Lt. Commander
# 11
03-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Well, there was the One Year Anniversary event to start, the debut of the new Romulan Featured Episodes (and the new Melee Weapons, fighters, new puzzle mechanics, etc..), the Delta Flyer and Type 8 Shuttles, the D'Kyr Science Vessel and the Tal'Kyr Support Craft, the Open Jacket Unis..
None of the puzzle mechanics were new: the math puzzle was just a dialogue tree.

Hopefully, March can keep pace content-wise: obviously it won't be features but tossing PvP something would be nice, in addition to the Foundry launch.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
None of the puzzle mechanics were new: the math puzzle was just a dialogue tree.
not true, in the vault we had the cycling dialogue boxes for the code that changed every second or two, and again in mine enemy for one of the engineering options, to solve the drill puzzle.

we also had the click through the numbers by cycling right or left in coliseum.

these features may or may not have been easy to make but its something we have never had before.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Well, there was the One Year Anniversary event to start, the debut of the new Romulan Featured Episodes (and the new Melee Weapons, fighters, new puzzle mechanics, etc..), the Delta Flyer and Type 8 Shuttles, the D'Kyr Science Vessel and the Tal'Kyr Support Craft, the Open Jacket Unis..
lets not forget the ESD revamp and the remastered episode. (technically came with the one year anniversary but it was probably more coincidental timing than planned).

all in all feb 2011 was the best month so far. i must admit i doubt march will top it but we do have the foundry imminent, and that should be pretty epic.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
There was new content in February: most of which was very good (and higher quality than anything since November)

I hope there continues to be new content March, April, etc.
While I agree with you on this, I disagree that it qualifies as amazing. I think it falls under; "what we're supposed to get in return for our subscription."

We pay monthly subscription fees and the devs keep adding content, that's the deal. If that wasn't the deal then we could just play single-player games on our computers.

I'm not saying that what happened in February was bad, I'm just saying that amazing has a definition and getting what you paid for doesn't live up to that definition in my book.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
While I agree with you on this, I disagree that it qualifies as amazing. I think it falls under; "what we're supposed to get in return for our subscription."

We pay monthly subscription fees and the devs keep adding content, that's the deal. If that wasn't the deal then we could just play single-player games on our computers.

I'm not saying that what happened in February was bad, I'm just saying that amazing has a definition and getting what you paid for doesn't live up to that definition in my book.
I expect only content with the subscription. This is a quantitative, not qualitative statement.

To have great content (instead of just any content) within that subscription timeframe is better. I felt that February raised the bar in terms of what users could see in STO. It was better content as a whole (and longer) than the previous series.
  • Voice Acting was finally added to series mission briefings: not a dabo wheel, not the tutorial, not a rank up, not asingle (but effective use) in a ghost mission.
  • Cutscenes: the team is getting more effective in their use and even adding voice-work.
  • Environments were much larger and more detailed than past series with higher quality in each. There are things here I couldn't pull off in the Foundry - which addresses a concern you yourself once had.
  • Career-specific objectives were common throughout the series so far, instead of just one mission.
These are qualitative statements. It is that quality, above and beyond a minimum quantity, that I think made February much better than January, December, or November (or even the last series).

Tl;DR version:
  • I expect a minimum in quantity for the sub;
  • to get quality content (in addition to that minimum amount) is better.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

we pay to get content, we have been getting content from day one. i think its hard to argue that the content we got in feb across the board was better than what we have had before. so we are getting not just content but very good content, hence the word amazing. they could have given us content similar to what we had at launch, they did not and went above and beyond what many expected to get.

amazing is of course a very subjective term. what one person likes another hates, what someone thinks is amazing another person thinks is just ok.

you are of course entitled to think that feb was just good or what ever word you wish to describe it but considering the amount of stuff we got and the quality we got many would agree it was amazing. again its just a word and will differ from person to person.

if you dont think so then fine but i would prepare yourself to be either disappointed or at best content for the life of the game as if feb did not impress you, i find it hard to imagine anything they ever give us will impress you.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Sometimes reading certain posts on these forums is like pulling splinters out of a porcupine.

The game is getting better all the time. 'Nuff said. +1 OP.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
Sometimes reading certain posts on these forums is like pulling splinters out of a porcupine.

The game is getting better all the time. 'Nuff said. +1 OP.
Oh yeah.
It seems some people can't enjoy what they have received, and instead whine about what they didn't get or the aspects they didn't like. Or are just curmudgeons and maybe don't realize how abrasive their personalities are....or do.

Been playing MMO's since 2003, and I can't recall a cooler month of updates (listed by previous posters) in any game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-01-2011, 04:25 AM
These last few months of STO for me have been stunning. Thank you Cryptic for such a wonderful game, for all the hard work and dedication, and thank you S31 Tactical Fleet for letting me be part of such a beautiful and friendly group of players ^^

Looking forward to the end of this current series, all of March and beyond...
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-01-2011, 04:42 AM
I agree with the OP. February was a great month, and I've played STO a lot more during that month than I have in recent months. If Cryptic keep this up, STO could turn into a killer MMO.