Lt. Commander
# 1 Feature series question -
03-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Just for my own education, I'd like to ask this question. Feature episode series have been five weekly episodes long so far. Why is this? From the standpoint of storytelling, it seems like the cloaked intentions series could have gone much, much longer if you wanted. A series of 15-18 episodes would have worked just as well for this story, IMO, and would have given you a much larger canvas on which to tell it. Is this something you have considered? Maybe fewer series with more episodes per series?

EB
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
im sure someone could have made the series go on much longer but its debatable whether people want that much time on one story.

id rather have 15-18 eps divided over 3 stories myself.

also with the current set up its not as practical to do an 18 week unbroken run of episodes unless you still have gapes in between every 5 or 6 episodes but then you get left with lots and lots of cliffhangers.

i think they could probably increase it to 6-8 episodes over 5 but im not sure id really want more than that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I wondered why five episodes when most months have four weeks. I think it probably boils down to resource and budget. DStahl sits in his office and asks how many people do I have? How many people do I have that can do content? What stuff do I want them to do? How many people working how many hours would that take? How much time can they spend on this stuff if I want them to do other stuff? If I spend money on people to do episodes how much do I have left for people doing other stuff? I also think it has something to do with player's attention span to stories. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has asked if we do episodic content how long is long enough to keep people interested in it and how long till they get bored?
It would be interesting if one of the Devs popped in here and let us know.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I believe it comes down to the fact that they do not want to spend too much time on a story and forget about other content. Doing 5 episodes gives them the chance to get some excellent missions out, and then stop so they can work on the next big thing in the game, such as the Foundry or the ground combat revamp which is the case now. If this series was another 5 episodes long then they would be delaying work on the other things.

Honestly, Cloaked Intentions isn't over... well not exactly. We'll be getting another series for it sometime down the line which continues the story of the Iconians. Think about it like this. In TNG, not every episode was about the Borg. In DS9 they weren't all about the Dominion. in VOY they weren't all about the Khazon, Borg, or Undine. They had a few episodes of this, and a few of that. So why should we have a ton of episodes about the Iconians, Romulans, and Remans all at once?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
There are five points on a pentagram.

Its an Illuminati conspiracy!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
There are five points on a pentagram.

Its an Illuminati conspiracy!
I like your idea. I'm sure this is what dstahl has in mind, to corrupt our souls or somesuch.

The earlier suggestion of a cliffhanger is intriguing. So have a series of 5 episodes, end with a serious cliffhanger that will have people talking for weeks, then start another series from that point. That would be both cool and awesome.

EB