Lt. Commander
# 61
03-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Not only is it a fuster cluck, but its a struggle to figure out just which object is even being targeted. The colors are too similar! We need better contrast between our target and the other things out there, or at least the ability to customize it for those of us who are going blind, lol.
It's not a "good" solution, and should not be required, but I think there is an option to have only the HP bar of your target shown, so at least you have that green highlighter bar to indicate the active target. I think the option that causes the inverse of this is called "always show HP bars" or something, so turning that off might help with targetting. It also robs you of a lot of crucial information for selecting targets, but maybe the lesser of evils for dealing with spam.
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
If your machine exceeds the recommended requirements there should never be an issue.

Exactly.
That's the problem, my rig can snap sto over it's knee on max specs, while having a good Cable connection, and still during the heaviest spam moments it chugs. The spam in of itself is so bad, that you literally at times can not physically see the target, no matter what angle you try to view it at. And spam can be generated so quickly by a true spam team that even a dedicated AOE team can't clear it out fast enough.
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
It's not a "good" solution, and should not be required, but I think there is an option to have only the HP bar of your target shown, so at least you have that green highlighter bar to indicate the active target. I think the option that causes the inverse of this is called "always show HP bars" or something, so turning that off might help with targetting. It also robs you of a lot of crucial information for selecting targets, but maybe the lesser of evils for dealing with spam.
You are right. This game is full of ways to work around a problem but most of them create another issue. These solutions are a lot like taking a prescription for acne but that also leads to erectile dysfunction. What we need is better implementation and less jerry-rigging.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Exactly.
That's the problem, my rig can snap sto over it's knee on max specs, while having a good Cable connection, and still during the heaviest spam moments it chugs. The spam in of itself is so bad, that you literally at times can not physically see the target, no matter what angle you try to view it at. And spam can be generated so quickly by a true spam team that even a dedicated AOE team can't clear it out fast enough.
Part of me believes the lag is more on the server side especially UI lag. Because of the sheer fact you can have itunes running and interfaced with the game on our side. Before this spamfest I could have my other computer running windows update and be downloading torrents on a third computer and the game would run with no hiccups. But as a poster said I guess I need to upgrade.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I can't help but find these random comments about adjusting video settings and adapting to "game play" to be somewhat ridiculous. It's interesting that these "learn to play" responses seem to be coming from folks who don't necessarily grasp just what exactly the problem is. I wonder just how long a band of these spam-is-no-big-deal players would last before rage quitting against one of the spammer teams out there.

Nah they would just need to get a new rig because evidently there current one would not be up to snuff.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
I love this argument, if this game says minimum: dual core processor, 1 GB ram, and Nvidia 9800 vid card plus 10GB of hard drive space and I have settings turned all the way down I should be able to play this game seamlessly but very blandly no matter what.

Now I have a Quad Core AMD 3.0 per core, 8 GB of ram, GTX470, 850 PSU, definitely enough Hard drive space, my processor and GPu never get above 39 degrees C but for some reason I get UI lag but only when I have eleventy billion pieces of trash running across the screen. So with my rig I guess I need to upgrade to what a six core or maybe a sun microsystems machine.

If your machine exceeds the recommended requirements there should never be an issue.
There might be actually two things at work here:
1) Cryptic is exceeding its own recommended requirements by some of the stuff happening these days. That shouldn't happen, of course.

2) It might not really be UI Lag, e.g. your graphic cards or computer that is causing the problem. It might genuinely be that the servers don't update all the myriad object information fast enough. Unlike torpedo or beam animation, that can just be calculated by your PC, the positions and movements of targetable objects [i]has/I] to be calculated by the server. I think that is the type of problem Chaddington alluded to - creating all these objects is costly for the servers.

I really suspect there is a lot more of 2) going on then 1). 1) might be a problem with maps like Solar Wind. But 2) could really be a problem with server load and bandwith and all the nasty parts there.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
I find there are certain advantages to tuning these values. I found it useful to show health bars when a target is getting damaged, for example. That is something that helps you identifying targets of opportunity, for example.
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I've been checking back with this game after quitting for several months. When I left, spam was already a problem, but now it's even worse,since deployables are more common.

The targeting issues and occasional lag bug me a bit, but the thing that really gets me is that it's not Star Trek. Carriers might be okay; they don't show up in canon, but they're fine as a special exception. But every ship launching fighters and mines is just stupid.

Honestly, I think Cryptic just needs to go through and eliminate every NPC that doesn't absolutely need to be there. Carriers need fighters, so they should mostly be left alone, but decreasing the number of fighters while increasing their power might help.

Scorpion fighters don't need to exist, they should just be removed and replaced with some other quest reward.

Fleet support kind of makes sense, but the allied ships that fly in to rescue you ought to be team-mates, not NPCs. Take it out.

Mines of all types need to be reduced. They aren't very common in canon; they exist, but they are almost never worth carrying as evidenced by the fact that ships which are sent into battle are almost never equipped with them. I wouldn't mind if they did a lot more damage, since hitting a mine is generally a major even in canon, but we shouldn't see ships spamming clouds of dozens of them. The best way I could think of to reduce mines would be to just give them a very long cooldown.

The little fighters and fleet support drones that some ships have should be removed and replaced with other abilities.

Photonic Fleet is part of the problem, but it wasn't too much of a problem before all the extra spam was added, and it seems more fitting with Star Trek than the other spam, so it should probably be left alone.

Most of all, nothing that adds deployables should be added to the game ever again, for any reason. You can't cut back to a reasonable amount of spam if new spam is going to be added later. No more quest reward mines, no more drones, no more fighters. Just stop. If Cryptic thinks they have a really great idea that involves some sort of pet, they need to take a step back and figure out how to do something similar without the pet, or just scrap the idea.

I know some players love pets, or like builds that rely on spam. Screw them. The spam destroyed the game, so keeping it to appease some players is not an option. The thing that really bugs me is that spam was already getting out of hand months ago, but Cryptic's solution was to give everyone deployables rather than to tone down the ones that already existed.

There needs to be a hard line on spam reduction. If a deployable isn't absolutely necessary to game balance, it needs to be gone. If my Marauder cruiser doesn't need fighters to function well (it doesn't) then the fighters need to be removed. It's pretty clear that the unescapable spam has wrecked the game.
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
After doing a few Arenas yesterday and being both on the receiving and delivering (via my pug team... I hate spamming people) sides of spam, I can say that it's not fun for anyone. Being spam obviously sucks, and there's no fun in spamming the other team; it's cheap and there's no skill involved, so there's no joy in defeating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
If my Marauder cruiser doesn't need fighters to function well (it doesn't) then the fighters need to be removed.
Ugh, I had forgotten about those. While we were in the beginning stages of the "Spam Wars", the Devs went ahead and added Support Drones and Interceptors to the KDF ships. Slick.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post

Ugh, I had forgotten about those. While we were in the beginning stages of the "Spam Wars", the Devs went ahead and added Support Drones and Interceptors to the KDF ships. Slick.
That was about when I stopped playing. I left largely because of PvP spam, and had been hoping Cryptic would have fixed their game by now.

Carriers could be a nuisance, but it's not so bad having to use specific abilities to counter carrier-spam. the problem is really more that *every* ship contributes to spam.

I kind of think that Cryptic needs to start reverting things. Leave the carriers, an photonic fleet, then look at every pet added since then and ask "is this absolutely necessary for game balance?" If the answer is "no", then the pet should be removed, or replaced with a different ability that doesn't spawn pets.