Lt. Commander
# 1 Lies Darn Lies and Statistics
03-15-2011, 07:49 PM
"Lies Darn Lies and Statistics"

First-contact/Diplomacy/Exploration mission.

Test your ability to negotiate for a technology that will help bring a quicker peace to the Federation. Be one of the first to explore the Hubren society. How far will you go to complete your mission without violating the Prime Directive?

"Owning your Mistakes"

Diplomatic Mission--in a dealing with diplomats type of way.

Every decision has consequences. Your actions on the Hubren Homeworld were no different. Admirals, Diplomats, politicans, and of course news reporters have an opinion on your actions. Are you a villian-pawn for a Federation gone astray? Are you a model officer and celebrated hero? Or has a third-party exploited an opprotunity for their personal ambitions? It's an election year and everyone from the Federation President to the Governor of the New Atlantis Continent weighs in.

Oh and by the way, you are in charge of the construction of a new research facility on Andoria. When completed, this new facility will challege the Daystrom Institute for the title of "Leader in Federation Research."

"Ashes to Light"
First-contact--Exploration--Away Mission gone wrong type of mission.

The remains of an ancient civilization lost to the birth of a second star in orbit no farther away than Jupiter is to Earth have Stellarcartography, Exoarcheology, and Geology Department Heads battleing for priority access to the sensor array.

It doesn't take long before a standard research mission goes south. There's always risk in turning on ancient technology. That's one of the things that makes being in Starfleet fun. But this time, it could cost the lives of your crew. To save their lives, you are going to have to depend on an understaffed SCIENCE LAB and a tempermental HOLODECK. In the process, you are going to BOLDLY visit a strange new world with an unique civilization that turned to dust thousands of years ago.

****Thanks in advance for checking these missions out. I know there are a lot of good ones out there. I hope you enjoy playing them as much as I did making them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I've just finished playing through your first mission there. You have a pretty strong concept in these aliens, however this needs a lot of polish. You really need to proofread the dialogue for spelling errors, as there were quite a lot. If it helps, you can type your dialogue in Microsoft Word or something to utilize the spellchecker, and then copy/paste it into the Foundry prompts. However, that's not going to help with your Characters' names, which were spelled inconsistently as well. It also can't help you with word mixups, like "Sentients" (A plural of "Sentient") and "Sentience" (The quality of being Sentient, or self-aware). Either way, it still needs to be proofread before you should publish it.
Also, I don't think that making up regulation names and numbers is really a good idea. I realize it was probably for the sake of a joke, but it was just too clunky for it to really work. The same could probably be said of the statistics speak, but it's so crucial to the mission I don't think it's possible to change much of it. It was also a little weird having my Andorian tactical officer tell me she's going to be replaced by an Andorian tactical officer, but I guess that can't really be helped either.

On the positive side, you clearly did a lot of work putting detail into the interior maps, and in building up this race from a good concept. The final "Brood room" in particular was interestingly done. I really think this could move up to being great if you can work out the spelling and dialogue issues.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2011, 07:42 AM
thanks for giving it a try and for the great feedback. I didn't even think to cut and paste to check for spelling. I learn something new every day.

On a side note--I've been trying to create mission ideas that have a non-combat solution. I've read a number of post that say there's too much in the game and it takes away from what startrek was about. I've used combat elements, but try to keep battles simple and use them as a story-telling-devise. I'm just curious if you all think there's room for these types of missions in STO and what it takes to make them work.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequillabob View Post
On a side note--I've been trying to create mission ideas that have a non-combat solution. I've read a number of post that say there's too much in the game and it takes away from what startrek was about. I've used combat elements, but try to keep battles simple and use them as a story-telling-devise. I'm just curious if you all think there's room for these types of missions in STO and what it takes to make them work.
None combat missions are always fun as long as there designed well. We are however in the Cryptic STO universe, war is hard not to get involved it.

The best advise I can give in this instance is check out other peoples missions.
Just played two that do this well.
'Hunters' By Palarival
and
'What Are Little Ferengi Made Of' By mygod_itsfullofstars