Lt. Commander
This was a good episode to end the series. I can think of many pros, but a few cons too. (Spoilers in invisotext. Highlight to read)

Pros:

The level of space combat was perfect. Epic space battles to be had, and if you use the Reman shield, you can pretend you're part of the Reman fleet.

---
The Romulan-styled cityscape was excellent. Finally a ground map that's not a secret bunker/compound in the middle of an ice/desert/jungle world with glowy crystals, singing plants, or trees with lava flowing up their trunks and branches all over the place!
---
The ground combat felt fresher with some real strategy needed to defeat enough ground troops solo with various resources to call upon.
---
The orbital strike in the episode kicked ass. It works precisely how it should for the engineering captain ability. It could be given a 5 minute cooldown for the sake of balance, but either way a phaser beam fired from a ship should utterly vaporize a group of soldiers, not knock them on their ass for a few seconds.
---
The voice dialogue was great. The voice actors for Hakeev and Obisek have finally stopped sounding like they've been gargling gravel all day while chain smoking a whole carton of cigarettes.
---
Just enough tidbits and foreshadowing about the Iconians to satisfy me. I found myself pulling a Picard and thinking of something similar his quote on the Borg at the end of Q-Who: "Now that we know of their interference... they will be coming."

Cons:

One issue with my engineer captain: I could not find the engineering optional quest location, especially because it was not highlighted on the map - and I searched everywhere. Cryptic, please put a white circle around ALL mission objectives on the map, including the optional ones?
---
I can understand the Romulan empire wanting to back up the Tal Shiar in the face of Reman insurgency, but the Empress SELA coming to take care of them (and me) personally? That stretches my suspension of disbelief pretty thinly. I hope the Federation President won't show up in a jupiter class dreadnought to handle things personally with photon torpedoes if a Federation colony world wants independence. That would be quite unbecoming of a political leader.
---
I assumed since Remans weren't wildly different from most humanoids in body shape and have no special life support requirements, that they could change their clothes if necessary. Apparently my new Reman boff disagrees.
---
The mission just didn't feel long enough. Plain and simple. I got through to the end thinking "That's it??". I suppose it might have been a good choice making the episode short, so as to leave us wanting more.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
great feedback - both the pro and con.

We will continue to improve and learn form what we do right/wrong. In general I think we've been making great improvements from series to series and I'm hopeful that we'll continue to raise the bar on what these episodes can entail and how fun they can be.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2011, 01:07 PM
my only complaint is the tractor beam mine being the finale mission reward. the reman boff was awesome. but i dont use mines and felt a bit let down realizing cryptic decided to give us a reward for an FE that was playstyle specific.

other then that, great job cryptic. your FEs are really impressing me. and will keep my sub active simply because your showing that this game can go alot farther then alot of naysayers have stated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2011, 01:08 PM
The Romulan Star Empire is much smaller than the the United Federation of Planets or Klingon Empire. Thus, when their entire proletariat class rises up in open rebellion, Sela stepping in makes sense.

Also:
After Haakev's failure, why would Sela trust anyone else to do her job for her?

The arrogance of showing up in your own Scimitar (which made for an epic battle) fits Sela's character nicely.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
This was a good episode to end the series. I can think of many pros, but a few cons too. (Spoilers in invisotext. Highlight to read)

Pros:

The level of space combat was perfect. Epic space battles to be had, and if you use the Reman shield, you can pretend you're part of the Reman fleet.

---
The Romulan-styled cityscape was excellent. Finally a ground map that's not a secret bunker/compound in the middle of an ice/desert/jungle world with glowy crystals, singing plants, or trees with lava flowing up their trunks and branches all over the place!
---
The ground combat felt fresher with some real strategy needed to defeat enough ground troops solo with various resources to call upon.
---
The orbital strike in the episode kicked ass. It works precisely how it should for the engineering captain ability. It could be given a 5 minute cooldown for the sake of balance, but either way a phaser beam fired from a ship should utterly vapourize a group of soldiers, not knock them on their ass for a few seconds.
---
The voice dialogue was great. The voice actors for Hakeev and Obisek have finally stopped sounding like they've been gargling gravel all day while chain smoking a whole carton of cigarettes.
---
Just enough tidbits and foreshadowing about the Iconians to satisfy me. I found myself pulling a Picard and thinking of something similar his quote on the Borg at the end of Q-Who: "Now that we know of their interference... they will be coming."

Cons:

One issue with my engineer captain: I could not find the engineering optional quest location, especially because it was not highlighted on the map - and I searched everywhere. Cryptic, please put a white circle around ALL mission objectives on the map, including the optional ones?
---
I can understand the Romulan empire wanting to back up the Tal Shiar in the face of Reman insurgency, but the Empress SELA coming to take care of them (and me) personally? That stretches my suspension of disbelief pretty thinly. I hope the Federation President won't show up in a jupiter class dreadnought to handle things personally with photon torpedoes if a Federation colony world wants independence. That would be quite unbecoming of a political leader.
---
I assumed since Remans weren't wildly different from most humanoids in body shape and have no special life support requirements, that they could change their clothes if necessary. Apparently my new Reman boff disagrees.
---
The mission just didn't feel long enough. Plain and simple. I got through to the end thinking "That's it??". I suppose it might have been a good choice making the episode short, so as to leave us wanting more.
I have to agree with at least the one "con" regarding the optional engineering objective. I still can't find it and been looking for a while now. Is it even working?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
I have to agree with at least the one "con" regarding the optional engineering objective. I still can't find it and been looking for a while now. Is it even working?
It's on the roof. If you got the cutscene with the fire from the scorpion fighter, you reached the console too late and can't interact with it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The Romulan Star Empire is much smaller than the the United Federation of Planets or Klingon Empire. Thus, when their entire proletariat class rises up in open rebellion, Sela stepping in makes sense.
That reminds me of the 90's Iraq war movie "Three Kings" with George Clooney in the lead role. He and two other soldiers are searching for hoarded Iraqi gold stolen by Saddam, and they manage to steal one of Saddam's limos and a few other vehicles because they have no transportation. They head to an Iraqi town for whatever reason, and upon arriving, The townspeople wail "Saddam is coming to kill us!!!".

It was ridiculous in that movie (as intended), and is ridiculous in this episode.

Quote:
The arrogance of showing up in your own Scimitar (which made for an epic battle) fits Sela's character nicely.
No it doesn't. Hiding in the shadows and pulling the strings fits Sela's character, if you go by the three times she had appeared in TNG (which are the only references to go by).

Quote:
After Haakev's failure, why would Sela trust anyone else to do her job for her?
Sela arrives roughly five minutes after you kill Hakeev! She wouldn't have been informed of his failure, beamed up to her warbird, then hauled ass over to the Tal Shiar base to arrive just in time to catch you. She must have been enroute already, which means she was poking her imperial nose into the situation anyway. Sela isn't even a hands-on kind of Romulan. She's a manipulator, not a do-er.

Quote:
It's on the roof. If you got the cutscene with the fire from the scorpion fighter, you reached the console too late and can't interact with it.
Ohhhh, so that's what that was! I should've brought my fire extinguisher. Hey Stahl, can you set up the episode so that we can complete that optional after the scorpion fighter attacks if we have a fire extinguisher and put the fires out??
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Ok trying to get to the 2nd Orbital Strike Icon (For Tactical) Yet it's blocked by a shield. How do you get past past the shield?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Sela arrives roughly fuve minutes after you kill Hakeev! She wouldn't have been informed of his failure, beamed up to her warbird, then hauled ass over to the Tal Shiar base to arrive just in time to catch you. She must have been enroute already, which means she was poking her imperial nose into the situation anyway. Sela isn't even a hands-on kind of Romulan. She's a manipulator, not a do-er.
Sela's a do-er.

She wasn't afraid to take Spock (!) and Picard (!!) onboard her own ship before (the Captain of the Federation Flagship?????!!!!) What type of mastermind manipulator kidnaps high-ranking officials?

You're seriously ignoring her MO: she's no master manipulator. She's manipulative but only in a "I'll twist your arm, if you'll scratch my back sort of way"
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMatsu View Post
Ok trying to get to the 2nd Orbital Strike Icon (For Tactical) Yet it's blocked by a shield. How do you get past past the shield?
This is a feedback thread, not an episode walkthrough thread. Figure it out for yourself. I did, which means your brain is capable of figuring it out too.