Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 81
03-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Subscription fees only go so far. The C-Store helps Cryptic maintain a larger staff that can crank out more content more quickly than a smaller group could.
I wish they would meet us halfway and lower the price. They will recoup their funds in the long run anyway. Besides, they have the funds from a decent number of lifetime subscribers which many other MMOs do not offer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 82
03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Comparing the price of anything to the price of the monthly subscription is unfair. There are reasons why the subscription rate for MMO's hasn't increased over time, and none of them are because the value of money hasn't changed. If they had consistently risen in price as everything else labor based has since the first ones the subscription price would easily be 2-3 times as much. Yes, there are other factors; but, this fixed subscription rate that is unable to cover what's being provided is one of the very reasons for the existence of the C-Store.
That is a really difficult argument to make. The sub rates haven't increased, but a lot of the things that used to be prohibitively expensive cost-drivers are dropping in price (such as server space and bandwidth.) The player market is also considerably larger than it has been over the years, and this particular game has the added advantage of the IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Additionally, the $15 monthly subscription rate is so insignificant and so very close to zero that it is one of the large reasons why Free-2-Play is becoming a viable option for quality MMO's. They don't lose all that much subscription revenue while having an increased option to gain the more lucrative C-Store type revenue that hasn't had its pricing held artificially low. Of course, I suppose this is a discussion for another thread.
If it's that insignificant, then there's no reason to charge it unless you're just milking people. But yes, debating their business model is best left for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun712 View Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but it feels as if the new ship assets should have either come out at launch or have been added over time anyway. With a solid content-rich MMO world, the subscription fee can go in the majority towards advertising for more players, and server maintenance. However, due to the issues at launch, STO has had to work towards a level where it is rich and content-filled. They're not there yet, and they're doing a great job to get there. But why charge us extra along the way?
I agree entirely.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 83
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
The player market is also considerably larger than it has been over the years, and this particular game has the added advantage of the IP.
I just want to point out that the IP is a 2-edged sword because it comes with its own cost. How much I'm not sure, but I'm betting it's relatively significant.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 84
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
I just want to point out that the IP is a 2-edged sword because it comes with its own cost. How much I'm not sure, but I'm betting it's relatively significant.
That is true, though I was referring more to the fact that you could probably increase the sub fee and Trek fans are hardcore enough to pay it. They fall all over the C-store after all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 85
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
That is true, though I was referring more to the fact that you could probably increase the sub fee and Trek fans are hardcore enough to pay it. They fall all over the C-store after all.
They will likely lose a lot of non-trek fans if that were the case. I guess until the giant popular MMOs increase their fees, STO will not. I guess it is like a norm or unspoken rule, but I'm sure someone will at some point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 86
03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thun712 View Post
I wish they would meet us halfway and lower the price. They will recoup their funds in the long run anyway. Besides, they have the funds from a decent number of lifetime subscribers which many other MMOs do not offer.
The money gained from a LTS only goes so far. Once it is used up, there is no more revenue coming in from monthly subscriptions.

Sure they would recoup the development money they put into the ships in the long run, yet I am sure you are aware that "a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow". Pretty sure that is one of the Rules of Acquisition too...:p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 87
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Pretty sure that is one of the Rules of Acquisition too...:p
That's it! The C-Store is managed by a greedy Ferengi
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 AM.