Lt. Commander
# 1 First Day, First Impressions
03-03-2011, 01:44 AM
I bought the game this week and managed about 8 hours of play (was home with my sick daughter who basically slept the entire time)... Anway I held out for this game, Im a huge Star Trek fan and generally MMO's usually disapoint me at releases so I tend to stay away for the first year or so. With the price reduction and availability on steam combined with the good feedback in recent days and many added features I was out of reasons not to try it.

So I spent 8 hours playing the game and I have to say I both love it for what it is, and hate it for what it should be. I have this sense of the game that its on the verge of something really great, but certain features are so frustratingly bad that it just overwhelms the positive experiance.

Some of the things I really loved was

Character Creation: So Star Trek its awsome, I loved it, plain and simple

Ship Design. Again, I dont see how it could be improved, it was just pure joy.

Graphics: Awsome, effects as well, the space battles are phenominal looking.

Interface: It is a great interface, it can be a bit tough to find things but I'm working on the assumption this is more a newbie problem then a game problem.

Where the game kind of frustrated me was in its direction and its use of some outdated methods for direction. Their is always some critical piece of information missing. For example sometimes you get the sector but not the system, or you get the sector and system but not where the person is. I probobly spent 4 of the 8 hours simply walking around either in missions or trying to find mission locations and frankly I was bored and several times almost logged off out of frustration. In particular I found it frustrating to find individual people, their is no directionaly display in the hud, just a large circle that encompasses often several areas and you still have to search for the person. Sometimes the person you are looking for doesn't have an icon over his head and other times you walk into a room with lots of people with Icons and you have to wander around. What this game needs is some sort of very specific X marks the spot type hud display so that its easy to find people.

Now I understand that exploration is part of the game but its not exploration when your trying to find a guy to complete a mission or start one. It was quite frustrating and creates a lot of wandering around aimlessly situations that are simply not fun in any way shape or form.

Beyond that I thought some of the mission writing was extremly stale. Vague directions, information and often dull and poorly written dialogue really takes away from the experiance. The voice overs are atrocious and unexciting mixed with the bland writing I often click through chats with NPC's so I wouldn't have to listen to the dreary monologue. Which is odd because sometimes when you enter a system you get some really cool dialogue especially when Nimoy gives you background information on a area you just entered... we need more nimo and considerably less .... blandness.

All together not a terrible experiance, I was really hoping for more but was glad I didn't find less. One of the key features I was really hoping for was to give me the ability to pilot my ship from the bridge, but unfortunatly right now it is more of a display without any functionality, I really hope that in the future we get some features added here.

Also I really thought the warp flight stuff was kind of lame... a lot of waiting around, flying through bland empty space to get to a location.. Warping from encounter to encounter should have an option that allows you to speed things up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Their is always some critical piece of information missing. For example sometimes you get the sector but not the system, or you get the sector and system but not where the person is.
Alt-tab and check stowiki or simply google it. You will find detailed maps about systems and persons.

Quote:
Beyond that I thought some of the mission writing was extremly stale. Vague directions, information and often dull and poorly written dialogue really takes away from the experiance.
Exploration and patrol missions are very bland. The story missions are usually OK.

Quote:
One of the key features I was really hoping for was to give me the ability to pilot my ship from the bridge, but unfortunatly right now it is more of a display without any functionality, I really hope that in the future we get some features added here.
The game was never designed to work that way. Which is odd because that is among the top 5 most requested things. So, it won't be added this year.

Quote:
Also I really thought the warp flight stuff was kind of lame... a lot of waiting around, flying through bland empty space to get to a location.. Warping from encounter to encounter should have an option that allows you to speed things up.
When you hit Vice Admiral, you will have slipstream that makes you faster in warp space.
Also you can (or could) speed up travel considerably by using the instance change feature.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Hopefully, you will find my info to be good news.

The early missions in the game are all going to be revised (the only one that has been so far is the "rescue the Azura" mission).

An exploration revamp is planned....I believe that is number 3 on the list of big items behind the Foundry (user generated content) and the ground combat revamp. So....hopefully within 6 months.

Those 8 hours you played so far were all most likely the work of the first Executive producer, who has since left the game.Most people would probably agree that his product was mediocre. The current XP and team have done some amazing things.

As far as sector space goes (you called it warp flight I believe), eventually you can get several things to make it faster. I personally mainly use the Excelsior refit, which has 2 nice travel features, a long cool down location warp (Earth space dock, SB39, Beta Ursa sector, etc.) or a sector space speed buff with a 2 minute cool down. I think several other ships have extra travel features.

I can only say play some more, once you get into crafting, the featured episodes and some of the other newer content, you will see what the current team has planned for us. You're still playing the early parts that many others panned.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguild View Post
It is exactly the main impression, by the most users here.

For the bad things in the game, the Dev's are working to improve a lot of things. But I still have to admit, no matter how far they go, the Genesis Engine (still a very powerfull MMO engine) is not the right one for Star Trek.

So, why do I still play? Because of the avatar editor, and the featured episodes. This are realy the best things in the game. The ground combat is meh; the space combat is well, not bad; and the exploration (if someone would call that thing in game so) is... well totaly boring at some time. Some missions have nice storys, but the missiondesign is always "Kill 5, scan 5" meh.... Still the featured episodes are quite a little different, well at least the "Cloaked Intentions".

So all in all, STO could be a great game, it still won't be the Franchise's kid. Right now i'd rate it a 6/10, maybe in one year it would be 8/10 but that would be it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2011, 04:59 AM
another thing that may help the wandering a bit is the tricorder icon on the map hud. its a tiny button at the center left of that hud. its a crude compass, pointing you to interact-able and mission objects. unfortunately it is very indiscriminate, sometimes leading you to people, objects, and anomalies. i have suggested several times that that could be fleshed out more, and a good start would be to separate those functions. in any case, it is still helpful more often than not.
Lt. Commander
# 6 yup
03-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
another thing that may help the wandering a bit is the tricorder icon on the map hud. its a tiny button at the center left of that hud. its a crude compass, pointing you to interact-able and mission objects. unfortunately it is very indiscriminate, sometimes leading you to people, objects, and anomalies. i have suggested several times that that could be fleshed out more, and a good start would be to separate those functions. in any case, it is still helpful more often than not.
Ya I found it very strange that I would have trouble locating a person on a Starbase.

What I think they should do is crate a tri corder panel or communicator or something where you can do a database search on a person and find out his current location.... and when you get on the base he should be lit up like a candle on the hud display. Finding mission NPC's and specific locations on bases and such should be easy. I can understand on a mission you might need to search around in an area to find something but not in between missions when you are trying to "get to the fun stuff".

But the wiki link helped guys, thanks for that!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Welcome to STO and I hope your daughter overcomes her ailment both quickly and without issue.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
I bought the game this week.........
Welcome Aboard, Hope your daughter feels better.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Second day much better
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Well the second day was much better, I only had a couple of hours in the evening last night but I did a couple of missions, a few random deep space encounters and I tried out some crafting.

This second mission I did (can't recall the exact name right now) I was sent to rescure a stranded freighter that was being attacked by Orion pirates. It had cut scenes, it had space battles, it had a shoot out on the freighter, it had scanning stuff, it had interaction and an interesting (very trekie) storyline... All and all it felt like Star Trek should feel so bravo on that. It included the classic "ship blowing up last minute beam out" as well which I thought was really cool. I especially liked the fact that in some areas you had to have specific skills that would ultimatly change the outcome for the mission. For example I'm a tactical officer but had I been an engineer I might have been able to save the ship as you could go to the warp core and attempt to shut it down before the ship exploded. Also if I was a science officer I could have saved the life of an injured member of the freighters crew. So I can see how running a mission like that as a team would have been really cool with something to do for everyone.

All and all a very nice, fun mission, definitly the entertainment style I was hoping for and I hope I find more missions like those as I go!

Oh and sorry about the enfraction, I often forget that not everyone is from LA! That's just how we talk people!
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Well the second day was much better, I only had a couple of hours in the evening last night but I did a couple of missions, a few random deep space encounters and I tried out some crafting.

This second mission I did (can't recall the exact name right now) I was sent to rescure a stranded freighter that was being attacked by Orion pirates. It had cut scenes, it had space battles, it had a shoot out on the freighter, it had scanning stuff, it had interaction and an interesting (very trekie) storyline... All and all it felt like Star Trek should feel so bravo on that. It included the classic "ship blowing up last minute beam out" as well which I thought was really cool. I especially liked the fact that in some areas you had to have specific skills that would ultimatly change the outcome for the mission. For example I'm a tactical officer but had I been an engineer I might have been able to save the ship as you could go to the warp core and attempt to shut it down before the ship exploded. Also if I was a science officer I could have saved the life of an injured member of the freighters crew. So I can see how running a mission like that as a team would have been really cool with something to do for everyone.

All and all a very nice, fun mission, definitly the entertainment style I was hoping for and I hope I find more missions like those as I go!

Oh and sorry about the enfraction, I often forget that not everyone is from LA! That's just how we talk people!
ah, you've discovered the remastered "stranded in space" That mission is a decent indicator of where the game is going now, more and more episodes are getting that attention as well as detail and depth, its nice and I'm glad to hear you liked it, welcome aboard and hope ya stick around. You'll find many folks like to help around here and also debate so don't be afraid to ask for help or what you would consider a stupid question.

And for the record, Winters, is down behind Admiral Quinn, go left as you face the ambassador and down the ramp.