Lt. Commander
# 11
03-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.ftw
Hey! I have a stupid question too!

1) In Star Trek the original series, Klingons were pretty much just dudes w/ beards. The Next Generation rolls around and now Klingons are dudes w/ Cranial Ridges, sharp teeth and beards. I was always wondering if there was a story reason behind all this, or if it was just makeup-issues of the 60's?

Funny you ask. It eventually developed into a whole story arc.

In Deep Space 9, the crew go back in time to Kirk's era, and notice the klingons there have smooth heads. They ask Worf what the deal was and he says, "we do not like to discuss it with outsiders", and that was that.

But then Enterprise came around and had a story arc where klingons were being genetically augmented, or infected with a virus, or some such explanation. So, they originally had cranial ridges, then didn't, then did again.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Yes, the Klingons seen in TOS were supposably a hybrid between humans and Klingons, some genetic test gone bad, then they took over the empire for a period.

Really though, it is the fact that TOS didn't have the budget for facial and dental appliances.
Once they got the budget of TMP, they had added in the ridges and the British teefs (actually, they are much balder in TMP than in later incarnations).

I believe it is the same makeup guy for TOS and TMP and he had always wanted the ridges and teeth.....although that might be some George Lucas rewrite of history.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.ftw
Hey! I have a stupid question too!

1) In Star Trek the original series, Klingons were pretty much just dudes w/ beards. The Next Generation rolls around and now Klingons are dudes w/ Cranial Ridges, sharp teeth and beards. I was always wondering if there was a story reason behind all this, or if it was just makeup-issues of the 60's?
As others have said, initially it was due to budget reasons, but as the budgets got bigger for films and future series, they could use more elaborate make up.

Gene Roddenberry always stated that although Klingons in TOS didn't have the distinctive cranial ridges, they should be imagined as having them.

The DS9 season 5 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" brings up the question, and it is later explained in an Enterprise two-part story arc (ENT: "Affliction", "Divergence") as being caused by the Klingon Augment Virus.

The cure has never been explained in canon trek, but the STO Missions "The Ultimate Klingon", "City on the Edge of Never", and "Past Imperfect" centre around the virus and reveal that DNA from Miral Paris is used to cure the augment virus.