Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I don't think deaths should be kept track of. Otherwise people will log out to avoid them.
I also have a problem with a "kill" count, because of the way STO keeps track of kills. The way it works now, if 5 people focus fire & kill a ship, Each of them get a kill on the scoreboard. Unless that was changed, it seems to me that all you have to do to inflate this number is to use a large number of AOE attacks., or constantly switch targets.
If I understand the system correctly, it doesn't work like t hat. You need to deal a minimum amount of damage to the target, but I am not sure what the minimum is - I think it has to be half of the target's hull or something.

Quote:
I think an easier & more accurate way to run a leaderboard would be to keep track of only a few things, like damage & healing. I further believe that there should be 3 leaderboards, 1 for Tac, Sci, & Engi, It could be further subdivided into PVP & PVE, & space & ground.
This could be an additional sorting / finegrained view option. My idea is ultimately that we track tons of statistics, and allow different views on them, and some of them are used for a small reward system in form of accolades, trophies, and item/currency rewards. A distinction along the lines of ship & player class makes sense to me here.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Love the idea Mustrum! Very well thought out and presented. I hope this idea is taken seriously by the powers that be......
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I don't think deaths should be kept track of. Otherwise people will log out to avoid them.

I also have a problem with a "kill" count, because of the way STO keeps track of kills. The way it works now, if 5 people focus fire & kill a ship, Each of them get a kill on the scoreboard. Unless that was changed, it seems to me that all you have to do to inflate this number is to use a large number of AOE attacks., or constantly switch targets.

I think an easier & more accurate way to run a leaderboard would be to keep track of only a few things, like damage & healing. I further believe that there should be 3 leaderboards, 1 for Tac, Sci, & Engi, classes. It could be further subdivided into PVP & PVE, & space & ground.

The only PVP scores that should count are Queued matches, I know 2 people who have multiple computers & accounts, who do their PVP dailies by logging on both accounts, & doing private matches against themselves.
To avoid using this to skew the leaderboard results, private matches should NOT count.
Anyway, That's my 2 EC's worth

EDIT-I guess accolade points could also be added in there, & possibly crafting points as well.
You bring up very good points to consider for when they decide to implement it. Tracking kills and deaths would be open to some serious problems simply due to the way the game mechanics function.

Nice post!

Edit: Anyone else think this could use a sticky? We can collaborate here to assist in brainstorming for when the devs can get around to implementing this system.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatmaker69 View Post

Edit: Anyone else think this could use a sticky? We can collaborate here to assist in brainstorming for when the devs can get around to implementing this system.
/signed

10/char
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-21-2011, 05:17 AM
The moderators are stingy with stickies. :p
Is there any procedure to follow? Sending PMs or reporting the post as stickable (seems to be an abuse of the function, so probably not.)
I'd prefer not to asking for stickiness myself, since that sounds lame and self-absorbant.

Anyway, on to some ideas. I suggested earlier we might need to discuss in more detail how "rewards" would look like.

Rewards
In general I assume that we track the leaderboards on a "per tier" basis, as otherwise many won'T make sense. We could handle this on a score-specific level as well - wins and losses do not directly depend on tier, but stuff like damage output or healing would definitely depend on it.

Accolade
Accolades are tracking your success on the leaderboards. There might be seperate accolades for all major statistics tracked there, or we might just track a general "leaderboard" accolade.
I suggest the following more specific categories that could be applied either for each satistic or across the board:
Top 10: Every time you have been in the Top 10 is tracked. There might be an accolade for having been in the top 10 once, 3 times, 6 times, and 12 times.
Top 1-3: If you have been among the top 3, this is seperately tracked from the top 10, with simliar frequency denotions as for the top 10.

Trophy
The tropies are linked to the aforementioned accolades. The 1, 3, 6, 12 and 24 trophies might only have subtle differences (e.g. something denoting the number.)

Item Rewards
There are several options here.

Unique Leaderboard Item Token
A new form of currency that can be used to buy in a "Leaderboards" store.
Pro: This allows granting access to a selection of unique gear.
Con: Yet another form of currency, and unique gear only available to a very few players might be wasteful, and promote needless elitism and antagonism between players.

Currency Rewards
Granting Emblems, (Bridge Officer) Skill Points, Merits and Energy Credits would be simple and tie into the existing reward system. A special consideration here is that Emblems are only useful for end-game. We might want to use the lower tier Badge system for lower tiers.
Effectively, these rewards are "monthly" rewards, which means they need to be somewhat substantial to be of any notable interest. Currently, if you PvP every day (and do not use other Emblem sources), you would get about 90 Emblems.
1st Place: 60 Emblems; 400 Skill Points x Tier; 400 Merits x Tier; 40,000 EC per tier
2nd Place: 40 Emblems; 300 Skill Points x Tier; 300 Merits x Tier; 30,000 EC per tier
3rd Place: 20 Emblems; 200 Skill Points x Tier; 200 Merits x Tier; 20,000 EC per Tier
4th to 10th Place: 15 Emblems; 100 Skill POints x Tier; 100 Merits x Tier; 10,000 EC per Tier
If these values seem too high or too low, they can of course be adjusted.

Pro: We don't need any special system in place to give out rewards. It all exists already.
Cons: ???

PvP Specific Currency
This is a hybrid of the unique item token and the currency reward system. We basically re-introduce the distinction that existed for Exploration for the Badge and the Mark currencies. This allows to put different items in different stores. Everyone would get this currency by doing PvP, and the ones with the top results would get some rewards quicker as they earn more of them, theoretically at least.
Pro: We can hand out different items for the different badge/mark/emblem vendors, providing an incentive to try out different elements of the game.
Con: We make the currency system more complicated again.

Item Reward Examples
  • PvP Item Set - good only for doing it once
  • Consumables - incentive to continnually PvP to refresh expended consumables, but might seem low reward (or requires overpowered consumable)
  • Random Item - random items lead to unsatisfying results
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Well, even if we can't get this stickied (it should be though, this is an important and constructive discussion for a realisable game system, with good ideas), a little suggestion - when the next Ask Cryptic comes up, how about we all submit questions specifically related to the implementation of leaderboards, in the hopes of getting a more specific answer from DStahl on where their thinking is with this and what sort of time frame we might be looking at? (and perhaps also linking to this thread)
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
id be happy if they updated the end game scoreboard with 2 additional scores 1. damage to shields and 2. damage received.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipermist
id be happy if they updated the end game scoreboard with 2 additional scores 1. damage to shields and 2. damage received.
That would also be a small step... (IN general I think it would be interesting to track hull and shield numbers...)
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-29-2011, 06:51 AM
You wouldnt like it too much. Id be at the top of every leaderboard since im an allstar.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
You wouldnt like it too much. Id be at the top of every leaderboard since im an allstar.
Ah, simple solution - you don't see entries for people on your ignore list on the leaderboards. :p

That would make us all first place! Everyone can be a winner today!