Lt. Commander
# 11
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
So essentially, Psyonic powers are different from Telepathic powers in the facet that it's essentially The Force?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Telepathy (mind-reading and mind-to-mind communication) is part of psionics (I, not Y).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Undine Psi attacks are more pinky.

Undine know about the Iconions ? :O They know that they ignored the "GTFO of fluidic space" signs :O well... I give the Iconions 5 weeks before their "extinct" again.
I don't know if the Undine know about the Iconians but it looks like you haven't done the fluidic space missions yet.

Spoiler (highlight to read)
There is an Iconian gate in fluidic space...
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygvar View Post
I don't know if the Undine know about the Iconians but it looks like you haven't done the fluidic space missions yet.

Spoiler (highlight to read)
There is an Iconian gate in fluidic space...
Indeed I have.. Im just thinking of what the Undine reaction would be once they finally learn who made the gates... :O
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
science-fantasy, which is what Trek is
Thank you for stating this.

So many things in Star Trek are fantasy-based (instead of science-based) that I'm surprised the Remans don't use force-lightning and that we haven't received the One Ring as loot...yet.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecrash View Post

So many things in Star Trek are fantasy-based (instead of science-based) that I'm surprised the Remans don't use force-lightning and that we haven't received the One Ring as loot...yet.
Science was refered to as "magick" in the past. Think about it. What would people 3,000 years ago believe if a person arrived with today's technology? They would think it was magical and required some kind of hocus-pocus or voodoo dance to activate. I have no problems with "maguffins" and "deus ex machina" in the game or sci-fi universe so long as there is a somewhat reasonable explination for its existance.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecrash View Post

I think an informal rule is that "Psionics" is magic for science fiction. But in games and settings were both exist, psionics are "mental" powers typically, with telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation as well as precognition and out-of-body stuff being psionic, while fireballs, summoning demons or elementals is "magic".

It can get even more complicated if you get into the realms of D&D, that always had Arcane and Divine Magic and later added Psionics, and Divine Magic often split between "Nature" and "Godly". The latest edition goes further and defines "non-magic" magics like "Martial", and establishes Arcane, Divine, Primal (formerly the Nature Divine magic), Psionics, Shadow and Elemental as possible power forms.
There is also "Ki" which might be magic, psionic or something third (in the latest edition of D&D, Ki is not its own power source due to the overlaps, but both martial and psionic touch upon it.)

In the end, neither psionics or magic are generally "scientific" terms and as such the ontology of this will probably never have an "official" definition. (Of course, in some Sci-Fi settings, magic or psionics might get pseudo-scientific explanations - like Mass Effect Biotics.)

---

Either way, the Remans always had these psionic powers in STO, so if anyhting, the Remans must always have been Undine, or it's just not a hint at anything. I think it's the latter.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Mind Bullets!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think an informal rule is that "Psionics" is magic for science fiction.
True, though like "Radiation", it's starting to look like more of a 20th century thing. These days we have new aliases for it, like "Nanotechnology."