Lt. Commander
# 71
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
But arent you more likely to get that good iea faster if you have more brains thinking about it and bouncing ideas off one another?
Honestly, no. The best ideas usually come from peopl2 who are very familiar with, or had a hand in developing the system in question (yes, once in a while you do get someone on the outside that does give a helpful perspective that leads to a solution, but in my experience, that more the exception then the rule. And I've been involed in IT and some software development since 1975.)

It's good to expand a team if the success level warrants it, but you should only expand at the rate you can train a new person to be useful on the team with minimal effect on the team's overall progress as development continues.
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Though I understand the point of your post, and agree, I have to ask for elaboration on the statement I highlighted. Lets take the subject of new content, for example. How would having more people developing content NOT increase the speed at which it is made? Or how would having more people hunting and fixing bugs NOT increase the speed at which they are fixed? I suppose if those people didnt work well together, but lets assume they did.
I could be dead wrong about this, but being a web developer I think they're may be some similarities between what the Devs do and what I do - even though web development probably isn't nearly as complex. That being said I can relate to what Wishbone is talking about as far as some bugs might create bigger ones and when writing a program from scratch the solution probably isn't as simple as a Google search or looking to some programming book for an answer.

So instead of spending all that time to fix a minor bug (and in the grand scope of STO, these bugs are smaller) which could takes anywhere from hours to months they move on to work on something bigger and better, such as the feature episodes. I'm sure these bugs are always on the back of their minds and maybe sometimes they even think of a solution, go back to it, see if it works, and if it doesn't they let it go temporarily again to move onto something else.

As far as we know some of these bugs may take months, in which case I'm sure they ask themselves "Are these man hours worth using on this compared to everything else we have planned?"

Then again i could be wrong about all of this, but that's how our mentality is in web design. If you have a problem that can't be solved ina certain amount of time, move on to something else and come back to it later.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Honestly, no. The best ideas usually come from peopl2 who are very familiar with, or had a hand in developing the system in question (yes, once in a while you do get someone on the outside that does give a helpful perspective that leads to a solution, but in my experience, that more the exception then the rule. And I've been involed in IT and some software development since 1975.)

It's good to expand a team if the success level warrants it, but you should only expand at the rate you can train a new person to be useful on the team with minimal effect on the team's overall progress as development continues.
in the same terms getting people in who have worked on top titles from the last 5 years like world of ********, dont punch me but warhammer online and **** might bring a different perspective to the game but whos to say a different way of doing something is bad. warhammer was an amazing pvp game, well balanced and amazing warzones someone from that bacground who is taught how to use this game engine would be a great added person to cryptic.

someone from world of ******** who was in the game creating instances and raids bringing there background and experience and the dif way of looking at things to sto could add a great aspect to sto and cryptic

someone from **** who was in the team that worked on zoneing and map usage could bring that experience to sto and even though a dif way of looking at it would improve sto and increase cryptics game/games.