Lt. Commander
# 1 Comet broke me I think
03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
The term sublime to the ridiculous comes to mind. I am fast getting to a point where I just have to give up this game...

So many times I seem to have pretty straight forward challenges albeit a bit lengthy and then I hit this brick wall. Tell me please I am missing something cus I just don`t get it. I am trying to finish Night of the Comet. I am a modest science vessel and I have mastered how to tank and be patient. So I have disrupters cannons and a torpedo on the back. OK I know I have to blow up the comet... A touch more challenging than making a drink for a woman... anyway. I manage to immobilise the two Klingon whatsits and go after the comet... Trouble is the phasers and disrupters do nothing. I have to get in front as it going away from me and torpedo it. Took me an age it broke into bits and now I have three shards and umpteen fragments to destroy. Phasers and disruptors do nothing and I have to go and try and get in front to use the torpedo.... Then three deathly Klingons decloak and I kinda did the maths..... probably still be doing the mission next year. You gotta be kidding me.

Tell me.... Do you have to group in this game for stuff like this cus if so I better cancel now. I only ever play on my own. Is there any way of knowing which of these quests are group thingys. Are all episodes group activities... Is there some guide as when it will be essential to group.

So what can I do at my level on my own other than exploring. And is it worth it ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I have done this mission on more than one toon and it was all done solo. I am not sure why you are unable to target and fire upon the comet and the comet fragments.

One you have the three fragment shards from the main comet, those three shards will produce three more for a total of nine fragments. Each time you break a fragment into three pieces, you will have to fight the Klingons.

Maybe when I am in game again I can group with you and help you complete this stage of the mission. Most of this game can be played solo.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhal
The term sublime to the ridiculous comes to mind. I am fast getting to a point where I just have to give up this game...

So many times I seem to have pretty straight forward challenges albeit a bit lengthy and then I hit this brick wall. Tell me please I am missing something cus I just don`t get it. I am trying to finish Night of the Comet. I am a modest science vessel and I have mastered how to tank and be patient. So I have disrupters cannons and a torpedo on the back. OK I know I have to blow up the comet... A touch more challenging than making a drink for a woman... anyway. I manage to immobilise the two Klingon whatsits and go after the comet... Trouble is the phasers and disrupters do nothing. I have to get in front as it going away from me and torpedo it. Took me an age it broke into bits and now I have three shards and umpteen fragments to destroy. Phasers and disruptors do nothing and I have to go and try and get in front to use the torpedo.... Then three deathly Klingons decloak and I kinda did the maths..... probably still be doing the mission next year. You gotta be kidding me.

Tell me.... Do you have to group in this game for stuff like this cus if so I better cancel now. I only ever play on my own. Is there any way of knowing which of these quests are group thingys. Are all episodes group activities... Is there some guide as when it will be essential to group.

So what can I do at my level on my own other than exploring. And is it worth it ?
Drag the Klingons away about 20km (they'll follow), spawn a Photonic Fleet for them to play with, and then rush back to the comet and annihilate it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwynyth View Post
Drag the Klingons away about 20km (they'll follow), spawn a Photonic Fleet for them to play with, and then rush back to the comet and annihilate it.
She can't make a photonic fleet she just started playing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhal
Hail Starfleet, there are alot of story missions on the Fed side of things and that can keep you busy tied in with the exploration clusters you are doing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
I have done this mission on more than one toon and it was all done solo. I am not sure why you are unable to target and fire upon the comet and the comet fragments.

One you have the three fragment shards from the main comet, those three shards will produce three more for a total of nine fragments. Each time you break a fragment into three pieces, you will have to fight the Klingons.

Maybe when I am in game again I can group with you and help you complete this stage of the mission. Most of this game can be played solo.
OK I have only so much engine power and its not enough to get away from them. Just tried again and there was half a dozen of them shooting at me. My phasers and cannons are Level IV and I am a LC 7. I am using a science vessel. I can get them to follow but I am like a pea shooter at these comets. I need the torpedo and that means I need to manouvre . By this time I am tagged and just did this an I was swarmed. I am not a high level I have been playing three weeks. If the quests can't be done solo at LC4 dont give the thing out. The first part of this quest is just childs play what with the Super Mario cart ride through the rings, then the usual ground combat drill. Even the silly puzzle with the drink was easy, but this .. sorry. Its not about patients, time, skill etc its about a solo player at LC7 trying to take on a Klingon Fleet. I can deal with 2 but six. Come on... And there is no ship manouverability [ scuse spelling ] Just fast or slow then turn. But in combat there is no running away and no where to go. And then I'm dead .... every time.

I have trawled the net for answers and they all point to cloaking ( not possible ) and kiting. I know what kiting is but you have a lot of space needed to take a ship with no facilities to then face fire and run off without being caught. I dont have the speed, fire power etc. I can shoot no problem. I can see the comet. But with that and all the fragments I would be here from now till next week. Thats not fun. At all. I can only see this being done with a higher rank, better gear or as I suggest group help. Probably tactical.

Thanks for the offer but I will carry on exploring in much lower areas I guess and avoid these episodes. Pointless. I'll stay well below my level in terms of taking quests, as the quest level is deceiving. And often an indication of group aspirations. Just wish the creators would tell you before you started them. Specially when they start to childishly easy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwynyth View Post
Sorry didn`t get any of that. I have a Science Vessel pretending to be some Klingon ship and I am LC7.

PS: At least in game with ******** they tell you whether its a group quest and even the numbers they suggest plus the obligitory level requirement. And Shattered Halls was difficult from the getgo on your own... Was what I expected. Blizzard may not finish all what they set out to do but at least they care enough about your playing time to structure the levels with great clarity.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
This mission can be done solo. Sure you die multiple times from the Klingons, but eventually you will destroy the comet. I have no problems blasting the thing with my torps and phasers. I've done this mission as a Lt.7.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage View Post
This mission can be done solo. Sure you die multiple times from the Klingons, but eventually you will destroy the comet. I have no problems blasting the thing with my torps and phasers. I've done this mission as a Lt.7.
So thats the fun in this game then just getting killed so you can keep coming back ... over and over and over and over again. The designers have some funny way of creating an enjoyable game. All I see is empty space and two basic concepts..... Fighting ships... Fighting mobs. The ships come in various flavours but all do the same thing. Fire on you and you fire back till one wins. On the ground you fight with guns shooting stuff till they kill you or you kill them. The formula is pretty simple dont you think. I just dont understand how keep flying around waiting to fight a ship or fight a mob in the same environment over and over again can stimulate enjoyment. And now you add to this that sure you can complete but you just die all the time. Sorry I really dont get this at all. where is the skill, adventure, feeling of exploration, comfort and joy from interludes of fun. the meeting of individuals, the interaction with strange beings.... This is supposed to mimic the Star Trek concept isnt it. I dont recalll endless weeks of Voyager where they just kept killing everything in their path all the time.The original Star Trek almost went out its way to stress the human quality of forgiveness and tolerence.

Who created this game... Seriously. Did they even watch the Star Trek films and series. There is no moral highground in this game it is just a very poor shoot-em-up. Worse than Doom when it first came out. Seriously. You just find yourself mindlessly drifting through space, happening upon events and then either engage in ship to ship fighting or get landed on a planet for a bit of Hired Guns. Been doing it for years and I thought we had moved on.

Anyway... have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage View Post
Why die?
  1. Disable the Klinks
  2. Break up the comet
  3. Disable Klink reinforcements
  4. Break up a comet fragment
  5. Disable next pair of Klink reinforcements
  6. Break up another comet fragment
  7. etc.

Be methodical about it and it's just a little tedious.