Lt. Commander
# 21
02-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus852 View Post
*only one niggle i had but once found i had no trouble. In the final section in the desert the mission marker aren't that easy to spot and can be very easily missed. Maybe some way to make them easier to spot on map i mean.
I would also change the dialouge to have Slamek say "hide in those rocks to the South" or something as well. He currently just says "rocks over there". Alternatively, make any of the rock formations work in terms of hiding as there are a few rock formations in the area to choose from.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
I think the mission could have used a little more 'they're-hunting-us' feeling in it. Maybe a ground patrol of 4-5 Romulans that you could either fight, hide from, or use your energy weapon to drop a rockslide on (or throw stones at a worm burrow to rile it up so it attacks them as they pass, allowing you and Slamek to sneak by). Something where interaction was necessary. I'm all for hiding but when you can stand out in the open and light yourself on fire and the patrols won't even see you is when it's kind of 'meh'. That kind of cardboard cutout backdrop detracts from the awesomeness of the mission.

And did someone say that the engineer side mission was to hunt? So, tacticals gather firewood and engineers hunt. Um, what? What was the science side mission, harvesting pelts from defeated Sehlats and making warmer clothes?

Z
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-28-2011, 09:44 AM
The thing I am loving most about this (and the rest of the series) is that it is not like the Breen episodes.
With the Breen, there was a lot of "Kill enemy squad (0/5)" and it felt like a massive grind running about killing groups just to fill out the mission.
So far, there has been basically none of this here.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexGuy331 View Post
I dunno, I got stuck when I didn't know which Rock Formation the guy was talking about.

I just kept walking and found a cave with flowers and what I assumed to be an entrance to the other side, but ended up being a dead end.
Just wanted to chime in that the mission broke for me here as well.

In my case I think the problem was caused by initial message and flow of the landscape. The Reman told me to go east, so I started heading straight east. My eyes were not drawn to the giant rock archway in the southeast - it was off to the side and partly partly recessed behind the folds in the landscape. As a result, I was badly out of position when told to "hide near the dark rocks." I hid under some rocks near me, watched the Scorpion fly off, and kept going without knowing I'd gone off the rails.

I should also mention I saw a similar, but less serious problem at the beginning of last week's episode. I went to gather a resource node past the satellite, then looped back and tag it. My science officer told me to hide in the nebula "aft," which was actually off my port bow at the time.

I guess the takeaway here is, not all players go straight from A to B. We look around, take screenshots, climb up the walls, and poke at interesting objects.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. I was impressed by what I did see of this episode (I had to leave in the middle for lack of time). Very imaginative use of storytelling tech, and a high art quality. The bit on the satellite and waking up in the arena was strongly reminiscent of a pre-credit teaser scene, and the story just kept twisting from there. Running across the landscape may not have worked in my case, but I was flashing back to Kirk and McCoy's escape from Rura Penthe.

A special shout-out to whoever did the creepy bell sound loop for the captor satellite's power system. I liked that a lot.

I also like the feel of the journal text. It had a Lovecrafty "The Call of Iconia" feel.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
I think the mission could have used a little more 'they're-hunting-us' feeling in it. Maybe a ground patrol of 4-5 Romulans that you could either fight, hide from, or use your energy weapon to drop a rockslide on (or throw stones at a worm burrow to rile it up so it attacks them as they pass, allowing you and Slamek to sneak by). Something where interaction was necessary. I'm all for hiding but when you can stand out in the open and light yourself on fire and the patrols won't even see you is when it's kind of 'meh'. That kind of cardboard cutout backdrop detracts from the awesomeness of the mission.

And did someone say that the engineer side mission was to hunt? So, tacticals gather firewood and engineers hunt. Um, what? What was the science side mission, harvesting pelts from defeated Sehlats and making warmer clothes?

Z
It might have been interesting to have to evade more then just one shuttle - and maybe also a chance to fail it. (Forcing you to fight transports or creating some kind of diversion - say, the Shuttle lands, and you can do some sciency trickery to get one of those worms to attack the crew...

But there is only so much that you can fit into one episode, especially if you're on a timetable. They certainly used their alloted time well for this episode.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwaltz View Post
Just wanted to chime in that the mission broke for me here as well.

In my case I think the problem was caused by initial message and flow of the landscape. The Reman told me to go east, so I started heading straight east. My eyes were not drawn to the giant rock archway in the southeast - it was off to the side and partly partly recessed behind the folds in the landscape. As a result, I was badly out of position when told to "hide near the dark rocks." I hid under some rocks near me, watched the Scorpion fly off, and kept going without knowing I'd gone off the rails.

I should also mention I saw a similar, but less serious problem at the beginning of last week's episode. I went to gather a resource node past the satellite, then looped back and tag it. My science officer told me to hide in the nebula "aft," which was actually off my port bow at the time.

I guess the takeaway here is, not all players go straight from A to B. We look around, take screenshots, climb up the walls, and poke at interesting objects.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. I was impressed by what I did see of this episode (I had to leave in the middle for lack of time). Very imaginative use of storytelling tech, and a high art quality. The bit on the satellite and waking up in the arena was strongly reminiscent of a pre-credit teaser scene, and the story just kept twisting from there. Running across the landscape may not have worked in my case, but I was flashing back to Kirk and McCoy's escape from Rura Penthe.

A special shout-out to whoever did the creepy bell sound loop for the captor satellite's power system. I liked that a lot.

I also like the feel of the journal text. It had a Lovecrafty "The Call of Iconia" feel.
I triple the motion! I knew I hadn't found the rocks because the objective was never checked. I used my tricorder and the full map but obviously didn't zoom enough. Another possibility is to have another contrasting color for the objective circles. White usually works, but with a light background such as sand or snow, maybe the circle could be red. Another thing I noticed is that the objective box was slow when switching to another main bullet point e.g. , at the end when I brought all the parts back to the crashed ship to jerry-rig the transmitter and I clicked on the object on the floor, the checked objectives disappeared but nothing replaced them (the next text was "Go outside and wait to be rescued" or something similar. It wasn't until I moved my toon that the last text string was displayed. I experienced this when gathering the medicinal plants as well.

All-in-all still not enough to detract from also agreeing that this is the best Ep yet!
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I agree with what everyone else seems to be saying. Cryptic outdid themselves by an expotental amount this time.
The opening puzzles were cool (even if it did mean I had to go AFK for fifteen miniutes while I found my calculator), the Sword is incredible, and the overall plot was as Trek as plots can be.

The only complaint I have is the feel of the inital encounter with the Fighters. As it is, you can walk over to the wrong set of rocks, stand out in the open and wave, and altogeter fail to even attempt to take cover- without any adverse affect.
I think it would have worked better to made any of the rock outcropings work as cover, and put the objective on a timer- give more of a sprint-desprately-for-cover feel. (Failing, it would beam down a group of Romulans to investigate)
Lt. Commander
# 28 Metal Gear!
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
It might have been interesting to have to evade more then just one shuttle - and maybe also a chance to fail it. (Forcing you to fight transports or creating some kind of diversion - say, the Shuttle lands, and you can do some sciency trickery to get one of those worms to attack the crew...

But there is only so much that you can fit into one episode, especially if you're on a timetable. They certainly used their alloted time well for this episode.
A bit more of a Metal Gear feel would really have helped build some excitement (!). Overall I've been really pleased with this episode so far. I've enjoyed the others and I'm happy to see that things have been getting better, cleaner, and more interesting along the way.
Lt. Commander
# 29 Love the last cut scene
02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I posted on another thread how I like this episode, I've since run a couple of alts through it. STILL loving the last cut scene. Wouldn't mind being able to skip some of the others. Many of the complaints for this mission are not specific to this mission or even this series.
Lt. Commander
# 30 Obisek
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Where do you find Obisek to start Coliseum?