Lt. Commander
# 11
03-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm commanding a (Star)Ship, regarless of my rank or status, the correct form of address of the acting officer in command of the (Star)ship is always Captain, if I recall old naval traditions correct.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiGraus View Post
I'm commanding a (Star)Ship, regarless of my rank or status, the correct form of address of the acting officer in command of the (Star)ship is always Captain, if I recall old naval traditions correct.
I thought if the CO had a higher rank, you used that rank; it was only if the CO was below the usual rank, he was still refered to as Captain?
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I thought if the CO had a higher rank, you used that rank; it was only if the CO was below the usual rank, he was still refered to as Captain?
I imagine if you refer to a flag officer as CAPTAIN, you'd be given the death stare! Im trying to imagine anyone who served on the USS New Jersey at Leyte Gulf calling Admiral Halsey "Captain"! I don't think it happened.

/Signed with the OP though. It's not just immersion-breaking, it feels condescending.
"Oh, hello, Rear Admiral lower half. I understand Admiral upper half Smith would like to speak to you!"

Lt. Commander
# 14
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
This is true, in the US military, there is often a difference between the title someone is introduced with, ie is, "this is Lieutenant Colonial Shmidt," and the title they are addressed by, "how may I help you Colonial?"

I believe, by US Naval tradition, Lt. Commanders are usually addressed simply as Commander, so if they are going to start addressing Rear Admirals by their common form of address, they should do the same for the L. Commanders.
they did that in TNG. Picard referred to Riker and Data as Commander more than once.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe they can add a little "Adress me as: -" scrolldown menu in your character screen, listing all your IC ranks (Starfleet and Diplomatic) as well as a generic 'admiral' that overrides the default rankgrab? That should appease those of us who cling to our four pips as well.

And then they just need to add a title for the Ensign rank, as for some reason it seems they overlooked that one.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
the devs have stated in previous threads that they are looking into changing the variables used when NPCs address you so that you are addressed by title or something similar, but it would be prohibitively difficult, because they would literally have to change thousands of dialogues. Personally I think it's well within the devs ability to compromise and change the rank name of RA,LH to Commodore and RA, UH to Rear Admiral, just like when they raised the level cap and changed RA to RA, LH. There is a crowd that don't think Commodore should be used, but at least it's more proper than Rear Admiral, Lower Half.
Actually it's been mentioned Commadore is being saved for a fleet title.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Quote:
the devs have stated in previous threads that they are looking into changing the variables used when NPCs address you so that you are addressed by title or something similar, but it would be prohibitively difficult, because they would literally have to change thousands of dialogues.
It gets harder every time they add more content that uses the existing method. Soon the Foundry going live will vastly increase the rate of the problem.

They could devise a new system, start using it for new content, and retrofit the old content as possible, perhaps during remastering. The longer this goes unfixed, the more expensive it becomes to fix. And the less likely it is to ever get fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
In old navy tradition, the highest title in the food chain of command on board of a single veasle is Captain. This is independed from your rank. It is indeed considered polity to address a captain of a ship with a higher military rank by his rank, but he still is the Captain and the highest authority on board the veasle, even if someone with a higher military rank is present

Officers with an equal military rank to Captain might be addressed as Commander for the time beeing or more senior offiers with the next higher breave rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
I imagine if you refer to a flag officer as CAPTAIN, you'd be given the death stare! Im trying to imagine anyone who served on the USS New Jersey at Leyte Gulf calling Admiral Halsey "Captain"! I don't think it happened.
Again, old navy tradition - a flag officer (aka, shoot me, cos I have raised the flag as leader of the pack), that is commanding more then one veasle at this time, would be addressed as either Commodore (if his military rank is below Admiral) or as Admiral. He can be also the Captain of his own veasle, but it is not nessasary or required.

In reflection of the (food) chain of command:

Captain of a (single) ship - as highest authority of the veasle he commands.

Flag Officer / Commodore or Admiral / of a task group of ships - as the highest authority of all veasels assigned to his group.

Hope, that makes sense?
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
the devs have stated in previous threads that they are looking into changing the variables used when NPCs address you so that you are addressed by title or something similar, but it would be prohibitively difficult, because they would literally have to change thousands of dialogues. Personally I think it's well within the devs ability to compromise and change the rank name of RA,LH to Commodore and RA, UH to Rear Admiral, just like when they raised the level cap and changed RA to RA, LH. There is a crowd that don't think Commodore should be used, but at least it's more proper than Rear Admiral, Lower Half.
good idea, i'd like that
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
the devs have stated in previous threads that they are looking into changing the variables used when NPCs address you so that you are addressed by title or something similar, but it would be prohibitively difficult, because they would literally have to change thousands of dialogues.
True. However, the devs have also said that they need to get around to remastering old missions. I don't recall the exact quote but it had something to do with the need to backport some of the new tech so that they can fix stuff.

If they're going to remaster anyway, then they should fix this. I'd rather have it fixed bit-by-bit than never at all.

Plus, they don't need to touch every single mission. The only missions where the dialog issues are glaringly bad are the ones at the RA level.