Lt. Commander
# 21
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
but further down the article you referred to it says it would have eventually turned into a cube
I just bloody said that! lol No one listens to me.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
but further down the article you referred to it says it would have eventually turned into a cube
Actually, a sphere. And that would happen if they got the resources to 'feed' the assimilation of the ship further along. On a starfleet ship, the tech isn't alive, its just welded on wreckage, so it won't grow into a symmetrical shape like natural.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
because quantum!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
Fair point. but the dish, shields, and console are symmetric. So...why not the engines?
We can't really judge from the dish and shields as there's only one per ship (and the science ships' extra dish isn't a navigational deflector, IIRC). The console is really the only piece that's remotely symmetrical, and even those aren't in the exact same positions on both sides. Even if they were it's not actually proving anything. It's just the way the devs made it look.

The closer we look at the visual mods the gear sets bring to our ships the more we'll find "wrong" with them. I seriously doubt they were designed to pass close Treknerd scrutiny. Some of the mods show major structural changes that would take weeks in space dock to complete. Thankfully we don't have to endure that kind of realism. I think the gear mods are mainly for the coolness factor, not to achieve any kind of logic in-genre or in-game (I mean, the Borg engines put what looks like a giant mechanical pill bug on one of our nacelles. WTH is that about?). As always, your mileage may vary.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Surprised no one touched on the one engine in "overclocked" mode while the other stays the same
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
We can't really judge from the dish and shields as there's only one per ship (and the science ships' extra dish isn't a navigational deflector, IIRC). The console is really the only piece that's remotely symmetrical, and even those aren't in the exact same positions on both sides. Even if they were it's not actually proving anything. It's just the way the devs made it look.

Z
The pattern that appears when the shield or console is equipped shows a bilateral pattern though, The dish looks quite bilateral as well. It really is just the engines that are out of the norm.

(I was going to say it looked like a more cylindrical horseshoe crab, but w/e :p )
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
The Borg accessories are made to resemble the way Voyager was modified when it had Borg tech installed. It's purposely made to be asymmetrical for this reason alone.

Lt. Commander
# 28
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Are there above view shots? and shots from the other side?
I'm interested
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
Are there above view shots? and shots from the other side?
I'm interested
Not that I can find. Most of the pics that come up when I Google "Voyager Borg Tech" are actually shots of Jeri Ryan. I guess people aren't as interested in the ship as they are in her.

Lt. Commander
# 30
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Coz its kewl, nuf sad.