Lt. Commander
# 1 Fleet Farming
03-25-2011, 07:25 AM
There's been something that has been bothering me a little.

I noticed the other day that so many people have ageis / borg equip. I asked one person how they liked crafting and they replied they didn't craft it their fleet "farms" the equipment.

Now here's the thing.If the special equipment was designed for those who proved skill in crafting and or the STF missions yet much more and more people have access to them because of fleet farms how does it become fair to the people that worked to get those items?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I think it provides more of an alternative. For example, there are some people who enjoy doing the Fleet Actions with their Fleetmates and they farm the instance to get everyone in the group the Borg/Aegis techs.

However, there are players, like myself, that enjoy raising their crafting level and don't do Fleet Actions as much. I personally, have only done two FA's.

It's just more options to attain the same end. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the sets for sale on the C-Store. No one would buy it, but you never know. I like the fact that I can get gear without having to do FA's.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
That is a good point... I just wish there were some things that proved you did the work and not easily exploited.

I did all the task forces... took a while for ones like the cure and KA but i felt proud that i was able to display all my borg equip and even was considering crafting to give myself a little more edge but everyone has it. Problem comes in to play when you enter pvps now where there's so much ageis and borg equip that no one has much more of an edge on anyone .. its like your almost waiting for someone to slip up so you can give them a critical hit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
My fleet has a "fleet shop" that hosts a limited selection of endgame stuff like Aegis sets. Any member can craft this stuff, either with stores drawn from our particles and anomalies bank, or with their own supplies. The gear is sold at a substantial discount below exchange prices, only to fleet members, and all proceeds stay in the fleet bank. This sort of support is pretty much the entire point of having a fleet.

The Aegis stuff in particular is some of the easiest purple gear to come by in game, so I'm not sure that anyone has ever perceived it as a status symbol. If you save all your rare traces while leveling a toon up, it's almost guaranteed you will have enough for at least one Aegis set when you hit RA, likely several. The stuff that is a real pain to farm is a full set of purple weapons for your ship, or gear for your ground crew. That stuff takes a looooong time, since each item needs 3 or more of the same type of trace, and certain traces are dramatically overused in the bills of material.

You could already buy Aegis sets off the exchange fairly cheap, since they're in pretty wide supply. So I'm not sure how getting them through your fleet is any "worse" than that. If you were assuming that they implied some sort of status, then I think you were just seeing something that wasn't there. I don't particularly care how anyone gets any gear in the game, as long as I have reasonable options for getting the same stuff myself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Let fleets do what they do, its not "Farming" its collecting :p No, Let em do it, its not an exploit, they are just crafting lots of aeigis and running lots of STFs, its not a crime, Though my fleet doesnt do it. Though i do belive the sets were a bad idea, cause they are to OP and to easy to get! I think Crypic has to nerf the current ones and make extreamly hard ones to get! And right now, Yes borg and aeigus is EXTREAMLY easy to farm. STFs recently got nerfed and they dont have any challenge, have u fought Armek recently, he goes down faster then a heavy tactical drone!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-26-2011, 08:51 AM
erm... i just BOUGHT my two aegis-sets at the exchange :p on for my fed-main, one for my kling-thing
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I am a member of two fleets: one Fed and the other KDF. In the KDF fleet, my friend who helped found it, is our crafter. In the Fed fleet, I'm the crafter and have already crafted 4 sets of Aegis gear.

If your fleet has a crafter all you have to do is tell him/her what you want crafted and go out and get the required anomalies for it. In the Fed fleet that I'm in, everyone just puts the anomalies they scanned into the fleet bank, tell me what they want, and after I crafted it I mail it to them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Their are a few fleets out their that will run the task forces for you for a couple of mil per one ;p (you literally just turn up and stand their)

In terms of profit, ill craft aegis for free for anyone who provides me mats - their just not all that hard to come by ( day one/two of aegis patch, i was selling them for 15-20mil per piece, now you can pick them up for 500k easily )
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Not seeing the issue...

To get the Aegis gear requires, no matter how you spin it, an investment of time. It takes, on average, a little under two months(?) for the general player to reach Rear Admiral. Unless they horde every EC they earn, farm like crazy and calculate every need, want, loss and gain, even after that time it is unlikely they will have the cash to buy an entire Aegis set in one go. They are either stupidly expensive, or require you to invest a good deal of time in getting your research skill up to the required numbers... Not to mention the number of rare particle traces you need to make all three.

If you are in a fleet that just happens to have the resources to give every person who asks a full Aegis set, irrespective of your rank within that fleet... then all I can ask is "What fleet and where do I sign?"

Certainly fleets often have crafters who can make things for you, but in general, they will always require you to give them the materials. I made an Aegis set for a fleet member the other day - it wasn't a problem, and they provided every item I needed to do the job.

if you're suggesting that the Aegis be made "Bind on Pickup" like the Borg items though... Well, thats a pretty good way of killing the crafting trade.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Pardon, but what's the problem?

I can't speak for other fleets but we have a few fleet bank tabs for data samples and fleet crafters. If any fleet member needs something the crafters craft it. It's a system of combining resources and in my eyes a positive thing. Somebody needs an aegis set? No problem. Not everybody has to max out his/her crafting skills and waste samples.

For the borg stuff, it is bind on pickup, so you have to do the STF to get it for yourself.