Lt. Commander
# 1071 Ask Cryptic
02-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Will we ever get to re-enact Star Trek: First Contact, in that the Borg attempt to assimilate the ship we've spent so long trying to earn and customize? I know the tutorial was similar in concept, but it would be more exciting if we had a personal stake in it, if it was OUR ship. Also, will we ever see the Nexus?
Lt. Commander
# 1072
02-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyofham
I replay the previously mentioned missions, and have done for just the same reason that Spots mentioned. Maybe because we did not always have items that leveled with us, I don't find myself as attached as you seem to be to some item you perhaps carried around with you from Commander to VA.
People are not going to replay the same hours long mission chain four or five times over at every rank while leveling up, just to get a slightly boosted version of the same weapon. By the time you finished getting the gear this way, you would probably have dinged the next rank and have to start all over again. Why will they do that when they can just walk into ESD and buy commons off the shelf that work fine, or do explore missions they're doing anyway and make green/blue crafted ones while getting their consoles as well? There is nothing stat wise that makes these weapons worth the trouble of getting them now, compared to the alternatives. So people may get them once, but nobody is going to go back over and over and over at every new rank. They just don't have anything to offer that makes them worth that trouble.

At VA1, maybe, if some of these guns have a special attack or something that people really want, then they will bother to get the Mk XI version. But that also means a lot of people who would do that are just going to skip these chains on the way up, or at least that they won't replay them until they hit VA. Still, there just isn't anything special about the stats at Mk XI, so more likely people will just keep grinding emblems and marks for the purple stuff and ignore them entirely. To the extent that this change did anything, it just turned the existing mission chains from something fun, with a special, long lasting reward, into just another dumb grind. It's a huge step backwards, and not consistent with recent trends in new ship gear releases (shuttles, for example).

Looking at the addition of the leveling Lirpa / Bat'Leth to the C-Store, along with the continuation of the TOS Connie with the "real" Retrofit Phasers that level with you, it seems like the real motive for this change is that Cryptic intends for all leveling gear to be C-Store only. So they had to take away the in-game option for getting leveling ground weapons, if they want to have a market for the ones which will begin to appear in the C-Store. You can either grind endlessly in-game for tiered stuff that you will probably use for less time than it took you to get it; or you can pay up real dollars to get something that you can keep for a while and avoid the grind. That's a sad trend to see, if it's going to drive all their design choices.
Lt. Commander
# 1073
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Question: Alot of Federation ships have the Phaser Strips on the hulls, is there any chance that you'll actually use them for weapons fire? ie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8dN7pNJ1o (charge along the phaser strip then firing, moving along the strip as it fires on the moving/stationary target)
Lt. Commander
# 1074
02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
You can either grind endlessly in-game for tiered stuff that you will probably use for less time than it took you to get it; or you can pay up real dollars to get something that you can keep for a while and avoid the grind. That's a sad trend to see, if it's going to drive all their design choices.
sounds about right, any way how many mmos actualy have leveling items. the only problem is that leveling in STO is way too fast

Q; will the early levels ever be padded out? skill point rewards reduced or skill bands between ranks increced
Lt. Commander
# 1075
02-28-2011, 08:30 AM
For many Star Trek is a lot about immersion. Will we ever be granted more control over the interface to allow for this? I'm sure many people like myself would prefer a more minimalist layout.

Also, as much as I love the music for STO, hearing the same tune while exploring over and over again can get a little annoying. I know the music player can ease this to some extent but it would be great to have a little program in STO that lets you define mp3's to play automatically during combat, exploration or while onboard your ship. Many of us will be able to dust off those old Star Trek soundtracks again. Any chance of this?

Last but not the least, will you ever update the galaxy map so we can simply plot a course by clicking on the sector we want to go to? Instead of having to go to the system list every time we enter a new sector block. Maybe there can be a checkbox that disables\enables the confirmation request everytime you have to warp to a new sector block.
Lt. Commander
# 1076
02-28-2011, 08:33 AM
will we see the view screens being used?
Lt. Commander
# 1077
02-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow712 View Post
First why don't you rename the levels from captain up & include, starting at Captain,, Admiral, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, getting rid of that stupid RA upper & lower half. Thus increasing the level cap by 11.
I don't mind the RA,LH and RA,UH as ranks, but I do have a problem with how those are interpreted as dialog by NPC's.

"Hi, Rear Admiral, Upper Half G'eek!"

Those ranks may well exist in real Navies, but I guarantee that nobody would use that form in verbally addressing a person of those ranks.

The correct verbal address would be "Admiral So-and-so".

http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHE...tFrmsAddr.html

Could we see a fix for this?
Lt. Commander
# 1078 Leaderboards
02-28-2011, 09:08 AM
when will we see Leaderboards tracking the number of kills/deaths made by the various fleets. Also we need to have a place for fleets to meet to make hosting private matches easier.
Lt. Commander
# 1079
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Will we ever be able to buy schematics since we can only craft so many and just to make the crafting supply vendors useful again?
Lt. Commander
# 1080
02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
Will we ever be able to buy schematics since we can only craft so many and just to make the crafting supply vendors useful again?
I'll second that. I can only burn through so many tier 1 anomalies before they're gone.

Or, can you re-design the crafting supply vendors so they can operate as an exchange system for non-rare particle anomalies? The rare particles should still be drops, I think, but it would be nice to be able to trade up or down with the rest.
Closed Thread