Lt. Commander
# 221
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSmith01 View Post
The artwork is very interesting. The Neg'Var entering the asteroid field looks like an interesting design change. The asteroid field itself looks interesting. The second picture with the Miranda-class ship looks way different then the Miranda-class ships that I remember. All in all, the artwork is very nice.
Do we tell him?
Lt. Commander
# 222
01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I think it is quite interesting to see the designs of those ships, but how the spacial surrounding looked so good. I am thrilled and excited.
Lt. Commander
# 223
01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I just cannot see Star Fleet using ships that are over one hundred years old for active duty.

Does anyone agree?
I agree.

I'm also dodging the apparent problem by assuming that, like car manufacturers, Starfleet actually retired the 24th-century Miranda class long ago -- they just liked the name so much they reused it for a new class of ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
It tends to look Psuedo-comic in style, imo. While that is a nice artistic style, I question it for Star Trek.
As I did in a comment on the previous set of screenshots released. So you're not alone there.

Actually, this morning I happened to see the in-game footage from Cryptic's other announced game, Champions Online. Not surprisingly, the graphics in that game look very much inspired by comics or graphic novels.

So would it be very wrong of me to speculate that something of that style might be finding its way into Cryptic's other game that uses the Champions Online engine, particularly given the amazingly short development schedule for Cryptic to ship STO after gaining the license to make it?

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 224
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Actually, this morning I happened to see the in-game footage from Cryptic's other announced game, Champions Online. Not surprisingly, the graphics in that game look very much inspired by comics or graphic novels.

So would it be very wrong of me to speculate that something of that style might be finding its way into Cryptic's other game that uses the Champions Online engine, particularly given the amazingly short development schedule for Cryptic to ship STO after gaining the license to make it?

--Flatfingers
I'd say not, take it from me Champions is a very different looking game to what we're seeing here in these screenshots.
Lt. Commander
# 225
01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Love the Raptor class Klingon vessel , although the color scheme could be a bit darker, but nice job on this . The miranda blockiness leaves me thinking it's lego design . I've always viewed Federation vessels as having a bit more sleekness to them . Trials off the Nacelles leave me cold though . Over all nice though , looking forward to see what other ship design come out.
Lt. Commander
# 226
01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
the head of the Raptor-Class is slightly smaller and narrower than what we saw in Sleeping Dogs, also the neck has been elongated and tapers in more to give it a more graceful look.
Lt. Commander
# 227
01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
i like the klingon ship, anyone know what its called?

the miranda ....just jooks wrong. and why does it have the NX-91001 hull number (thats the same number as that "non-sovereign" new ship)????

so +1 klingons
and -1.5 fed
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
I agree.

I'm also dodging the apparent problem by assuming that, like car manufacturers, Starfleet actually retired the 24th-century Miranda class long ago -- they just liked the name so much they reused it for a new class of ship.

As I did in a comment on the previous set of screenshots released. So you're not alone there.

--Flatfingers
But what about every other backwater part of the UFP?

what says the economic situation in every sector is on par? Some folks might still be using anything they can get for local protection.

Sovereign members of the UFP have local armies and militia.

I believe it has been stated in books many outlying areas buy lots of surplus, retires starfleet star ships.
---

Starfleet now has ships that can get almost anywhere fast, but not everyone may have the best of the best.

Also: Long term missions and 'living off the land' where you have no choice but to salvage, modify...whatever to stay alive and keep going.

Anyway we all know space is big and the idea of mothballing anything is kind of silly when so many are needed out there.

Sorry. Just playing D's advocate. You always have my respect.

Also sorry for fomenting any negativity...insulting or offending anyone from Cryptic, Atari, CBS, Paramount was not intended at all.

Bad Klingon food packs and a sour stomach also had something to do with it. oooooooo
Lt. Commander
# 229
01-29-2009, 07:07 AM
The Unity of Order.. serving the Rihannsu.. throne.

Soon to be Conquering a system near You!

I am not a simple wind up soldier.. I just travel with some...

Retire your tiered weary ships to my system and i shall give them purpose...
Lt. Commander
# 230
01-29-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm really loving the variety of space terrain we see in the various screenshots -- nebulae, asteroid fields, planetary debris fields, planetary ring systems... I have a very good feeling about the environment of the game. I hope that we'll see environmental interactivity along the lines of Klingon Academy -- the terrain in that game made for some outstanding tactical options. An updated version of those same sensibilities would be awesome.

That said, I'm a little uncertain about the length of the trails on the pseudo-Miranda. There's some precedent for trails at warp and impulse in the movies, but I think that this pushes the envelope a bit.