Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out yet that you get one of these ships free in game when you hit VA1. Seeing as endgame is 'still in development', the number one timesink Cryptic has available in this game is rolling alts. So, I'd say the way T5 ships are currently does is designed more to encourage you to roll alts, than to get you to buy them all in the C-Store, or farm up 500 Emblems per.

For me at least, spending a month levelling a new toon is a lot more interesting than farming Emblems every day for a month.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
500 emblems imo would not be that bad, if the grind was a bit less tedious and dull, but if it was more fun then less people would buy, so the c-store has the players between a rock and a hard place.

We get them in game, but the in-game method is no fun and for some it is too lengthy, you can buy them, but that is money out of your pocket for a ship you may not like or may get outdone in a future level cap raise.

At any rate, I think the grind could be improved in such a way it does not hurt the store, improved to such a degree it makes it feel less like we are being forced to buy it from the store rather than grind it out.

I don't mind the store, I just don't like what it is doing to the game in some areas, well at least in the earning your ships in-game area.
It feels like it is holding the game hostage, want new ships? gotta grind your tail off in a very tedious and very grindy feeling way or buy it.

When are we going to get the old way back, when are we going to get new ships that we can buy in the game that do not involve dailies for days upon days, and when are we going to see craftable ships?

I am tired of every new ship going to the store and getting the 500 emblem daily grind treatment, I want to see the fun in earning these things make an appearence and I want ships I can buy even if I have to spend 5 mill on each to get em.

I don't hate grinds, if the grind is made fun and engaging, grinds can be made to have less of a bite without removing the grind from the equation.
I am not apposed to earning my stuff, I just want it to be fun, that is all.

I am glad the ships are now in game, now the grind needs to have some edges rounded off a bit either by lowering the cost of the ships emblemwise or upping how much you get for each daily.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I can understand people grief on this whole issue, but I really don't see what the big deal is complaining about it. We live in a capitalist society that is driven on making profit. They have a set price for these items but most of you don't want to do the grind because you say it is boring or too lazy to invest the time to get it.

I am one of few people to actually earn the 500 emblems to purchase one of these ships and am now working on getting another. Yes it takes some work but you have a sense of accomplishment when you earn it after all of that work. At least that is how I feel about it, you are entitled to your own opinion on this issue..

You can complain about things to change and sometimes it will sometimes it won't. In real life things are not always that easy; yes society is driven on money and that won't change for anything. You have Atari who is trying to make as much money as possible but at the same time the devs are putting in a lot of work and fighting for the rights of other players to have a means to get it without having to use real money to do so.

I guess my whole spill is for you to have a bit more patience and find ways to make the grind more entertaining. Yes it sucks, but what else can you do. I do most of mines with my fellow fleet mates and we team up to do the daily grinds and that makes it a lot less boring maybe you should try it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out yet that you get one of these ships free in game when you hit VA1. Seeing as endgame is 'still in development', the number one timesink Cryptic has available in this game is rolling alts. So, I'd say the way T5 ships are currently does is designed more to encourage you to roll alts, than to get you to buy them all in the C-Store, or farm up 500 Emblems per.

For me at least, spending a month levelling a new toon is a lot more interesting than farming Emblems every day for a month.
funny you say "rolling alts" you do know after the 3th char you need to pay "extra" money for a new char slots !! you do know that i hope, same counts for a new race, you buy the race but not the char slot for it if your out of them !! talk about a rip-off right there. all i can say is cryptic smelled the sent of money and knows we fan will buy them anyways from the c-store and the items for emblems is put in for the minority of players that whine about the c-store, to keep them calm.
and the free ship token is for a "retrofit" ship if cryptic had them added to the game only c-store, cryptic would have a raid on there hands! imagen you get to VA1 and you read the following from the admiral at ESD, welcome to the vice admiral rank <name> now all you need to do is farm 500 emblems to get your very own retrofit ship !!
hehe personally if i would read that, i would have picked up my screen and tossed it true my window to just fuel my rage even more cus i then realize i just destroyed my monitor !! needless to say the fury juices would flow at light-speeds :p lucky us we get a free token and justice is served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazex316 View Post
I can understand people grief on this whole issue, but I really don't see what the big deal is complaining about it. We live in a capitalist society that is driven on making profit. They have a set price for these items ....
Holy crap .. CRYPTIC = FERENGIES :p driven for a profit !!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Cryptic's attitude to the C-store has become more and more mercenary as time goes by. As people rightly point out, this is because people /buy/ these things at these extortionate prices.

Now, how much of this is driven by Atari I don't know, but with the addition of the MVAM Prometheus it has driven it past the point I find acceptable. And in the end, it's not Atari this sours me on - I already know what kind of company Atari is - it is Cryptic.

If Dan genuinely cares about this community as much as he claims to - and I believe he does - then he needs to take a stand on this. The prices being charged for ships are not reasonable, do not provide value-for-money spent and I do not believe for a second are solely designed to cover Cryptic's costs in producing them. At $15 each, that would mean each ship requires the development man-hours of one-half to one-third of a full-priced game, which is well beyond the realm of believability.

Likewise the emblem cost - given the current state of what has to be done to achieve them - is deliberately, outrageously arduous - and again I suggest a developer sits down in his free time and does this grind for himself before asserting it is reasonable and qualifies the rewards as 'available in game'. Other people have jobs, too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxsa
funny you say "rolling alts" you do know after the 3th char you need to pay "extra" money for a new char slots !!
Yeah, I'm aware. But character slots are cheaper than buying the ships. And the reality is, when a new ship comes out that you're interested in, you have three options, not two. You can:

1) Buy the ship in the C-Store
2) Farm up 500 Emblems in game
3) Roll an alt, level it, and use the ship with that toon

Me personally, I've done 1 and 3. 1 when I wanted to use a ship on an existing toon, and 3 when I was just generally interested in the ship.

But regardless, this thread should be C-Store v. Emblems v. Alts.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
The cost is just fine. Grind a little or pay a little cash. And if players can't be bothered or afford to do either...no big deal because none of the C-Store items are required to play the game. Heck none of them are even game changing.

Go figure that players complain that they want to get C-Store items for free in game, Cryptic does so and now they complain that they have to actual spend some time playing the game because the items aren't just handed to them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
Yeah, I'm aware. But character slots are cheaper than buying the ships. And the reality is, when a new ship comes out that you're interested in, you have three options, not two. You can:

1) Buy the ship in the C-Store
2) Farm up 500 Emblems in game
3) Roll an alt, level it, and use the ship with that toon

Me personally, I've done 1 and 3. 1 when I wanted to use a ship on an existing toon, and 3 when I was just generally interested in the ship.

But regardless, this thread should be C-Store v. Emblems v. Alts.
is the nebula in that list for a free token?! not sure here thats why i ask.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
The cost is just fine. Grind a little or pay a little cash. And if players can't be bothered or afford to do either...no big deal because none of the C-Store items are required to play the game. Heck none of them are even game changing.

Go figure that players complain that they want to get C-Store items for free in game, Cryptic does so and now they complain that they have to actual spend some time playing the game because the items aren't just handed to them.
Sir your wrong! examples of things that change the game: MVAM, Galaxy X ship, XP Boost, Trible pets (Buffs), Bridge officers ...
Please next time think before you reply do not change game play ... pfff

Ahm Nothing is free, you pay for game time so not a darn thing is free ... not that i want "totally free" items nobody works for free, thats why people pay a monthly fee for mmo games.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxsa
is the nebula in that list for a free token?! not sure here thats why i ask.




Sir your wrong! examples of things that change the game: MVAM, Galaxy X ship, XP Boost, Trible pets (Buffs), Bridge officers ...
Please next time think before you reply do not change game play ... pfff
Game changing and change the game aren't really usually considered the same thing, and either way I didn't mean them the same way. None of those items, or the lack thereof, will make one player signigicantly more able to play the game than any other, thus they are not "game changing".

Edit: You pay a monthly fee because they charge a monthly fee to access the game. Whatever that comes with is what you get for free with that subscription. Fine if you wish to nit-pick and say that it's thus not free; but if it's available in game, it cost nothing extra (usuallly aka...free).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxsa
is the nebula in that list for a free token?! not sure here thats why i ask.

To the best of my knowledge, no. Only the Defiant, Intrepid and Galaxy Retrofits are presently available for the free VA token. The Nebula and Excelsior are not, and the Prometheus MVAM will not be.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 PM.