Lt. Commander
# 1 Coliseum good but not great
02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
That's my take on it - a lot of stuff that [i]could/I] have been epic but just didn't come together very well.

There were some unequivocally good parts. The first was getting the mission from Obisek instead of T'nae. Not only do my ears thank you, but it's nice to start getting the feature eps from more than one contact in the story progression. Also, there was the very end. Tsk, tsk, Hakeev. You'd think the Tal Shiar would know better than to monologue. Finally, the weapons - now we just need anywhere else to get swords from.

The rest of the mission though... eh.

The biggest overall problem I encountered was that it wasn't very well set up to handle a group doing it. Several group members didn't even get proper green-text prompts, especially in the arena scene, so that fight basically consisted of some of us stumbling around clicking anything glowing and some of us trying in vain to fight the big critter with no clue of what was going on. It made what should have been an epically staged fight - and probably is when done solo - into a hectic, confusing morass.

The desert portion was the same way; the positional objectives triggered if only one PC was there, and we ended up bypassing the Engineering optional and unable to return because the cave cutscene was triggered. The beginning with the whole 'take cover under the rocks' bit was also extremely annoying because of the huge number of similar rocks everywhere and how tiny and night-camouflaged the objective markers were on the map.

In the puzzle portion, I found myself in complete disbelief that I was doing elementary school homework as part of an MMO. Whatever happened to introducing minigames instead of trivial 'press F' interactions? Or even something that's actually a puzzle?

I hope the final episode returns to the level of quality set by Mine Enemy and Frozen.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
That's my take on it - a lot of stuff that [i]could/I] have been epic but just didn't come together very well.

There were some unequivocally good parts. The first was getting the mission from Obisek instead of T'nae. Not only do my ears thank you, but it's nice to start getting the feature eps from more than one contact in the story progression. Also, there was the very end. Tsk, tsk, Hakeev. You'd think the Tal Shiar would know better than to monologue. Finally, the weapons - now we just need anywhere else to get swords from.

The rest of the mission though... eh.

The biggest overall problem I encountered was that it wasn't very well set up to handle a group doing it. Several group members didn't even get proper green-text prompts, especially in the arena scene, so that fight basically consisted of some of us stumbling around clicking anything glowing and some of us trying in vain to fight the big critter with no clue of what was going on. It made what should have been an epically staged fight - and probably is when done solo - into a hectic, confusing morass.

The desert portion was the same way; the positional objectives triggered if only one PC was there, and we ended up bypassing the Engineering optional and unable to return because the cave cutscene was triggered. The beginning with the whole 'take cover under the rocks' bit was also extremely annoying because of the huge number of similar rocks everywhere and how tiny and night-camouflaged the objective markers were on the map.

In the puzzle portion, I found myself in complete disbelief that I was doing elementary school homework as part of an MMO. Whatever happened to introducing minigames instead of trivial 'press F' interactions? Or even something that's actually a puzzle?

I hope the final episode returns to the level of quality set by Mine Enemy and Frozen.
While I respect your opinion I disagree on every point related tot the story. I can't say what it was like as a group but I personally found the story engaging and well done. I actually liked the desert part. It was different

As to the puzzles. Some people are not great at puzzles so making them interesting but simple is always a good goal. This fits that profile. I see where you are coming from I just happen to disagree with you.