Lt. Commander
# 31
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I believe it costs merits, not EC to change a ship name. Simply lower the merit costs of changing a ship's name; either across the board or by tier. Merits are dear to a low level character and he probably can't afford to rename each ship as he ranks up but merits become trivial at the top rank. For now, making it easier for lower level characters to rename their old ships lets them keep them and still keep their favorite name for their new ship. The "real" ship name should be your top level one because that's the one you don't grow out of like the lower tier ships. I quit using my favorite names on my Miranda because I couldn't afford the merits to rename them 20 hours of gameplay later when I got my tier 2 ship. Making it much easier to rename the lower level ships would be an easy fix for the problem, at least until they decide to add the registry to the ship's name for game purposes.

You're right.. it is Merits, I think if it was EC it might be easier to deal with.. but you're right, merits are too had to come by at the lower tiers.

Saith
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
For what it's worth, I wanted two ships named Pathfinder (T4 LRSV and T5 LRSV-R), but I didn't particularly care for the whole "shipname hyphen letter" system, so I just took a page from Franz Joseph's book and named the T5 ship the USS Pathfinder II, as you can see below in my sig. Not really a solution to what you guys are asking for, but it works for me (and is nicely retro to boot).
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Technically is it the same reason why you cannot have Exampleman@Exampleaccount twice on the same account.

You can see a dozen different @Name with the same Name (Exampleman@Abalon; Exampleman@Bebulon, Exampleman@Ceculon) but not on the same account - and this simply has to do with the way we store your data on your account.

But you are saying you cannot name a ship - A ; - B ? Because I have seen players do this and have no problems with it.
You can add a -A or -B to your registry, but some people don't want to have to do the same to their ship name. As in the shows you only ever saw the A and B tagged to the registry. What some people want is to have all of their ships have the same name, but with registry suffixes (Like a couple of my characters), but they don't want to have to rename or discharge their old ships (as I do) to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
A very "TOS" approach to the problem is to append "II" to the name of your ship. So that the Enterprise (as an example) becomes the "Enterprise II".

They did this with the Galileo shuttle when it was destroyed. And somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall one of the "lost/Destroyed original series ships got rebuilt and named something like that as well (it would have been in either the animated series or the background info for the Motion Picture. Constitution II? Maybe I'm remembering something from the FASA games.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
A very "TOS" approach to the problem is to append "II" to the name of your ship. So that the Enterprise (as an example) becomes the "Enterprise II".

They did this with the Galileo shuttle when it was destroyed. And somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall one of the "lost/Destroyed original series ships got rebuilt and named something like that as well (it would have been in either the animated series or the background info for the Motion Picture. Constitution II? Maybe I'm remembering something from the FASA games.
The shuttlecraft have different naming and registry conventions to their motherships. In the example of registries, they have an identical registry to their mother ship with the exception of adding a "/ # " to the end. So the Enterprise's Galileo shuttle was "NCC-1707 / 7". The registries were not so prominent on next gen shuttles, with only one or two displaying a unique number other than the mother ship registry. An example of this is the D's Type 7 shuttle 01. It is worth mentioning that the names were not so prominently used in the next gen and beyond. Thus, very few of the shuttles had prominent names, giving an even greater sense of a better age lost in TOS. The TOS shuttles all had their names painted on almost like nose art on a WWII war plane, very prominent, very stylishly done. The TNG shuttles' names (when they were displayed at all) were very small, printed in capital letters.

Personally, I would love to see a return to the "bygone" days of TOS, with the Registry printed on the sides, the mother ship's name beneath that, and the cursive shuttle name painted in red at a jaunty angle.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
A simple way is to number the ship names.

For example when u want all your ships to be called LAME u can call them

LAME I
LAME II
LAME III
LAME IV
LAME V
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
The shuttlecraft have different naming and registry conventions to their motherships.
When I mentioned Shuttlecraft, I was specifically thinking of the "Galileo II"
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radjezz View Post
A simple way is to number the ship names.

For example when u want all your ships to be called LAME u can call them

LAME I
LAME II
LAME III
LAME IV
LAME V
I've done this too.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
When I mentioned Shuttlecraft, I was specifically thinking of the "Galileo II"
You did notice that you've posted a link to the exact same picture I did, right?