Lt. Commander
# 21
11-05-2010, 09:31 PM
the atmosphere rumble effect thing is cool... but if you get that close to the planet you can end up scraping the surface with your saucer tip...

ends up lookin like our ships are the size of Australia...
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I too would love to see this implemented! Watching a starship sail around the horizon of a planet is one of the most majestic sights in any Star Trek episode or movie.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Larger planets, yes.
Larger orbits of moons and asteroids, yes.

Not quite sold on the standard orbit idea yet though.

On a related note, if nothing else, when I am close enough to a planet for my ship to start rumbling, and the screen to go white, I want damage.

I want an atmosphere thick enough to engage in combat, hide from enemies, seek refuge while I repair, and other clever maneuvers. I want an environment where the amount of damage recieved is directly proportional to the size of my craft and its velocity. Shuttles, being small, take no damage in most atmospheres, Large cruisers have to move at a crawl.

I also want environments similar to this in thick nebulae, gas giants, planetary rings, etc. Star trek has given us many lovely environments, and space itself holds more. I want to hunt archeological ruins of uber ancient civilizations on a partially shredded planet caught in a black hole's accretion disk.

Oh, and when I hit an asteroid at full impulse, I should be dead. Lower speeds can do lower amounts of damage, sure, and the bigger I am, the better I can handle it, maybe, but I should take at least SOME damage.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I am all for something being done here. If that means keeping ships at the "cinematic" distance, fine. If that means making planets bigger, fine.