Lt. Commander
Hey Devs,

I wanted to start out by saying I think this latest feature series is really taking it to the next level! I really enjoyed the content, and for the first time ever, you've gotten me thinking about a lifetime subscription.

But what I really wanted to do now is appeal to you about music/soundtrack for STO. I've seen other dev comments on the matter (DStahl even), and I can't stress enough how much music/soundtrack can enhance the drama of storytelling. It was funny listening to the TOS "Amok Time" soundtrack play as I battled in the arena, but its just a reminder to me how much more STO needs this to happen.

My video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE305vVnmJE

I decided to illustrate my point by showing an existing episode (Frozen) and having the in-game soundtrack play. For what's happening, dialogue-wise and all, its "ok".

In the second half of the video, I demonstrate how a different backtrack can change and (in my opinion anyways) enhance the story telling element of this episode. (The second half of the clip uses a track from the Enterprise episode "Regeneration" if you're wondering). If anything, it demanded more of my attention, and made me want to listen to what Obisek had to say because I felt as though I was part of a cinematic moment. (Not unlike what was accomplished with Mass Effect 1 and 2, the latter being the prototype of my ambition for STO)

One of my favorite things about TOS was the music, even if it was a little goofy at times. I'm a music major, so perhaps I'm a little biased. But that tradition carried over into TNG and beyond; some of my favorite scores are battle scene scores as heard on DS9 and TNG. Inner Light wouldn't be the same without Picard's flute playing, and Best of Both Worlds p1 might not have ended as such a cliffhanger without the orchestral hits.

If your long term goals really are to make STO feel more Star Trek, then I think you've gotta take a look at updating the score on everything, and incorporating technology in the game necessary to trigger appropriately scored pieces to enhance the STO experience.

Thanks for reading!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2011, 02:07 AM
I want "Row, row, row your boat" by Kirk, Bones and spock from ST:V
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2011, 04:15 AM
I very much second this thread. Music is a more powerful emotional motivator than anything else in regards of visual stimulus. It adds to what is being seen. I would like to use DEEP SPACE 9's episode 'The Visitor' as a reference of this. The episode without the music it was given would be half an episode. More over, it may also allow some of the more emotional story's to transpose over to the STO world and really put in some character development stories.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2011, 04:26 AM
While I very much like STO's music,. I agree more "Star Trek" music would be great! I support this one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2011, 05:04 AM
I think they mentioned this in the latest "Ask Cryptic" you might want to check it out.

However, I too support this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree, not a big fan of the music we have now, be nice if we could get a huge orchestra to make a new theme for STO and have it play during an intro cinematic with real quality, and pepper that theme elsewhere in the game, but only so long as it is very trek in it's execution.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2011, 12:04 PM
That video is a perfect example. I completely agree that work should be done to better match the music in STO with ingame events.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
I agree, not a big fan of the music we have now, be nice if we could get a huge orchestra to make a new theme for STO and have it play during an intro cinematic with real quality, and pepper that theme elsewhere in the game, but only so long as it is very trek in it's execution.
Agreed! You know, when I first started playing this game at open beta and post launch, I remember feeling like there wasn't enough of the ST theme peppered throughout the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
I think they mentioned this in the latest "Ask Cryptic" you might want to check it out.

However, I too support this.
I'll take a look. Lets cross our fingers and hope DStahl addresses it when he picks questions to answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewby111222333 View Post
I very much second this thread. Music is a more powerful emotional motivator than anything else in regards of visual stimulus. It adds to what is being seen. I would like to use DEEP SPACE 9's episode 'The Visitor' as a reference of this. The episode without the music it was given would be half an episode. More over, it may also allow some of the more emotional story's to transpose over to the STO world and really put in some character development stories.
That's funny you mention DS9's the Visitor. You must own the Anniversary ST CD? That album has sort of become the quintessential go-to album for Star Trek musical scoring. Jerry Goldsmith, among others, really helped establish the thematic motives we hear throughout Star Trek, right from the fanfare in Star Trek TMP.

The tracks from DS9 on that album (The Visitor) really made me appreciate the time and effort that the musical scorer put into making what otherwise would have been a sentimental mood episode into a real strong demonstration of DS9's powerful story telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
That video is a perfect example. I completely agree that work should be done to better match the music in STO with ingame events.
Thanks! And believe it or not, the entire thing was serendipitous! I usually play tracks from Star Trek as I play STO, and I just couldn't help but notice how much more exciting the episode was for me with some appropriately scored music to set the undertone of anticipation.

On a last note, and appropriately so, the Oscars award film composers and sound engineers specifically. I thought that the Academy's orchestra performing everything from the Star Wars fanfare to the theme from E.T. (ironically, both John Williams! hahah) really made a statement as to the power of film scoring. Hell, even SW has a touring orchestra that performs the Music of Star Wars! (*hint hint*, CBS/paramout, get a tour of Star Trek going!)