Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post

The one network that would probably take the gamble on a new Trek series comes with a price CBS will never pay - the same creative control disputes that killed Farscape and almost killed Stargate. And that was a long time ago - when a Scifi channel original actually had a chance to be pretty decent and have something resembling production quality, and not Sharktopus vs. Mechamonkey.
Yeah I have given up on scifi, / syfy / slyfy what ever they call themselves these days, they are just milking the reality cow. I would love to see them take a chance with something new... many people forget the best episodes of Stargate were when it was on showtime....

wait a second.... a gritty startrek on showtime.... showtime is owned by CBS.... that would be epic.... another quarter in the jar...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
only if its a new ship/ new crew, new area of space.

and i want a small combat patrol vessel or something. no stupid larger than earth starships, and family settings.

Andorian Female Captain who is Hot
Human First Officer
Reman Security Officer
Ferengi Pilot
Romulan Engineer

that be a nice divese setup of cast.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. I think they should do a series based on the future, where the federation is fighting the Termporal war that was alluded to in Voyager and Enterprise. That way we could visit all the trek eras and ones we haven't seen before, as well as fill in gaps in the stories. There could be cameos from the different actors and we get something new and interesting every week.

At stake would be the Trek universe as we understand it, with alternative time lines and what if scenarios up the wazoo.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.MarkusKarter View Post
Yeah I have given up on scifi, / syfy / slyfy what ever they call themselves these days, they are just milking the reality cow. I would love to see them take a chance with something new... many people forget the best episodes of Stargate were when it was on showtime....

wait a second.... a gritty startrek on showtime.... showtime is owned by CBS.... that would be epic.... another quarter in the jar...
I can tell you what I absolutely do not want to see:
Any more "Gritty scifi reboots". I could barely tolerate the new Battlestar Galactica. It wasn't fun to watch, it was a painful experience. All the characters were jerks, so why care about what happens to any of them? Worse still, its success (and bizarrely enough, Firefly's failure) have forced producers into thinking this is the only way to make a sci fi show. Look how well that turned out for Stargate Universe. I pretty much peg the blame for the current lack of real scifi on new BSG.

So no, I would rather never see another Star Trek ever again than see a "gritty" Star Trek series.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypuppet
I was thinking about this the other day. I think they should do a series based on the future, where the federation is fighting the Termporal war t......

/snore
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I'd very much so like a new tv series set during STO's time period. I even started work on a pilot for one myself, though I doubt I could ever successfully pitch it to a tv studio.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi folks,

While we certainly appreciate the sentiment, we need to remind you that this forum is for the discussion of STO. Not the general status of Sci-fi in the media. (Hint: Sci-fi is far and away from being dead. Just because there's no epic space saga on right now does not mean that you can't find good sci-fi if you look.)

Please stay on topic.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resz
Clancy Brown as Obisek. There is no other alternative.
No. Hugo Weaving.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I'd very much so like a new tv series set during STO's time period. I even started work on a pilot for one myself, though I doubt I could ever successfully pitch it to a tv studio.
Honestly I think any new Trek series couldn't survive by adopting the same method as the previous series. The overarching and progressing story really worked out well for Enterprise and DS9.
So we'd need that.

But on top of that we'd need to tread new ground. Exploring human enhancement through bionics and genetic engineering in a more sensible and even handed manner would be a good way to go. The relationship between the post scarcity federation worlds and independent races who don't benefit from easy access to the federations technology, would also be interesting ground to tread.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.MarkusKarter View Post
Hey everyone! Like most of you I have been really enjoying STO and think Cryptic has done a fantastic job!
Pausing for applause )

Now - I would love a Television Series set in the STO universe. I know Paramount is busy with Star Trek 2, and they likely view a television series not set in the alternate universe as a conflict. However, I was wondering if there is a way whether it be a petition, letters, etc, we could contact Paramount and express this interest.

Dev's - Stahl - this could really benefit the game. Imagine a television series with an active game, that is already established, and is growing a methos... Let's start casting Obsesek!
However - we could use your help. If we made the efforts mentioned above, would you present this to your paramount contacts?

The timing right now is perfect. There is currently no new scifi- based show airing in the US that is not cable based. Even long running cable based shows like Stargate have been canceled. They would have a wide open field, and since it has been such a long time, there is a pent up demand.

Thanks all for reading!
As much I'd love to see a new Star Trek show, I think STO and the potencial show shouldn't colide. Cryptic has a lot of storys, as well the comunity with the Foundry, wich would change a lot of the major events in Star Trek around 2410.
Going futher in the future to set a new series is complicated...because, where to go? Remember the temporal episodes, most of them were acutally to complicated to comprehend or the theories totally wrong. This is the next step after the STO timline. Going into the past, ...well, where else? There was the NX, the A to J Enterprises, almost any crew is known... so where would you put the story to take place? The only posibility I see, with no redux, is the Enterpise B. But she had a relative short life.