Lt. Commander
# 11
03-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Not anymore. The only leveling items on the ground now are the Devidian Ghostbuster Gun, Breen Freeze Cannon, and the useless Fed Type 1 Phaser. The lovely Fed Type 3 and Type 2 phasers are now Mk crippled, as are the in-game-obtainable versions of the "Retrofit Phaser Beam Array" and the new Romulan Disruptor pistol and rifle from the most recent series. (The leveling phasers that come on the TOS Connie, however, still level with you all the way up).

You can still equip two of your away team with the Breen / Devidian weapons, but since they're now unique, that's about all you can get for one toon now. And there are no leveling space weapons that you can get through in-game means, other than the oddball Breen Cluster Torpedo and the new Cloaking Tractor Beam Mine launcher (the new favorite weapon everyone loves to hate in PvP). There are also the Triolic Pattern Enhancer and Subspace Modulator, but those are even more niche items than the Breen Torpedo and Tractor Mines; and they're both unique as well.
There is a forward and rear phaser Arrays (they are unique) but you can still get them, from one of the dividian
missions. They changed the type2? all mine are still auto leveling. (I have 1/3 of my 13 BO fitted out with them)
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin View Post
There is a forward and rear phaser Arrays (they are unique) but you can still get them, from one of the dividian missions.
They are unique, but now non-leveling. If you did these missions before the nerf and have leveling versions, they remain the same. But anyone who does the missions now only gets Mk crippled versions. The Retrofit Phaser Array is especially daft since it's still called "Retrofit Phaser Array" and still even has a little infinity symbol in its icon, but nevertheless is only given in fixed Mk level form, matching your level each time you do the mission. So if you replay these at VA1, you will get "Retrofit Phaser Array Mk XI" now instead of another leveling one. Visually it looks just like the old leveling ones and the ones that come on the TOS Connie, until you examine the stats and the Mk rating; and it does indeed not level with you.

The same goes for the old Fed Type 3 rifles; if you had a few already, they remain unchanged, but anyone who does the missions now can only get Mk crippled versions. And to add insult to injury, you only get one reward from the mission that gives these now, rather than getting a rifle and a bonus each time through.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmonsoon View Post
This question is directed to you Admirals. As a Lieutenant Commander, I'm having a very difficult time deciding if I should Fabricate all my items, purchase them at the Auction, turn in badges, or a little bit of them all. My goal is like most, to have the very best equipment for my level at any given time, in the shortest time possible.

Which is/was best for you and how did your decission effect you by the time you got to Admiral?
I am a Vice Admiral, and my advice is to not buy to much unless you get it for a good price. Spend time gaining experience and weapons and consoles in Star Base 24 ( are always groups of other players there to help you) and space enemy encounters.

I would limit your low level exploration for badges for something you may really want. (mostly patrol missions) If you see a player at a rank above you offer them face value for their stuff (weapons consoles) in energy credits, they are fairly inexpensive at any rank under Rear Admiral. The reason being when you trade in your old gear at earth space dock space dock they only give you 60% of the value of the items worth.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
They are unique, but now non-leveling. If you did these missions before the nerf and have leveling versions, they remain the same. But anyone who does the missions now only gets Mk crippled versions.
These items are not crippled. An item that you get for your mark is almost always better then the levelling items. The only disadvantage is that you have to replay these missions for the item reward.

But if you were always just going for "cheap and without any overhead, but close to my level range", you could just as well buy common (white) gear. (And in fact, since you can buy even mark equipment at the start of your tier, you already got a better item then those leveling items ever gave you.)
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
These items are not crippled. An item that you get for your mark is almost always better then the levelling items. The only disadvantage is that you have to replay these missions for the item reward. But if you were always just going for "cheap and without any overhead, but close to my level range", you could just as well buy common (white) gear. (And in fact, since you can buy even mark equipment at the start of your tier, you already got a better item then those leveling items ever gave you.)
They are crippled now because the leveling feature was the thing that made them great. I don't care that they work off Mk V instead of Mk VI stats; what I care about is they look nice, they have some fun special attacks, and they're something I can (could) use with my crew for my entire career. The problem now is that they're more trouble than they're worth, because you can get green or blue regular weapons with badges or by crafting a lot easier than grinding the same 45 minute mission over and over at every rank. Now the only reason to replay these missions is if you happen to like one of the rewards and decide to grind out a full set of them at VA1 to get the Mk XIs. So it's sad that a mission which gave a nice "keeper" reward and was useful to repeat even at low ranks is now almost pointless. And what were very popular and well liked items are now ruined, or pretty much just taken out of game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
These items are not crippled. An item that you get for your mark is almost always better then the levelling items. The only disadvantage is that you have to replay these missions for the item reward.

But if you were always just going for "cheap and without any overhead, but close to my level range", you could just as well buy common (white) gear. (And in fact, since you can buy even mark equipment at the start of your tier, you already got a better item then those leveling items ever gave you.)
If they are marked infinite, and are unique, then they should level with you! Its just silly for them not to. I haven't checked this yet, But I will. White gear is fine, but why put rewards in and then make them crap later? That Does not make sense! And as we learned from the Chewbacca Defense if it does not make sense you must acquit!
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Go ahead and use your badges as you level up. They aren't any good later.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Go ahead and use your badges as you level up. They aren't any good later.
... yet

/10 char