Lt. Commander
# 1 Spec's
03-22-2011, 07:27 AM
There have been a few mentions of the idea of PvP only skills and when I read that my first thought was that with the current speccing system it really is unrealistic seeing as you would have to then spec into those PvP skills making you less effective if you wanted to PvE at any given time.

So I began to think of the possibility of a revamp of the current speccing system. I know I know with so many other things needing a look at this is probably akin to throwing my needle into a haystack and expecting cryptic to have a magnet handy. Nonehteless here it is.

GW and Rift have handled the multi specc issue very well and with a finite amount of powers you can actually take into battle it should be easy for Cryptic to implement something like those games have. Specifically the ability to quickly transfer between specs with attribute points, BOff layouts, ship choice and weapons layout all saved between specs. Heck I would even pay 300-400 Cryptic Points to buy spec slots.

Fact is that I would love to have a PvE build and a PvP build that I can easily switch between without having to compromise.

Feel free to tell me where I am wrong where I am right or how you would implement such a change if you had the chance.

Thanks for not flaming me too bad
Drome
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
I think this could be fairly simply dealt with by splitting up the skill points between space points and ground points. You build space skill points through space encounters and ground points through ground encounters (just like equipment). This way people who have no interest in ground wouldn't be forced into it (same for those who aren't particularly fond of space).

The current skill point cap (72,700) should be specifically for space. Reason being, this change would have the least amount of impact for people who are primarily space specced anyway. I'm too lazy to do the math, but the skill point cap for the ground tree should be a percentage equal to the percentage of skill points for space.

Now that doesn't address other issues like swapping ship types or the inefficient weapon costs but it would create a bit more flexibility.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Thats along the lines of what I mean but more so the idea of different space builds. For example when I play my Eng/Cruiser I have to seperate play styles, one for PvE and one for PvP.

My PvE is geared more for offense and so I would be willing to sacrifice certain areas in the engineering tree to put more points in high end weapons areas and such whereas in PvP I'm geared for healing and support and in that case I need to spend alot of points to max out skills in the engineering tree sacrificing points in the energy and projectile trees. I'd like to be able to switch out between the two playstyles depending on wether I'm running dailies or PvP'ing.

Drome
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, a toggle for PvP/PvE skill sets or ground/space skill sets is really needed. Hell, I'd like to toggle between skill sets for the T5 ships I own. Lately, I've been slowly taking points out of my main's ground skills and strengthening my space skills as I play more PvP and ignore PvE & ground missions. Anything to stand a chance against the klinks while playing a fed...