Lt. Commander
# 1 Some thoughts and suggestions
03-27-2011, 10:04 PM
With the teased approach of season 4 and the revamping of various earlier missions underway I think there are a few things Cryptic needs to address and be informed of in order to make the game a better experience. Many of these are suggested improvements, bugs that have been overlooked and given copy-pasta responses, or just simple things. Here goes.

1. Lifers - Now I'm not a lifer, but, Lifer's need more love. They dedicated a large sum of money in faith to you at the get go with little promise of return. And for all they had at the beginning they now only bear a comm badge and a title as their own. Champions has a program of giving C-points to its lifers, even half of that given to lifers per month would be a good incentive to continue playing. And if you give them a little bit each month, when something cool comes out they're more likely to spend a little extra to get the points to buy it. A few things could be added to give lifers some love as well. The Wells class for Tier 6 (with Universal slots) on the Fed side and the Voodieh-class (with universal slots) on the KDF side, as well as the 29th Century uniforms and Worf's alternate future uniform.

2. Uniforms and the Tailor - We have seen with Champions online the possibilities of the Tailor... to the point where I rarely play champions now because it makes me sad seeing all the possibilities that aren't in STO. The shear level of customization is mind blowing, and while I realize that some things cannot translate over to STO, things like being able to select how your weapons look. It seems simple enough to have an option in the tailor to select that our rifles all look like Mark-IV phasers or something. As we gain weapons by loot and mission rewards we unlock their appearances in the tailor.

3. Ship pricing. No, this isn't a rant about the C-store, annoy me as it does the C-store helps fund improvements to the game. But the in game pricing of the ships needs to change. 500 emblems for a normal ship is hefty. 400 would be better, 300 would be golden. Items like the Seige Destroyer should be 500 granted, but in addition every ship that is Vice Admiral/Lt. General with the exception of the Galaxy-X should be purchasable at the achievement of VA/LT.G with the ship token you get at that level. Leveling a character to that point is more than enough grinding to earn whatever ship for that single character. You lose no money on this, and it makes more sense for the purchasing of other classes via the C-store.

4. Attention to detail. Recently you changed the transporter animation to be more in line with the IP. This is good. There are however more things you need to address to go with this.

4a. Romulans and Thalaron Mines - We've seen in the movies that Romulans are just as susceptible to Thalaron radiation as anybody else. When a Romulan drops a mine, they should avoid it, if they can't when it goes off, it should nuke them as much as anybody else. Also, while you have made efforts to have BO's avoid the Romulan mines, they still tend to make small campfires around them and roast marshmallows as their insides are petrified.

4b. The Borg (ground) - The Borg look nothing like the IP. They run faster than us, they jump higher than Catians, they shoot farther than sniper rifles, they assimilate via their elbows from dozens of meters away while looking at other people, and targeting someone else. Nerfing has nothing to do with it FIXING it has everything to do with it. Fix their appearance, fix their speed and jump parameters, and make it so their powers stick to their specific range. Assimilation should only work within a meter at most.

4c. The Borg (Space) - Firstly remove the shields from the Borg, they never used them. Secondly increase their hull and give it an adaptive ability with a temporary buff to damage types they're taking (with exception to anti-borg ship weapons). Add a bit more of variety to their ships, replace the pseudo-spheres we have now with the probes from Voyager, add the Diamonds in place of the current cubes, and lower the spawn rate of cubes to 4 man groups, and Tac cubes to three man groups. Also an STF or Fleet action based on taking down a Tactical Fusion Cube would be a brilliant idea.

The Borg Shield neutralizer also needs a nerf. In the IP it takes four shots to disable the Big E. In the game it takes one shot to down the shields of a ship that is decades more advanced. Each shot should instantly drain a bit of shield power and lower the shields on all facings by a percent, not in total. Also Engineering team should negate it.

4d. Small details. Minor things like the Klingon in Doomsday Machine who says "Look_Around_Kneel" and the Romulus satellite in Taris that has an interact button labled "interact". One or two of these are oversights, many of them appear as laziness.

5. Ground Combat - Various styles of weapons could be added now to ground combat. Worf's Iso-magnetic desintigrator from Insurrection, the Photon and Quantum bursts from the Elite Force games, shotguns like the "Federation Assault Rifle" in Elite Force 2.

These are all just a few ideas that could seriously be used to help the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
With the teased approach of season 4 and the revamping of various earlier missions underway I think there are a few things Cryptic needs to address and be informed of in order to make the game a better experience. Many of these are suggested improvements, bugs that have been overlooked and given copy-pasta responses, or just simple things. Here goes.

1. Lifers - Now I'm not a lifer, but, Lifer's need more love. They dedicated a large sum of money in faith to you at the get go with little promise of return. And for all they had at the beginning they now only bear a comm badge and a title as their own. Champions has a program of giving C-points to its lifers, even half of that given to lifers per month would be a good incentive to continue playing. And if you give them a little bit each month, when something cool comes out they're more likely to spend a little extra to get the points to buy it. A few things could be added to give lifers some love as well. The Wells class for Tier 6 (with Universal slots) on the Fed side and the Voodieh-class (with universal slots) on the KDF side, as well as the 29th Century uniforms and Worf's alternate future uniform.

2. Uniforms and the Tailor - We have seen with Champions online the possibilities of the Tailor... to the point where I rarely play champions now because it makes me sad seeing all the possibilities that aren't in STO. The shear level of customization is mind blowing, and while I realize that some things cannot translate over to STO, things like being able to select how your weapons look. It seems simple enough to have an option in the tailor to select that our rifles all look like Mark-IV phasers or something. As we gain weapons by loot and mission rewards we unlock their appearances in the tailor.

3. Ship pricing. No, this isn't a rant about the C-store, annoy me as it does the C-store helps fund improvements to the game. But the in game pricing of the ships needs to change. 500 emblems for a normal ship is hefty. 400 would be better, 300 would be golden. Items like the Seige Destroyer should be 500 granted, but in addition every ship that is Vice Admiral/Lt. General with the exception of the Galaxy-X should be purchasable at the achievement of VA/LT.G with the ship token you get at that level. Leveling a character to that point is more than enough grinding to earn whatever ship for that single character. You lose no money on this, and it makes more sense for the purchasing of other classes via the C-store.

4. Attention to detail. Recently you changed the transporter animation to be more in line with the IP. This is good. There are however more things you need to address to go with this.

4a. Romulans and Thalaron Mines - We've seen in the movies that Romulans are just as susceptible to Thalaron radiation as anybody else. When a Romulan drops a mine, they should avoid it, if they can't when it goes off, it should nuke them as much as anybody else. Also, while you have made efforts to have BO's avoid the Romulan mines, they still tend to make small campfires around them and roast marshmallows as their insides are petrified.

4b. The Borg (ground) - The Borg look nothing like the IP. They run faster than us, they jump higher than Catians, they shoot farther than sniper rifles, they assimilate via their elbows from dozens of meters away while looking at other people, and targeting someone else. Nerfing has nothing to do with it FIXING it has everything to do with it. Fix their appearance, fix their speed and jump parameters, and make it so their powers stick to their specific range. Assimilation should only work within a meter at most.

4c. The Borg (Space) - Firstly remove the shields from the Borg, they never used them. Secondly increase their hull and give it an adaptive ability with a temporary buff to damage types they're taking (with exception to anti-borg ship weapons). Add a bit more of variety to their ships, replace the pseudo-spheres we have now with the probes from Voyager, add the Diamonds in place of the current cubes, and lower the spawn rate of cubes to 4 man groups, and Tac cubes to three man groups. Also an STF or Fleet action based on taking down a Tactical Fusion Cube would be a brilliant idea.

The Borg Shield neutralizer also needs a nerf. In the IP it takes four shots to disable the Big E. In the game it takes one shot to down the shields of a ship that is decades more advanced. Each shot should instantly drain a bit of shield power and lower the shields on all facings by a percent, not in total. Also Engineering team should negate it.

4d. Small details. Minor things like the Klingon in Doomsday Machine who says "Look_Around_Kneel" and the Romulus satellite in Taris that has an interact button labled "interact". One or two of these are oversights, many of them appear as laziness.

5. Ground Combat - Various styles of weapons could be added now to ground combat. Worf's Iso-magnetic desintigrator from Insurrection, the Photon and Quantum bursts from the Elite Force games, shotguns like the "Federation Assault Rifle" in Elite Force 2.

These are all just a few ideas that could seriously be used to help the game.

Anyone can become a lifer. Im a lifer. Have been for several weeks. Cost me far more though. I love your idea of the wells class. It was something I was going to promote in my own thread before it got locked. Also love the idea of 29th century uniforms, though my current crew's uniforms are very similar to the light suits worn in Tron Legacy.

I am also +1 to your idea of increased customisation in the tailor, but not making weapons look like other weapons. Thats just inappropriate for the IP.

I love the rest of your ideas as well about attention to detail. One of which is that Romulans WOULD NOT use Thaleron weapons. The risk to their own people is too great, and Romulans at least care about that. The proposed fixing of borg jump heights and speeds also applies to the rest. Fix jump heights, fix speeds, and you can rescale the interiors to be appropriately sized for a science fiction game centred around, on average, human heighted life forms, not superheros or giants.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2011, 12:58 AM
The point about being a lifer mostly comes from my fleet. A lot of them have been lifers since the beta, and i've been thinking of saving up to be one, but when I listen to how everything they had that was theirs is not available to everybody, save a badge and a title It makes me rethink dumping the funds in. Plus, the Captains table isn't very impressive, I may not be a lifer, or even a 400 day vet, but I've been in the Captains table... its... insulting really.

I do agree that the Romulans would not use Thalaron weapons, but, eh, it gives them something unique. And yes the jump height stuff really needs to be fixed. I mean if I'm doing infected and i spend a good 2-3 minutes getting in a good 'snipers nest' and a borg drone merely can leap up a good 20 feet and assimilate me somethings wrong.

And yeah you're right about making any weapon look like any other weapon but if I have a mark XI phaser rifle, and i want it to look like a Mark V phaser rifle (which I do) I should be able to make a phaser look like any other phaser I have.