trek MMO experience.
Of all the things you choose, only 1-3 aren't in the game. 5 is debatable. The rest are in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Plus, what you're describing would only be half a game for us Trek Fans. Yeah it would make the PVPers happy being able to capture and hold planets (that is on the list of things to do BTW) but what about the rest of us? Are you saying that story driven quests suck?

I would love for Story missions to be good, with some excellent writing and twists. Theyre why I bought the game, but most of it is just the same thing over and over.... so yes.....the story driven quests do suck.

The space is too easy with brain dead opponents that have 1 skill they use immediately. One can even easily beat the STF Space parts by themselves (Aside from the KA which is the best space bit in the entire game). The ground is just terrible, but we all know that. I dont know what they can even do as Im sure theyre limited with the engine they chose to use.

What this game does have, however, is an excellent PVP system. Its unique, pretty well balanced, encourages team play and is a ton of fun. PVP has received 0 updates in terms of content (aside from new ships which PvE gets anyways) in a year and I, as well as many others, still play it everyday, which is surprising as I didnt think it would ever cater to me. Its also surprising how a basic 5v5 team deathmatch mode keeps me interested, even after a year.

Now obviously they cannot just ignore the PvE fanbase (then again, with 5 missions every few months they might as well be). However, I dont understand why, in a year, they havent taken the time to make a new mode, or a new but far better kerrat type open pvp map with multiple objectives and planets. The amount of work put into a single 40 minute Romulan episode mission could be used to make a map or game mode PVPers would play for months.

Overall, it only seems logical, when you have such a small dev team, to make content that is most efficient on the Replayability : Dev Time ratio. PVP content is perfect for this. PVPers have been playing the same three maps for a year. Add in some exclusive rewards, a mode or two, and bam, satisfaction for another 6 months. The Foundry is going to do this for PvE, so give PVP some love as well. Even better, find a way to integrate PVP and PVE so casuals are more likely to cross over.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Based upon some of the posts on others sites, there is are a lot of people that do not think too highly of Rift. In fact, I have seen a lot more "Rift is awful" posts then the opposite.

As to making STO "like Rift", no thanks. Cryptic has made great strides in the right direction with STO. I do not wish them to change direction when so much is already going right.

However, if you really like Rift...go play it. Afterall, no one is keeping you here.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Some things I'm glad STO doesn't have that RIFTS has:
1) Fighting against other players for spawns.
2) Random footholds spawning on a quest area that are 10 levels above you.
3) Players on their turtle mounts covering quest NPCs while AFK, so you can't turn in quests.
4) Separate servers - boo. pre-launch was so crowded, I couldn't join my friend's server.
5) Epic server queues (2 hour queues in STO weren't bad - try 30 hours on Briarcliff, pre-launch)
6) Fighting against other groups for boss spawns (hour waits for boss respawns aren't cool; there's a reason many games are ditching them)
Things I wish STO had:
1) More classes
2) Better ground combat
3) Artifact set collections
4) Public raid groups (even STO fleet actions are limited to 5 person teams)
5) Fewer currencies
6) Leveling progression for two factions
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-26-2011, 10:59 PM
STO will kill WOW - WOW will outlast STO - TOR will kill STO - TOR couldn't even stand up to STO or WOW if it tried blah blah blah... how many of these doooooooooom x24 threads have we heard that have (so far) amounted to naught? Hell, there were even some that said FF VII was going to trump STO and we saw where that went

The thing is people, as long as there is a market any game - even the atrocity that is SWG - will survive. And STO (whether canon-happy Trekkies or PVP lovers care to admit it or not) STO has a HUGE fan base just as TOR (even though it's not released) and WOW do... very few Trekkies are going to jump on the TOR bandwagon and leave their space combat and bridge crew behind for a rail shooter - neither are they going to drop their Lightsabers for some dippy beam-gun... they're going to play both if they're fans of both and that they will do for a VERY long time to come

As for Rift... yeah, if I wanted WOW or LOTRO (which this game seems to copy both of) I'd play LOTRO or WOW... one of which I play (LOTRO) and will continue to play even after I get TOR
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Many people don't realize how small the MMO industry is. I was talking to one of my friends at Trion yesterday in fact. I gave a presentation to another MMO studio about our development process the week prior. Yes we all learn from EACH OTHER constantly. Game development isn't a one way street where one person knows everything. That is why there are trade shows such as GDC (which is next week btw) where we learn from each other. To assume that we need to drop everything and go "learn right now" is ludicrous. You're telling us to go do something we already do more than you realize.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for RIFT. Those guys making the game (some of which are still close friends with people on our team) have worked their arse off to get that game ready for ship, just as we were working 7 days a week 60+ hour weeks for most of last year. I wish Trion and RIFT all the best and yes I will play it just like everyone else to see what it is about.

But please - these are the STO forums, so lets keep things on STO.

Closing this thread. If you want to discuss Rift - go do it on their forums. They deserve your support if you are enjoying the game.
Closed Thread