Lt. Commander
You know that old gag about genius ideas coming to you in the shower? I was in the shower about fifteen minutes ago and an idea showed up.

Everybody has all these ideas on how the game should be updated so that they can fly their favorite lower tier ship at higher level, I'm right among them, and suddenly it came to me to use the console slots for upgrades. Think of it: instead of monotanium armor or hazard emitters you add a engineering or science BO power expansion slot or a "control package" for an additional weapon.

It's a trade off in that you loose that slot from a movement or weapon damage enhancement, etc., but you gain the ability to use a higher tiered BO ability or another weapon. Higher tiered ships would also benefit in that you could more BO powers, etc. You could have your Klink ship set to over kill with every slot bristling with weapons but at the same time you would loose the bonuses of adding consoles that would have enhanced your weapon power or damage resistance or your shield's regen power. It would all balance out at the higher levels and still give benefit to higher level players captaining lower level ships.

It would increase ship customization choice and playability without having to modify the existing programming frame work. The devs could release craftable console mods that would do this and also allow for special quest rewards as well.

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't get how it should work. If you sacrifice a console slot for higher BO power you don't get a better ship. Lower-tier ships already have fewer console slots, so in the end you would probably still have fewer BO powers than a T5 and 0 console slots.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
You're actually correct in that it wouldn't put a low tier ship on par with a high tier one but it would expand them somewhat.

An example:

http://www.stowiki.org/Cruiser_%28Federation%29

You have 4 console slots in the Federation cruiser: 1 tac, 2 eng, 1 sci
You have 4 BO stations: 1 of each Ensign and one Lt Eng

You use BO power booster consoles in each slot. That allows for you to now use the following powers: 1 of each at Lt and one Lt Cmdr Eng.

Alternatively you have 4 weapon mounts in a Fed Cruiser: 2 front and 2 rear.

Using console slots to increase the number of weapons (if the devs make them universal): then you can have 4 more weapons. Etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
dStahl already mentioned the same basic idea
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Yes, and I would argue that it wouldn't actually make them any stronger but just different. For example I doubt that one additional weapon slot would be as good as a damage or weapon power booster console. What we need is a system that actually ADDS to lower-tier ships, instead of just shifting slots around.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Pretty sure the muti vector assult for the promethis class will be a console has already been said.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
dStahl already mentioned the same basic idea
He didn't, he said we would get a budget to improve lower-tier ships, not just shifting around slots.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
He didn't, he said we would get a budget to improve lower-tier ships, not just shifting around slots.
No, you are wrong, he said in a recent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
surprisingly - geko and I were talking about this very thing today. I'd like to see more variety at all tiers and if I can get the ship art time out of CapnLogan - i'd like to see both the KDF and FEDs have more choices as they level up.

One idea we were talking about (brainstorming) was that if we did add some new ships at lower tiers, that we could put their unique powers on a console so that even after you leveled out of the ship, you could at least take the console with you and possibly use the ability on another similar ship. Sounded like a cool idea.
The same BASIC idea of using Consoles to "upgrade" ships.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
No, you are wrong, he said in a recent post:

The same BASIC idea of using Consoles to "upgrade" ships.
Ah, you're talking about that. However, that's new powers, like Prometheus MVAM, or maybe the grappling hook of the NX. Not an exchange system for BO stations and weapon slots.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Ah, you're talking about that. However, that's new powers, like Prometheus MVAM, or maybe the grappling hook of the NX. Not an exchange system for BO stations and weapon slots.
Oh, I get what your saying. It's similar though.

And once again, thanks for the help with the fleet.

By the way, I love the way you are wearing the real life version of my in game uniform.