Lt. Commander
# 11
03-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
It's been pointed out that those ships are actually warp-capable.
Source please.

Of the three options I listed above, I think Starfleet would use the second more often than not. Most medium to large starships having some carrier capacity if needed seems more practical than a dedicated carrier ship.

Starfleet and the UFP dislike the term "warship" and I'm guessing "fighter carrier" or just "carrier" would have similar negative connotations for an organisation primarily interested in promoting peace.

I was hoping the Fed side would get a dedicated carrier ship (Akira retrofit), but the current/planned strategy of any Fed starship being able to carry fighters is much more appealing. It feels more in line with what Starfleet would do, and also allows way more versatility.

So far we've only seen the KDF and Scorpion fighters, but additional Fed only fighters are coming. These may have cooldowns and deployment numbers similar to the KDF fighters. Couple this with being able to place them in the device slot of any ship and I'll be very happy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-10-2011, 12:42 PM
As stated in Memory Alpha sources, as Interceptor-types, Peregrines have warp engines for the explicit purpose of engaging in-system targets quickly. Plus, you can see the warp nacelles on them quite clearly (the two rectangular boxes sticking out of the main hull).
It's not even really a matter of "stating sources" as what is apparent by the craft's design. Plus, whenever we get them in-game, I'm pretty sure they'll be warp-capable then, too. :p
Lt. Commander
# 13 sci's
03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
KDF are going to want a line of dedicated science vessels to compensate for the loss of factional flavor and our lack of such a vessel coming up the ranks.
Heh, I like that comment Roach. It was something I was wondering too when I was ranking my klink, My primary on fed side was sci, and I did wonder where the Fek'Ihr class was. Although sci's get a lil more flavor with the new retrofits, if you wanna spend the c-store credits, but it would be nice to see some sci love.

Quote:
ST Invasion can't be used as a basis for anything in this game, and the Typhon class can't be used because its owned by another game company.

I don't believe you've actually read the threads you speak of. Otherwise you'd have the answers you seek. Also, your OP has the tone of dismissal for alternative POV's presented against yours, so I'm not quite sure its even worth answering some of your other questions.
Lol, do some research about Star Trek: Invasion, chiefly the credits.

Quote:
Viacom Consumer Products/Paramount Pictures
■Director, Product Development - Interactive and Technology: Harry Lang
■Supervisor, Product Development - Interactive and Technology: Daniel Felts
■Special Thanks: Pam Newton, Terri Helton, Andrea Hein, Gerald Kline, Juliet Dutton, Rick Berman, Peter Lauritson, Dave Rossi
■Very Special Thanks: Gene Roddenberry
I believe there is a few names here you should pay attention too before you start your tirade about canon, chiefly Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman, Peter Lauritson and Dave Rossi.

And I see your points Nagus and Lionheart about the P2P vs F2P, and the stipend, I didn't think of it in that respect, It makes much more sense to be used as an alternative. *It would still be cool for us to have it though haha*
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Canon is not just the TV shows and Movies, thats a defensive construct of the fanbase to defend themselves from those who point out flaws in their reasoning. Thier are several legally liscensed Star Trek products on the market that cover the holes left by the TV/Movies.
Liscensed by the owners of the Star Trek intellectual property, much like G.Lucas has to say YA/NAY on any new StarWars products before they are released or even conceptualized, those who own Star Trek must give thier approval on any legally Trek.
That means every legal liscensed product. Only Fanfiction is true non-canon.
If the owners approve then its canon law in my book. So every novel on KDF society and storlines in ST (if a legally allowed printing) is as canon as the movies or TV shows.
Or are we to think the very book written specifically about STO (as a legal IP property) is not canon?
Thats stupid and self-centered on the part of the fans of ST to claim otherwise and hints at thier "elitism" and self-centered need to keep the Federation as special in thier eyes.
Are we to really believe that (thanks to hard canon) there are only two KDF scientists in the whole of KDF history? That the Gorn actually build spaceships and move faster than a snails pace in combat ? (Hard canon would support they are nothing but slow moving lizards and we've never seen an episode where they build anything)
Clinging to hard canon as the only "true" source of ST information is the last defense of a fanbase unwilling to expand their thinking and give up thier "plot devices" that make them seem far better than every other races to grace the universe with their prescence.
Its narrow minded and goes against thier claims of "embracing Diversity".
Hypocracy, the biggest human export.
Lt. Commander
# 15 awesome
03-11-2011, 07:08 PM
*Bows to Roach in Respect*

Your whole Comment there should be posted as a headline on top of all threads with people who cling to the "Canon gods" like neanderthals worshipping fire. Love it!
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_D View Post
Lol, do some research about Star Trek: Invasion, chiefly the credits.
So Cryptic and Atari made ST: Invasion, and not Activision? Because thats exactly what this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Invasion says.

So ya, under the copyright laws I know of, the Typhon can ONLY be used is Activision allows Cryptic to. I don't see that happening.

Also, Just because the fighters exist doesn't require the existance of carriers. Otherwise there would be no need of an air force is R/L cause all those carriers can protect the nations of the world.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Canon is dictated by the holders of the IP Roach, and they're the ones that say, with few exceptions, that the only canon that exist for ST is the shows and movies. Some of the books and comics are considered canon by CBS/Paramount, but most of the books aren't. If theye were canon, then CBS would have required recognition of the Titan and Destiny series' of books. We would be playing a game about the reconstruction of the federation (and every other major power) and not have the borg to deal w/ at all.

So we would probably have the Undine, and iconians, but if you want to play the "let's stretch the definition of canon to what I want" game, then I'd love to see the Borg gone, and have nothing but missions about how I have to help rebuild Vulcan (decimated in the destiny series).
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Thier are several legally liscensed Star Trek products on the market that cover the holes left by the TV/Movies.
Every ST product is "legally liscensed"; it has to be to be able to use the ST name. But just because something uses the ST name doesnt make it canon. The fact is, if CBS decides to make another ST series post TNG, they can ignore all the books that have been written and do whatever they want. That just goes to show you how "canon" they are.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Every ST product is "legally liscensed"; it has to be to be able to use the ST name. But just because something uses the ST name doesnt make it canon. The fact is, if CBS decides to make another ST series post TNG, they can ignore all the books that have been written and do whatever they want. That just goes to show you how "canon" they are.
Cannon that has been written in the existing storyline should be qualified as usable, such as the Klingon based novels released during the TNG timeline.
If an legally produced source has already been added to enrich the genre database of knowledge, I see no issue with said source being referenced.
Otherwise they ignore lots of "canonically excepted and supplemental at the time" materials just becuase it never an episode made or a movie produced. That is narrow view of the whole of the genre and weak excuse for why things should be a certain way.

CBS's idea of canon is what ever gives them a profit at that time.

I'm just trying to say there is more out there in the "big picture" than just what has been onscreen.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
Canon is dictated by the holders of the IP Roach, and they're the ones that say, with few exceptions, that the only canon that exist for ST is the shows and movies. Some of the books and comics are considered canon by CBS/Paramount, but most of the books aren't.
Which books then? Which outside sources are considered canon?

Quote:
if you want to play the "let's stretch the definition of canon to what I want" game, then I'd love to see the Borg gone, and have nothing but missions about how I have to help rebuild Vulcan (decimated in the destiny series)
Thats not what I asked for, a game set to me "viewpoint", is it?
My arguement has been about canon sources and their effect on the genre, specificaly the KDf and how the "hard canon" viewpoint is too limited and a poor reprensitation of anything but a small section of KDF life.

I want a better definition of what canonically exceptable than just the adventures of a small section of SF Captains and thier often isolated adventures,the odd glimpse into alien cultures and societies, not a "what I want in the game" setting.
If the fanbase is going to cry "hard canon" everytime something comes up then I would like to know exactly what is hard canon and why?
How far does it cover? Whats left out becuase even the movies and shows did not show all aspects of everything. Where are the missing peices filled in from?