Lt. Commander
# 1 Interacting with Consoles
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Id like the player char interact with a computer console. When the player uses the console, a dialog should start, like the "Enemy mine" - Mission, where a player needs to use a console to decrypt a message. Is that possible in foundry yet?
Lt. Commander
# 2 Nope
03-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I wish it was but it is't yet
Lt. Commander
# 3 Yes it can...
03-25-2011, 03:37 PM
In the map you wish this to happen, you will need the following objects...

1. A console.
2. An invisible object (10ft)
3. A Place Marker
4. A Dialog Marker

First

Place the console, visible immediately, never hidden

Second

Place a place marker on top of the console.

Third

Place the invisible object on top of the console, immediately hidden, visible on component reached of the place marker. On the invisible object, in the trigger menu, edit the 'Interact' button to what you want it to say, like 'Access Console' or whatever, but the trigger menu won't show up until you do the fourth...

Fourth

Place the dialog marker and make it visible on component complete of the invisible object.

now you have a console when approached will trigger the invisible object to interact with, once the interaction with the console is done the dialog will pop up.

this is just one way to do it too...

hope this helps your mission
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Sounds very good. Ill try that - thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
You could also skip the invisible object and use the console itself as a trigger. However, this will mean that the console will flash.

the question is, is flashing items good or bad? Most of the time, I use an invisible object like Elkysium explained. Sometimes, however, I want the player to see immediately what he can interact with.

Also, you can use several invisible objects that have different triggers but actually only one flashing console (except if you remove and replace the console all the time).
Lt. Commander
# 6 Build in
03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Can you do that also with example a bridge console that build into the map ??
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter1978
Should work just fine that way

Though you may have to adjust the radius so the player can hit it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter1978

Well, you cannot select a map console as an interactive object, so no flashing there. But the thing with the invisible object always for - for everything. That's why there are invisible objects, I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkysium View Post
In the map you wish this to happen, you will need the following objects...

1. A console.
2. An invisible object (10ft)
3. A Place Marker
4. A Dialog Marker

First

Place the console, visible immediately, never hidden

Second

Place a place marker on top of the console.

Third

Place the invisible object on top of the console, immediately hidden, visible on component reached of the place marker. On the invisible object, in the trigger menu, edit the 'Interact' button to what you want it to say, like 'Access Console' or whatever, but the trigger menu won't show up until you do the fourth...

Fourth

Place the dialog marker and make it visible on component complete of the invisible object.

now you have a console when approached will trigger the invisible object to interact with, once the interaction with the console is done the dialog will pop up.

this is just one way to do it too...

hope this helps your mission
Works perfect, but only one time. What do Ihave to add, when I want to "use" the console again and again?
Is it able to create a task with this system, that is completed, when the player uses a special dialog path?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-26-2011, 07:04 AM
As I said, just place several invisible objects on top og each other (or, actually, whithin each other) and let the second (third,...) invisible object become "visible" (so to speak) when the previous invisible object had been triggered.