Lt. Commander
# 1 New to Foundry
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey all! I kinda missed all the Foundry stuff. I then had an idea for a good "puzzle" episode. Problem is, I cant figure out a few things.

I created an episode (well part of one at least); and I have one question....

At the start of the episode, do all missions start at ESD? I searched and never found out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8monkey View Post
Hey all! I kinda missed all the Foundry stuff. I then had an idea for a good "puzzle" episode. Problem is, I cant figure out a few things.

I created an episode (well part of one at least); and I have one question....

At the start of the episode, do all missions start at ESD? I searched and never found out.
No, you get to choose where you want your mission to start; ESD is just the default map that shows up first. You can pick any of the existing star systems or ground locations that have been tagged for use in the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Nagus. I just started goofing off with it and haven't figured that out yet.... Guess it's back to the tutorials!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8monkey View Post
Thanks, Nagus. I just started goofing off with it and haven't figured that out yet.... Guess it's back to the tutorials!
There should be a map transfer box in the story tree section of the mission, and there should be a button on the map transfer box that you can click to select the location you want. That will open up a window that will show ESD by default, with a drop down menu at the top left corner for you to select other locations
Lt. Commander
# 5 custom maps
03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey Nagus, can you answer me this. Do you have to place custom maps into preexisting systems? If there's a way of making your own system for a mission I can't figure it out. I can make the map...not an issue there. Also how do you level up your test character?

Thanks...
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommus View Post
Hey Nagus, can you answer me this. Do you have to place custom maps into preexisting systems? If there's a way of making your own system for a mission I can't figure it out. I can make the map...not an issue there. Also how do you level up your test character?

Thanks...
All Foundry missions have to start from an existing game location. As far as leveling your test characters, there is no way to auto-level so you have to level a new character normally. However, you can copy your characters from holodeck to tribble and they will have the exact same level/gear/ship as they do on holodeck. Here is the link to the copy utility:

http://startrekonline.com/test-shard/character-transfer
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info. If I want to create a world for a mission does it have to go into one of the preexisting systems or can I place it somewhere random?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommus View Post
Thanks for the info. If I want to create a world for a mission does it have to go into one of the preexisting systems or can I place it somewhere random?
You do have to send a player to an existing location(such as a star system) to START your mission. However, once they actually load into your mission, it can be anything you want. You get to create the map(be it ground, space or both) and put whatever you want on it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Like tGN is saying, you have to start a mission at an existing star system, like say Vulcan. What you can do though is say something to the effect that you need to head to this system and once there make the final course correction to <blah> system. One of the things I tend to do is look at the star systems that are near existing 'doors' and use those locations as the setting for the story so i can create the system itself while still using existing locations to access them.