Lt. Commander
# 101
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Well Reliant was a small ship, maybe they didn't have all the Ceti Alpha system details in it's computers to save memory space. good point
But wouldn't Chekov have remembered where Khan and his followers were left after what happened? (Even though he wasn't in the episode but Khan remembers him being there) And if he remembered would he have thought it was kind of weird that there was one less planet in this system from when they left Khan?
Lt. Commander
# 102
03-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle74 View Post
But wouldn't Chekov have remembered where Khan and his followers were left after what happened? (Even though he wasn't in the episode but Khan remembers him being there) And if he remembered would he have thought it was kind of weird that there was one less planet in this system from when they left Khan?
Chekov wasn't on-board during the original mission, so wouldn't have known Khan or the Ceti alpha system from adam.

the biggest plot holes are the destruction of the neighbouring planet yet some how the star ship fails to spot that it happened in the last 20 years, even old records would show that there was one less planet with out any spotting of the debris field (could be on the other side of the system still, these things can talk a long time to happen... usually) and the fact that suddenly Chekov has met Khan.
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Most of those "plot" holes aren't plot holes at all, they're explained through other media/deleted scenes and commentaries...

1 - True.

2 - Supernova, it's stated elsewhere (I believe in the prequel comic that was released), that the supernova was going to cause a chain reaction in other stars in the neighboring area, which in turn would go nova, doing the same to others and so on. It needed to be stopped.

3 - Mining guy knowing these things, true. Him doing it because he lost his home world and wife and family, also very easily believed, he focused all that hate and sorrow for losing all that on a hatred for Spock, who had promised to save him. How exactly he knew where to be is easy, where they came out before will probably be the same again right? Or at least nearby (I'd have to re-watch the film to be sure).

4 - Cardassian drinks may have reached Earth through trade way before Starfleet made first contact.

5 - True, but this is a "mirror" universe

6 - Time Travel is a staple of Sci-Fi, especially Star Trek, the writer is just banged up because it was a clever and respectable way of Abram's to give Star Trek a new run, without ruining our cannonicity that we all as trekies know and love.

7 - The subspace bubble formed by entering warp remains stable for a short while when a warp core is shut down without "slowing" first. It could be argued that the warp core ejection should have popped the bubble of course, but without sitting and arguing the finer points of warp-theory this would get nowhere.

8 - Small objects no bigger than 2 meters in height. If the crew are focusing on the Enterprise I would not be surprised if the crewman on the Narada responsible for watching Sensors did not see it, call it "Human" error.

9 - I think by this point the Enterprise had been told not to move?

10 - Good question... but they never let us into the world far enough to see how different this new alternate universe is.

11 - Stupid Vulcans.

12 - I still think a large amount of defences would overwhelm the Narada, I may be grabbing at straws but still... a "mounted/fixed" phaser turret platform must have access to far more power than a standard ship mounted turret. And there might be a lot more, along with primary and secondary shield defences etc. Without knowing more about what defences Earth has in this universe it's hard to know... Still, the Narada was bad-ass and proved to kick the butt of the entire Starfleet armada so it's still questionable as to why Nero felt it necessary to sneak...

13 - It was a mining ship turned pirate ship. Course it was crazy.

14 - the Narada just came through a fricking black hole!!

15 - The Temporal Prime directive, is quoted somewhere as stating that you have to minimilise damage to the time line as much as possible. Plus Spock doesn't know how far advanced Starfleet has become since he changed the time line. We already know meeting the Narada caused Starfleet to start developing tech at a faster rate of knots.

16 - The Enterprise went out of it's way to save Spock's Mother and Father, being on a starship about to go into battle is safer than being on a planet crumbling into a black hole I think you'd agree, I'd favour my chances on the starship thankyou very much.

It is clear from the post that the writer just has gripe with the new film, and no prior knowlege or open-mindedness to accept these changes, few of these are plot holes once you know more about the lore surrounding the film. And as clearly seen at the end of the post, he's just a little upset about BSG no longer being around...
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
8 - Small objects no bigger than 2 meters in height. If the crew are focusing on the Enterprise I would not be surprised if the crewman on the Narada responsible for watching Sensors did not see it, call it "Human" error.
Have to disagree with that one, Spacesuits by their very nature are very dense to shield from radiation, they would kick back a big signal.

Personal pet peeve with that film is the distances, Scotty saying the instructor reckoned nothing could be beamed further than forty km when in orbit you are three or four hundred km up or the parachute opening apparently 1000 meters above the platform (looked less than a 100) and not having enough time to slow down when base jumpers regularly do jumps from less than 200 meters so even with much thinner atmosphere five times that distance should be more than enough.

Lets not even get in to doing re-entry in a space suit...
Lt. Commander
# 105
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Would you say that The Q Continuum is a plot hole?