Lt. Commander
# 21
02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
I could not agree more! Also, can I add that for bar fights maybe just a kind of open-handed brawl restriction should be used. No need to chop someone's head off with a sword when you can just punch them once.
That's actually a fair point. without discounting that it would be SOME work, It's probably not that much harder to simply disable all weapons -- although harder to justify/explain, perhaps.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Just thinking back to the movies, I think Soran and Kruge may be the only Trek movie villains (aside from minions) to use ranged weapons and, in both cases, they were defeated without the use of ranged weapons. Almost every fight involved an unarmed officer using their environment, hand weapons, and brawling.

Can anyone think of a major fight in Trek that was EVER decided with a phaser?

I can think of fights that were decided by pointing a phaser to get someone to stand down, by shooting an environmental object, etc. I can definitely think of fights that were solved by non-lethal bladed combat.

I can even think of cases where (extremely rarely) someone pulled a phaser and vaporized/stunned someone but those aren't what I would think of as an engaging, protracted fight.