Lt. Commander
# 11
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I like the question raised by mmsock allowing us to use our away teams more thank you mmsock for raising question and thank you Dan Stahl for your time in answering the questions of the public.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Nice interview, thanks for taking the time to do it.

But I have to say this:

See, I have been a player since launch, I'm a lifetime sub holder, and I have been in half a dozen fleets since this game launched. I am currently without a fleet for the simple fact that the drama and childish behavior that seems to bounce around in a fleet is a drain on my energy and time. I don't need it. I generally fly solo because that feels the most "Trek" to me, but occasionally I like to team up for something big. I can do that fine without a fleet on most days.

Granted, there are fleets out there that I am sure have little drama and such going on, but you can't know who to trust so I can't take "your word for it". I also was in a fleet that will remain nameless who had such an elitist attitude ... they often offended me and I was in the fleet with them.

Anyway, I am not joining another fleet. I join for STF, PvP and try to answer questions and help in zone chat whenever I can. I get by fine without a fleet, and frankly have had more fun and enjoyment being without one. I decline the random fleet invite, and I even decline those polite enough to send a tell first. I am just tired of trying to find a good fleet.

So, if I understand Stahl correctly, I will be basically screwed in the future since I am not in a fleet? The way he makes it sound is as if the best loot and set rewards coming will be available to those in a fleet. So, it's like saying, "join a fleet or do without".

I may be misunderstanding here and I apologize in advance if that is so, but it bothers me to think I would be forced to do something I don't want to do just to be able to have access to what others get. If that makes sense?

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I have a real problem with having to join a fleet to have access to anything. I consider myself a knowledgeable player, and I consider myself a good teammate. I should be able to perform on any team, not just one made of Fleet members. I am already a member of STAR Fleet, doesn't that count?
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
@ Staalker: I agree with you whole heartedly. I too tend to fly solo as it feels more like a more cannon ship captain experience. That said, I personally, am hoping that a larger cap on fleet action participation will not only allow for more fleet members to join in an action, but will actually encourage more cooperation between fleets to accomplish a common goal.

That naturally includes the solo captain such as myself realising that he cannot tackle this challenge alone and in order to hopefully win the upcoming engagement has no choice but to team up, even if its only temporary. I am a Starfleet officer and while I may not be associated with a specialized fleet, I am not above joining a battle group or a taskforce of other Federation ships for mutual benfit.

There are some elitist folks out there and that is truely saddening, but I try to remember that we are all part of one big happy fleet, be it Starfleet or the Klingon defense force and in my case the game mainly revolves around teamwork and cooperation more so than that mentality of "Hey I'm in [RANDOM] fleet, we totally rule and we've got the best stuff. If you're not one of us you are a total loser."

I've befriended more people as a result of facing a shared crisis, and occasionally team up with those same people, when I run into them at random, but again I'm not affiliated with a particular fleet.

Also, bear in mind special fleet rewards doesn't necessarily translate into more powerful rewards in the conventional sense, it could also mean rewards reserved exclusively to fleets. Personally, I'm hoping that translates into things like research facility schematics, or starbase schematics, unique forms of armor or uniforms unlocks which don't really affect game play but allows fleet members to look specialized in whatever field they're trying to specialize in.

I wouldn't worry too much about fleet rewards drastically unbalancing the game. The dev's thankfully seem to have that concern on the forefront of their minds at all times.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Uh, someone has a transcript of this that doesn't require Flash?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
if you see my post on the first page (it is the second post) it has links to alternate versions
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Ah OK, cool. I can view the Flash version, but I prefer to avoid Flash when possible.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I enjoyed the interview and it's nice to see where dstal wishes to see the game evolution go.