Lt. Commander
# 11
03-07-2011, 05:49 AM
I want to see people reaction, if cryptic was going to release for only 500 emblems, no c-store, no quest just emblems... people would be more outraged then now...

And again, 500 emblems is grindable in approx 1 month. Possible also for casuals? nope not really, but in what game people get topend gear without investing any time at all.

It like people in wow would demand to get frostmourne in less then a month...

People need to realize, that ships are also equpiment, basically they are your armor set and if you put that in that perspective the howl system becomes crystal clear.

You get your basic armor (EC optainable on different tiers), you get your level-cap reward armor, and you have your uncommon armor grindable through emblems/marks.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2011, 07:04 AM
I really don't mind paying for cosmetic related items, such as Uniforms or a different race. But I draw the line when the game can be impacted by buying ships that will alter game play in favour of the purchaser.

I pay $15 per month for Cryptic to release purchasable items and Foundry updates. We are paying them to make more money. Instead of getting real end game content, we get CStore releases. Star Trek is grindy to the extreme, even more so than WoW. I am looking for decent end game and this is not the game that will deliver.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
I really hope you didn't just suggest that I'm rich.
its not "IF" your a fan that wants all items that you automatic be a "rich" person nono, even none rich players can be like "i want it all no mater the cost".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
I want to see people reaction, if cryptic was going to release for only 500 emblems, no c-store, no quest just emblems... people would be more outraged then now...

And again, 500 emblems is grindable in approx 1 month. Possible also for casuals? nope not really, but in what game people get topend gear without investing any time at all.

It like people in wow would demand to get frostmourne in less then a month...

People need to realize, that ships are also equpiment, basically they are your armor set and if you put that in that perspective the howl system becomes crystal clear.

You get your basic armor (EC optainable on different tiers), you get your level-cap reward armor, and you have your uncommon armor grindable through emblems/marks.
give me proof that you can farm 500 emblems in 1 months and not just your word! its my understanding then wen your grinding emblems you face a cooldown timer on the mission that gives emblems wen you repeat the mission to much, timer gets bigger the more you do the missions so i don't think you can farm 500 emblems in a month "time wise".
and world of ******** armor or any related stuff from ******** can't be used for example here, totally different game, its like comparing apples with oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexera
I really don't mind paying for cosmetic related items, such as Uniforms or a different race. But I draw the line when the game can be impacted by buying ships that will alter game play in favour of the purchaser.

I pay $15 per month for Cryptic to release purchasable items and Foundry updates. We are paying them to make more money. Instead of getting real end game content, we get CStore releases. Star Trek is grindy to the extreme, even more so than WoW. I am looking for decent end game and this is not the game that will deliver.
yeah its rare that people don't see the harm in this c-store at this time, we pay "well technical i don't" a monthly fee to make cryptic crew make us "content" witch we get so far BUT that content is either half or totally bugged! cryptic is spending more time on adding goodies to there C-store then to fix whats wrong with this game! really makes me sad.

PS: not saying i'm not happy with the content that we got so far just saying that's that why we "again technical not me" pay a monthly fee for. C-store makes perfect sens if the game is F2P so that's why i'm 100% sure this game will be sooner then we think F2P and keep in mind this game was made with an eye on F2P otherwise you won't start a game with a store at launch!! well thats my opinion anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2011, 07:57 AM
I've long said that I feel that 350 would be a much more psychologically achievable number of emblems for in game grinding and that lowering the C-Store price just slightly to 1000 emblems would be on a par with this, making the C-Store still profitable and making in game much more achievable.

That said I've noticed that ships going in at the minute aren't for Emblems. They're for marks of exploration, now this is much more achievable as if you run B'Tran or the Klingon equivalent you receive marks and emblems for the same missions - just a thought people, just a thought.

Heck if work didn't drag my ass all over the country at the minute reducing my game time significantly I'd aim to grind out, lets say the Nebula, in the next month just for interest sake. 16 a day is...challenging but not impossible, I'd say 6 weeks is more likely the realistic number
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I do not have problem with what Cryptic is doing with the C-Store. I hate say this, but they are a business. Business need to make money. Those who talk about F2P, remember that most F2P limit what levels, characters and content and still have where premium member usually still pay monthly fees to access everything or pay 200 to 300 dollar to unlock everything. Those who say you don't either don't play F2P games or know how to grin and spend the point in the right way.

I understand that 500 emblem seem steep, but it does keep you playing. The C-Store is there for people who have to get it right now and are not patient enough to wait and save up for what they want. A lot of games are starting to do both the monthly payments and a store. There are also games doing both F2P and Pay 2 Play.

Nothing is free, there is always a price to pay. The real question is, is it worth the price to you.

It is worth it to me. I like STO and it has improve greatly since it start and it will only get better.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-07-2011, 08:07 AM
C-Store would be easier to accept if we actually got mission content on a weekly basis. Even if it's just a new set of Genesis templates or a Monster-of-the-Week Sector Defence...
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
I do not have problem with what Cryptic is doing with the C-Store. I hate say this, but they are a business. Business need to make money. Those who talk about F2P, remember that most F2P limit what levels, characters and content and still have where premium member usually still pay monthly fees to access everything or pay 200 to 300 dollar to unlock everything. Those who say you don't either don't play F2P games or know how to grin and spend the point in the right way.

I understand that 500 emblem seem steep, but it does keep you playing. The C-Store is there for people who have to get it right now and are not patient enough to wait and save up for what they want. A lot of games are starting to do both the monthly payments and a store. There are also games doing both F2P and Pay 2 Play.

Nothing is free, there is always a price to pay. The real question is, is it worth the price to you.

It is worth it to me. I like STO and it has improve greatly since it start and it will only get better.
you really have a bad idea on this ! yes cryptic is a business and yes making money is a must, but keep in mind that paying a monthly fee will do that for them! paying extra for some things don't make me cry like crazy either as long as it is "some" things, don't you see that we got more c-store stuff then content for this game don't this makes you at-least a little mad? not to say the stuff we did got its half bugged (example: stf's)
And give me proof of other games that wield a monthly fee and have a c-store alike?! i love that people always refer to other games but never say witch game. its all steam and words you want yourself to be fooled with maybe to make you feel better about your c-store addiction.

oh and yes F2P don't mean you get all things ingame for fee, we all know that a F2P games restrict a player from things "hence the c-store" to unlock that for the players!! your blinded "as most of the Star Trek Fans" you don't mind paying extra! but a normal player might see this as exploitation of the player base witch it is btw.
PS: i'm a fan and have almost all things from the c-store but that don't takes away that i don't see the problem. i know i'm exploited, its my one weakness i absolutely want all items i feel incomplete in this game otherwise. its stupid i know but i bet that 80% of the fan base is like this, only a few see the danger of it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:

Hmm. Here's the thing though, the $15 dollars a month that all of us are paying is (in the traditional MMO model) the money used to keep the game running and produce more content.

This model has worked well for MMOs in the past, (micro-transactions are a fairly late edition to the professional pay-monthly mmo scene). So is STO's population so low they need the extra cash from the C-Store? Have production costs gone up that much? I've heard live chat comments from the Devs stating that "STO is doing very well", which begs the question: is this a money grab, or a necessary means of getting cash in the 'new world economy of MMOs'?

I certainly don't want to insult the Devs, because I think they are doing a bang up job for the most part (and most likely these c-store decisions don't rest with them), but they *are* our champions to the Cryptic powers-that-be. I don't recall seeing any 'marketing' guys here on a daily basis listening to our concerns and replying to our requests (and again I apologize if there are some and I just haven't noticed!).

So I do hope that one of the devs can enlighten us on the c-store and emblem 'price points' and clarify if anyone is buying ships at 500 emblems a shot (because to me that number just seems fairly impracticable due to the time it takes and the repetitive nature of the content in question). At a guess, I would imagine the ratio of c-store buys to emblem buys must be very low. If so, this should be addressed, and in-game only purchases should be more accessible and enjoyable to those who want to get these items this way (IMHO anyways!) ;-)

As a final comment, I do think someone hit a reasonable 'price point' above in one of the other comments. 1000 c-store points or 350 emblems.

Thanks again,

- Z
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
we can whine all we want, the facts are people buy stuff from the c-store ! so why change the c-store wen it does so well ... we whine about the c-store every time something new gets added YET we buy the item "me included" almost instantly so why would cryptic change that! so why do i even care to wage "war" against the c-store, mostly out of frustration that i can't do crap about it! and i hope that more players see this and start thinking different about the c-store so maybe that way things will get changed!

its like smoking law in my country, we all know smoking kills or at-least shorten your life-span YET the government allows the selling of cigarettes, why cus the government gets allot of tax from that sales. is that fair no, is that stupid yes, do we know that fact yes, do we care NO ... same principle for the c-store we know its unfair in an none F2P model do we care NO. well not all some do care but can't do crap about it :p

i bet that this game is making so much money "cus of c-store sales" that cryptic can fund a new game with it!! and possible is doing right now. i don't say this is bad don't get me wrong here !! but at-least fix this game before you divert money to a new project!
and yes the dev's did an excellent job so far and i hope this will continue much longer!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:

As others have already stated, Cryptic are not only making money on STO via subscriptions fee's but also double dipping there customer base by charging another c-store fee for content we have already paid for No other MMO does both. I couldn't care less about fluff items such as costumes, bridges and xp potions being in the C-store but when you can purchase ships with extra abilities it becomes something I have a problem with it. Not to mention the fact the Devs stated only fluff items would ever go into the store.

Also before the c-store defenders jump all over the fact you can buy ships in game for emblems, its such a high amount it can only have been devised to push players towards the c-store. Cryptic should let players use credits to buy the ships just like the you can while levelling up.
Closed Thread