Lt. Commander
# 1 Heya!
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi, I am Pink - some of you may well know me from Champions Online, where I spend the... vast majority of my time going about kicking villain arse. Which may make you wonder - wait, what are you doing here?

I was randomly browsing in my local video game store, and found a copy of STO, retail, for $20. I thought, "Hey, that's cheap. Like - that's a month's subscription, and I don't have to destroy my download limit..."

I had been considering it on and off, but never had a reason, but I was playing one Cryptic MMO, and despite the amount of complaining I post on the forums, I do love it. And Star Trek always seemed like an okay show. Just needed a little push.

Anyway, I have never seen an episode aside from one really old film I saw in high school, with Captain Picard as the captain and some weird special effects involving time and someone choosing to live with an alien woman - I still do not know why we watched it.

But hey, Champions is fun, right?

How much different can it be?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Welcome to this side. I've been moonlighting on the other side while waiting for new things to happen here.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPink
Hi, I am Pink - some of you may well know me from Champions Online, where I spend the... vast majority of my time going about kicking villain arse. Which may make you wonder - wait, what are you doing here?

I was randomly browsing in my local video game store, and found a copy of STO, retail, for $20. I thought, "Hey, that's cheap. Like - that's a month's subscription, and I don't have to destroy my download limit..."

I had been considering it on and off, but never had a reason, but I was playing one Cryptic MMO, and despite the amount of complaining I post on the forums, I do love it. And Star Trek always seemed like an okay show. Just needed a little push.
Yeah....
Quote:
Anyway, I have never seen an episode aside from one really old film I saw in high school, with Captain Picard as the captain and some weird special effects involving time and someone choosing to live with an alien woman - I still do not know why we watched it.
That sounds like Generations with Soran and the Nexus. And that person you're referring to would the Kirk who got trapped in the Nexus, with his wife, who, becuase of Picard, decided to tell her that instead of joining Starfleet, he would be telling her how much he loved her.
Quote:
But hey, Champions is fun, right?

How much different can it be?
Surpisingly, it's very different. For instance, there's no spaceship combat in Champions! :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
That sounds like Generations with Soran and the Nexus. And that person you're referring to would the Kirk who got trapped in the Nexus, with his wife, who, becuase of Picard, decided to tell her that instead of joining Starfleet, he would be telling her how much he loved her.
No, don't think that was it... there was something involving time fields.

I dunno.

Do I need to know about Star Trek to enjoy the game?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Quote:

I dunno.
Maybe it was "The Undiscovered Country" (Film 4).
Quote:
Not really, though reccomended. As the game is set 30 years beyond the last canon production (Nemesis, released in 2002), plus the lack of canon for some parts, most of what people know is merely a passing referance.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2011, 02:35 AM
So your partial to the colour pink then?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-07-2011, 02:43 AM
A guy in pink...

Oh my...

Lt. Commander
# 8
03-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
So your partial to the colour pink then?
To quote Audrey Hepburn, "I believe in pink."

It's just... it's the right color. Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
A guy in pink...

Oh my...

Think about it for a few minutes, I am sure you will eventually figure it out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Think about it for a few minutes, I am sure you will eventually figure it out.
A guy in pink...

Quoting Audrey Hepburn...

Oh my...

Nah, sorry, just messin' with ya, mate - I love her as an actress also. Seriously though - why pink?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Quote:

I dunno.

i think you might mean insurrection but regardless no you dont need to know anything about trek to play the game. obviously it helps and certain references and moments will pass you by but you might find not knowing about trek helps with the sense of wonder and exploring a new game setting.

either way enjoy.