Lt. Commander
# 11
03-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
But you are saying you cannot name a ship - A ; - B ? Because I have seen players do this and have no problems with it.
No I meant the same name. I can add the A or B to any ship name, but if I have another ship with the same name, then I can't add an A or B. It seems the suggestions here on deleting the old ship with the name seems the only option. I just wish it weren't so.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brex2 View Post
It would be nice if we could do this
I'd have to agree that it would be nice if it worked that way. Preserving the Enterprise tradition, y'know.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus_Penguin View Post
No I meant the same name. I can add the A or B to any ship name, but if I have another ship with the same name, then I can't add an A or B. It seems the suggestions here on deleting the old ship with the name seems the only option. I just wish it weren't so.
It's a simple database issue, as Wish pointed out.

It's unfortunate that they're tied to us under the ship's name instead of the registry number. But accepting that they're stored under the name, it's understandable why we can't have two ships with the same name.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Quote:
But you are saying you cannot name a ship - A ; - B ? Because I have seen players do this and have no problems with it.
You have to incorporate the dash and letter into the name though... such as "Nautilus-A" or "Nautilus-B" etc. I could be wrong, but what I believe the OP is suggesting is that registry numbers be used to further designate ships as well... meaning we can have multiple ships with the same name as follows;

Name Registry
------------------ ------------------
U.S.S. Nautilus - NCC-91000
U.S.S. Nautilus - NCC-91000 - A
U.S.S. Nautilus - NCC-91000 - B
U.S.S. Nautilus - NCC-91000 - C

and so on without having to name them as follows;

Name Registry
------------------ ------------------
U.S.S. Nautilus - NCC-91000
U.S.S. Nautilus-A - NCC-91000 - A
U.S.S. Nautilus-B - NCC-91000 - B
U.S.S. Nautilus-C - NCC-91000 - C
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
This doesn't address the problem. If you look at the hull of Enterprise in TNG, it's not the U.S.S. Enterprise-D. It's U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC 1701-D.

Subtle, but distinct. Maybe if you let us use suffix designators to distinguish ship names, wishstone?
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-01-2011, 09:06 AM
You guys are right, I blame my brain not yet being properly marinated in coffee. Eeerr, hot chocolate, yes.

Sadly the technical side of matters (I double-read what I wrote) stands - at least as far as it had been explained to me, so an easy change is not something I can directly promise. I'll bring it up with the team.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
*passes tasty cappucino with chocolate powder on*
Thanks to the Wish!!!

While the techs do their magics (if it's possibile to change the way the datas are linked to the ship... changing a database key usualy is a tricky thing... ) it could be great to enable a little improvement to the workaround of adding the "letter" to the name: now you cannot add a
" - A" (space minus space letter) to your ship's name as the system allows only
" -A" (space.minus.letter) and - if I remember correctly -
"- A" (minus.space.letter).

Having the double space before and after the line could improve the way it looks without having to change the way the datas are stored...
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
You guys are right, I blame my brain not yet being properly marinated in coffee. Eeerr, hot chocolate, yes.

Sadly the technical side of matters (I double-read what I wrote) stands - at least as far as it had been explained to me, so an easy change is not something I can directly promise. I'll bring it up with the team.
This is greatly appreciated. Hopefully, something can be done down the line.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
About five months ago, I brought this "issue" up with Tarramak. I sent him a PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan_Vaurek
Hey Terramak,

I know you are busy, but if you have the time could you read through this thread, and let me know if the devs are aware of this issue.. and hopefully get some confirmation on whether or not they intend on working it out?

The thread is here:
forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177371

Please take special note to #14 and after, as I mis-worded my original posts there.

I appreciate whatever help you can offer.
He replied with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramak
I can't give 100% confirmation, but I'm fairly certain Bad Things Happen if two ships, two Bridge Officers, etc. *belonging to the same character* are named the same thing. Unfortunately, the registry number is part of something other than the name as far as the game's concerned, so, to mix examples:

U.S.S. Bob NCC-1701-A
U.S.S. Bob NCC-1701-B

The two can't coexist (as far as I understand) because they're still both recognized by the game as "U.S.S. Bob."

So if I'm understanding your concern correctly, I think it's working as designed. Sorry for any disappointment.
So, according to Terramak this is working as intended. However, I do still wish that the naming could be changed to pull from the registry number.

What I have done since that exchange was...

U.S.S. Ship Name NCC-90000
U.S.S. Ship Name-A NCC-90000-A
U.S.S. Ship Name-B NCC-90000-B

No it isn't accurate.. but it does work, and it won't cost you EC (at an ever increasing cost) to rename your ships as you level.

Saith, and Jolan'tru
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
This is a non-issue, really.

When you get a new ship, don't change its name. Change your old ship's name. I have 3 USS-Renowns right now. One is called Renown-Beta. One is called Renown-Gamma. One is called Renown.

When I want to take Renown-Beta out, I rename Renown "Renown-Delta" and rename Beta Renown.

In the case of person wanting to just move the name form the current ship to the new one, spend the energy to rename the current, and then use the free rename to apply the desired name to the new ship.

Simple.