Lt. Commander
# 1 Contract Negotiations
03-04-2011, 04:58 AM
I'm curious as to the nature of the deal Cryptic has with Atari.

It would be nice to clear up a lot of the speculation on these boards. I see a lot of posts where people say things like, "More subs, means more money for Cryptic, means more content, etc. etc. etc...." A lot of people would feel really safe in making that assumption, but the truth of the matter is that they are very likely completely wrong.

Depending upon the nature of their contract, it could well be that Cryptic are being paid a fixed amount annually to develop Star Trek Online for Atari. Or quarterly. Or monthly. Then Atari administrates the rest, they pay the license fee, put out the promotional material, and whatever is left is profit for them. It could be that if Cryptic releases the Most Amazing Patch in the World and gains a million additional subscribers, that they wouldn't see an additional dime until the next contract negotiation.

I doubt very much the devs can comment on this, but I thought I would throw it out there just the same to remind everyone that 'nothing is true, everything is permitted'.

No assumption is safe. I learn that lesson every day in the job I'm in.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-04-2011, 05:08 AM
personally, i blame atari for alot of the problems with this game. Atari is infamous for rushing games into the market without proper testing and then fixing them later

just like Star Trek Armada
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-04-2011, 05:15 AM
From wikipedia:
Quote:
On December 9, 2008, Atari SA announced that it had acquired Cryptic Studios.
Cryptic is a subsidiary of Atari. For all intents and purposes, they are the same company.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
From wikipedia:

Cryptic is a subsidiary of Atari. For all intents and purposes, they are the same company.
Doesn't work that way. Atari might have major share (even all the shares) in Cryptic, but they are still different entities.

Also I am pretty sure that any contractual matters are considered secret under a ton of NDA's, so... no point in speculating.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
personally, i blame atari for alot of the problems with this game. Atari is infamous for rushing games into the market without proper testing and then fixing them later

just like Star Trek Armada
Armada is a Activision game... not Atari
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Armada is a Activision game... not Atari
well dont i feel stupid

but my point still stands

atari has a history of rushing games