Lt. Commander
# 51
03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
Quoted for truth. Tired of seeing people bash Voyager and Enterprise for no other reason than because it seems standard to do so.
You know, I recently rewatched all four seasons of Enterprise, all seven seasons of Voyager, and large portions of TNG. I've come to the conclusion that people who hate ENT and VOY usually are just jumping on a bandwagon, because both Enterprise and Voyager had a unique atmosphere that TNG, TOS, and DS9 could not replicate. I admit, that I was one of those bandwagon jumpers when ENT was out, but even the early seasons had some decent writing and considering the fact that there is NO Trek on TV now (and probably never will be), I really wish Trekkies and Trekkers at the time had given the show more of a chance. They ultimately screwed themselves. The fourth season of Enterprise especially was very well done.

People forget that the first season or two of TNG was a total borefest. To this day, I still cannot bring myself to watch more than a smattering of DS9 episodes because I find it just as dull as I did at the time. Voyager was good at engaging its audience and getting people attached to its relatively-one dimensional characters. Enterprise, if you give it an honest chance, was no as bad of a prequel as we all said it was at the time. There were continuity issues, but considering the fact that Star Trek XI effectively wiped out five different Star Trek series and yet somehow became the highest earning Trek movie in history, it's not like getting Enterprise canceled really helped preserve the timeline -_-

Back on topic about the multiple warp cores-- I said all of that on like the second page. I'm glad others can see why it makes sense to have three different targets as opposed to one that only attack one system at a time. I think we ought to just agree to disagree on that because neither side really seems to grasp what the other is saying. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it makes sense to have the Prometheus separated.
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Each of the series had its own unique flavour. My problem with Voyager, and to a lesser extent, Enterprise, is that the stories are so badly written, and the obvious deus ex machina solutions were so badly thought out.

That and the horrible acting.

And the irony is that Enterprise is the only series unaffected by JJ's abomination.
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I think that they did what they could to make the show exciting. The cast had the worst chemistry of any other Trek class so extraordinary means had to be used to keep the viewers' attention which often included making plots so huge that they had to be retconned by the end of the episode. Other episodes were just bad for no reason, but so were certain episodes of TNG and DS9.

Voyager had plenty of good episodes to make up for the bad ones, but people dwell on the "Thresholds". And a duex ex machina can often be an effective writing device allowing the writers to pull off plots that otherwise could not have been done. My biggest complaint about Voyager was the flatness of "Endgame" and how it became too much about Janeway. Kes should have never been booted from the show and they should have made "The Year of Hell" a season-long arc like they originally intended. The Doctor and Seven should have ended up together and the show shouldn't have become all about the Borg and Seven of Nine after the fourth season. To be fair, that was after a string of failed villians that never quite gained the popularity of TOS's Klingons, TNG's Borg, or DS9's Dominion. The Kazon, Vadwar (sp?), the female Caretaker... all failed. So they ended up relying heavily on Jeri Ryan's T&A and the Borg which turned a lot of people off.
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Each of the series had its own unique flavour. My problem with Voyager, and to a lesser extent, Enterprise, is that the stories are so badly written, and the obvious deus ex machina solutions were so badly thought out.

And the irony is that Enterprise is the only series unaffected by JJ's abomination.
The fact that ENT stayed intact even in JJ's alternate universe is a crime against humnity. I didn't hate the show, but how can you wipe out Picard, Sisko, Janeway and everyone in between and keep Archer? Not to say I hate Archer or the guy that played him (thought he did a pretty good job with the material he was given) but what the hell?

J.J had better know what he's doing or he's going to eventually drive the Trek franchise back into the grave once the novelty of this alternate-Enterprise crap wears off.
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
My prefered quote for times like this is: "If you can't say anything nice, you must be at the Icecapades."
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
My main problem is that these things are out on Tribble, no one tests them, then they complain a day after the bloody thing is released. If I were a developer, I'd be ripping my hair out. Sometimes updates aren't what I wanted or anticipated, but knowing that I had the chance to test it on tribble and give feedback and that I didn't, I keep my mouth shut.
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Agreed each was its own, and honestly they all started out with horribly bad acting, and got better with time(mostly), shame on the short life span of Enterprise it was getting really good (though could never get used to the intro music/song), especially since ...well...no more Trek on TV!!!!!!!!!

But to stay on track here MVAM is good if you learn how to use it like anything in any game, but for me personally I had already purchased the Prometheus and was hoping that maybe could have just purchased a upgrade for the one I already had, oh well bought one anyways and not my thing, I personally prefer my Defiant-R, but nice to fly around and "fall apart" once in a while
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelscout View Post
Agreed each was its own, and honestly they all started out with horribly bad acting, and got better with time(mostly), shame on the short life span of Enterprise it was getting really good (though could never get used to the intro music/song), especially since ...well...no more Trek on TV!!!!!!!!!
What's really bad about that song is that it actually got worse in season 3 and 4. Whereas in season 1 and 2 it was more of an 80's "buttrock" sound, season 3 and 4 it became kind of a 70's country-rock sound.

And there is the Rod Stewart version (though I believe that one was actually out first), which is just putrid.

That song (and intro) kept me from watching ENT in it's original run. I remember turning it on one night (probably the second season) and that intro almost made me puke. Not Star Trek in the least. It was so bad, it would have been better if they'd hired Shatner to sping something.