Lt. Commander
Okay so I was playing both Weekly Episodes 2 & 3 tonight (about 1 am - 3 am EST) and while playing I noticied my Ground frame rate was smooth. Very smooth. Its not usually that Amazing. Its playable but every so often I would get some ground choppiness. Now its more fluid. Cryptic are you guys behind this ?

*Space combat is awesome as expected
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2011, 12:25 AM
I've found that the game plays better graphically and frame rate wise with the Post-processing option turned off and at lower screen resolutions. I play the game with a 21 inch TV screen
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2011, 12:29 AM
as a side note - there are multiple engineers working on improving combat performance across the board at Cryptic - including updates for our Season 4 ground combat revamp.

I don't believe many of those updates have made it into our release branch yet, so for now I can't say for certain it is the combat changes we're making that are having the increase in performance for you now.

We do expect combat to be much more reactive on the ground in Season 4.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksterbro View Post
I've found that the game plays better graphically and frame rate wise with the Post-processing option turned off and at lower screen resolutions. I play the game with a 21 inch TV screen
I play on a 27" iMac 2.66 i5 QUAD Core with about a resolution of 2560 x 1440. STO performance settings of 2 out of 3. Plus Im running doh123's STO Version (Mac Port of STO) . And The Frame rate is great!

What computer are you using?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Spec's have slipped my mind but I've got a NVidia Geforce 9800 GT Graphics card which doesn't like shadow effects or post-processing much, but other than that it's great
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
as a side note - there are multiple engineers working on improving combat performance across the board at Cryptic - including updates for our Season 4 ground combat revamp.

I don't believe many of those updates have made it into our release branch yet, so for now I can't say for certain it is the combat changes we're making that are having the increase in performance for you now.

I read the ground combat changes posts with both anticipation and a little trepidation. I like MMO-style combat. I'm not so fond of FPS or fighter style combat in an MMO. DCUO's combat controls are one of the reasons I jettisoned that game shortly before beta ended.

Personally I enjoy the ground combat in STO quite a bit, but there is definitely room for tweaking. Having been in this game since beta (and enjoying the recent changes and upgrades enough to convert to lifetime during the recent sale ), I hope the changes to ground combat aren't going to be too drastic.

Obviously you can't tip your hand too much, but in your opinion will the upcoming changes be something those of us who like the current combat style in general still feel comfortable with?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
I read the ground combat changes posts with both anticipation and a little trepidation. I like MMO-style combat. I'm not so fond of FPS or fighter style combat in an MMO. DCUO's combat controls are one of the reasons I jettisoned that game shortly before beta ended.

Personally I enjoy the ground combat in STO quite a bit, but there is definitely room for tweaking. Having been in this game since beta (and enjoying the recent changes and upgrades enough to convert to lifetime during the recent sale ), I hope the changes to ground combat aren't going to be too drastic.

Obviously you can't tip your hand too much, but in your opinion will the upcoming changes be something those of us who like the current combat style in general still feel comfortable with?
I have to second this. Of the few people that ground PvP regularly that I've talked to, the general consensus is that ground is just fine - maybe not the PvE side so much, but that can be fixed by less "kill 5 possibly invincible mobs who melee you no matter what" and more cool story options and tweaks to enemy health/AI.

Or maybe just a cover system that people can see (since there's already a cover system - go around a corner, recharge your shield).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2011, 11:22 PM
My video card is an Nvidia 9500 GT with a gig of memory and she plays awesome on the ground and space... the only annoyance it gives me is when my character won't turn in the right direction or gets stuck in a wall but -shrug- that's been a problem they're been intending to fix with season 4 so it's all good beyond that Ground Combat has always been - for the most part - enjoyable ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 9 B'Tran Ground Elite Missions
03-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post

I have to say that I have been working diligently on improving my ground game on elite PvE (B'Tran, etc.) by number crunching and re-thinking tactics, (BO Skills, Weapons, Armor, Shields, Tactics, Traits), and have actually won the recent missions against Vito'D and the other normally "one-shot and you die situations". I was beginning to think that Cryptic has been fixing B'Tran. The post above makes me think that maybe...just maybe...I have finally figured some ground combat things out.

Has Cryptic improved B'Tran Ground Missions?